The PENON official thread
Mar 18, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #7,966 of 13,726
Hakugei Shadow ordered for the Impact

D09445B8-E0AA-4A43-8225-D038F1A5E0DA.jpeg

Mar 18, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #7,967 of 13,726
Serial is sublime with everything I have tried, its also one of the IEMs that has paired the best with my Feliks Audio Echo OTL amp. The sound gets even meatier and has an expanded soundstage with it.

DSCF1821.jpg
That's a huge Holographic machine right there...

Mar 19, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #7,969 of 13,726
Serial vs Globe, what are pros and cons? Cannot decide...🙈 Which one do you like better if you tried both? 😀
I enjoy both but I listen to Globe more. Globe's rumbly bass is just addicting to me along with its balanced warm signature. I've found great synergy with the pac480 cable plus Sony W1MZ and Fiio M15. This is probably the most enjoyable hybrid I've listened to which is surprising because I didn't have much expectations for Globe given its 2ba + 1dd configuration. Serial sounds great with Mojo and has a better snug fit than the Globe.

Mar 19, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #7,970 of 13,726
Serial vs Globe, what are pros and cons? Cannot decide...🙈 Which one do you like better if you tried both? 😀

Tony has videos on both, well worth a watch.

Mar 19, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #7,972 of 13,726

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-penon-official-thread.934523/post-17453532

I didn't manager to follow through on the Serial vs Globe topic. Sorry 'bout that.
Globes have more impactful bass and brighter treble, larger scale of imaging.
Whilst the Serials, despite having less of the above, is Holographic, really very good 3d, due to exceptional Stage depth.
Having said that, Globes are more closed in - intimate if you may, due to a larger scale of imaging.
I can imagine Globes will pair best with Shanling, Fiio and Sony dap house sound.
Serial is more forgiving on bad recordings, due to its analogue tuning, please note the treble output is Not rolled off, they're simply not as bright as the Globes.

Serial
Pros
Huge holographic sound field
Excellent stage depth and height
Coherent
Neutral Mids
Analogue tuned, but not treble roll off
If you love your vinyl, you should get a pair of this
Cons
Not for detail heads
Not for treble heads

Globe
Pros
Large scale of imaging
Energetic lower treble
Big Bass
Nice bright treble
Neutral Mids
Cons
Not for detail heads (the Fan 2 is)
Due to the large scale of imaging, there is the impression the staging is closed in

Mar 19, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #7,973 of 13,726
Already watched it 😃🤟 to me it seems like he's more enthusiastic about the Serial, but likes both :)
I do know him and talked many times. Yeah he is a fan of the Penon Serial, he has been into audio since the time of the big old speakers👌

Mar 19, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #7,974 of 13,726

Interested in knowing your opinion. I've started doing cable rotation to test, and it's hard to beat the original, even though it's very vocal oriented. Other of my cables, apparently better, enhance the details even more, and create a bit of fatigue after 1h, or trigger the range of the female voices too much.

I think your choice is very good. The Hakuhei Shadow has a build similar to Tri Wolfram, which is the one I've left for now after testing some of my arsenal, and it's turning out very well.

https://hifigo.com/products/tri-wolfram

photo_2023-03-19_12-09-32.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #7,975 of 13,726
562CE6D9-819E-4152-927E-CF3C5D0C3810.jpeg

Revisiting OSG + Impact, this time with the N7.

First things first. I still believe that Impact with its stock cable has a special synergy with the RS2 - or perhaps with R-2R in general - that makes me keep going back to it. It’s an unusually laid back and musical combination that belies its considerable technical ability. Meaning that it doesn’t push detail in your face, but detail is nevertheless present as part of the larger musical expression. Mids - especially vocals but also instruments - are just so effortlessly natural and liquid that it has been genuinely difficult to want anything else. It’s not unbeatable, but it soon became clear that for any other prospective pairing to succeed, it has to offer a somewhat different proposition.

The OSG together with the N7 makes the Impact’s technical abilities a little more apparent. It opens up the mids and brings with it a perception of greater definition, depth and layering. Not as lush as stock cable mids, but for those who find that stock mids are a little overcooked with their source, this could be a viable option.

If you’re looking for more visceral impact to kick drums, or to plumb more sub bass from the Impact, the N7 shows that the OSG can do that too. And if you love the transparency and holographic imaging of Impact out of the box, the OSG will refine that even more. It creates more space between notes and gives the impression of more detailed treble and crisper transients.

