The PENON official thread
Jan 14, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #7,053 of 13,766
Ich möchte nicht arrogant klingen, aber wenn Penon den Preis auf 1500 senkt, ist das eine andere Geschichte. Übrigens, was ist dieses VIP-Mitglied? Können Sie erklären? Ich besitze kein Penon Iem, also nehme ich an, dass ich keine Hoffnung habe, ein VIP-Mitglied zu werden.
You became an newsletter?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #7,055 of 13,766
I don't want to sound arrogant, but if Penon drop down the price to 1500, it is another story. Btw what is this VIP member? Can you explain? I don't own any Penon iem, so I suppose no hope for me to be a VIP member.
@1500-1700 USD; I'd call it a market disruptor and it would be the most recommended IEM with the driver configuration and tuning.

I agree