I think the OSG is staying on the Impact for a while.

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #7,976 of 13,726

D09445B8-E0AA-4A43-8225-D038F1A5E0DA.jpeg
Keen to hear how this goes as well.

Interested in knowing your opinion. I've started doing cable rotation to test, and it's hard to beat the original, even though it's very vocal oriented. Other of my cables, apparently better, enhance the details even more, and create a bit of fatigue after 1h, or trigger the range of the female voices too much.

I think your choice is very good. The Hakuhei Shadow has a build similar to Tri Wolfram, which is the one I've left for now after testing some of my arsenal, and it's turning out very well.

https://hifigo.com/products/tri-wolfram

photo_2023-03-19_12-09-32.jpg
Agree 100% - this is why I kept coming back to the stock cable as well. Still on the lookout for feedback on good pairing ideas.

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #7,977 of 13,726
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-penon-official-thread.934523/post-17453532

I didn't manager to follow through on the Serial vs Globe topic. Sorry 'bout that.
Globes have more impactful bass and brighter treble, larger scale of imaging.
Whilst the Serials, despite having less of the above, is Holographic, really very good 3d, due to exceptional Stage depth.
Having said that, Globes are more closed in - intimate if you may, due to a larger scale of imaging.
I can imagine Globes will pair best with Shanling, Fiio and Sony dap house sound.
Serial is more forgiving on bad recordings, due to its analogue tuning, please note the treble output is Not rolled off, they're simply not as bright as the Globes.

Serial
Pros
Huge holographic sound field
Excellent stage depth and height
Coherent
Neutral Mids
Analogue tuned, but not treble roll off
If you love your vinyl, you should get a pair of this
Cons
Not for detail heads
Not for treble heads

Globe
Pros
Large scale of imaging
Energetic lower treble
Big Bass
Nice bright treble
Neutral Mids
Cons
Not for detail heads (the Fan 2 is)
Due to the large scale of imaging, there is the impression the staging is closed in
Great summary. Both of them still have a space in my collection. It will mostly come down to your music library and preferences. Globe for a nice warm mid bass hump, Serial for the deepest, hardest-hitting sub bass in the Penonverse (though the EST50 may have something to say about that). It may also depend on how you plan to drive them. Globe is easy. You can drive them with pretty much anything. Serial loves a bit more juice, but as you can see from a bunch of recent posts (including mine) it scales up incredibly well.

Mar 19, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #7,978 of 13,726
Great summary. Both of them still have a space in my collection. It will mostly come down to your music library and preferences. Globe for a nice warm mid bass hump, Serial for the deepest, hardest-hitting sub bass in the Penonverse (though the EST50 may have something to say about that). It may also depend on how you plan to drive them. Globe is easy. You can drive them with pretty much anything. Serial loves a bit more juice, but as you can see from a bunch of recent posts (including mine) it scales up incredibly well.
Can you help me pick 2 out of sub 300$ from ISN +Penon catalog? (Globe can be included). I only have the Tangzu Heyday as my highend iem and i want to try something different. My playlist is quite diverse, but mostly movie/anime soundtrack and pop/jpop. I'm thinking about ISN H50 and Fan 2 but i'm affraid the tuning is too weird/different

Mar 19, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #7,979 of 13,726
Lots of good feedback already. I own both and would add that Serial has a natural timbre with its all DD configuration that Globe cannot match. Voices and instruments sound so realistic. Globe is not bad but you do get some of that BA plasticy timbre in comparison, Serial is just outstanding in that respect. Also, I actually hear more upper treble detail on Serial. May be partially the Mix cable I’m using with them but things like high hats and cymbals are more present and realistic on Serial with my setup.

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #7,980 of 13,726
Can you help me pick 2 out of sub 300$ from ISN +Penon catalog? (Globe can be included). I only have the Tangzu Heyday as my highend iem and i want to try something different. My playlist is quite diverse, but mostly movie/anime soundtrack and pop/jpop. I'm thinking about ISN H50 and Fan 2 but i'm affraid the tuning is too weird/different
Those 2 are both great IEMs, but are quite close in their tuning. Do you have preferences? Bright, detailed, thumping bass, warm tonality, easy listening, great vocals, etc? Hopefully we can guide you to 2 very different IEMs that both suit your tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back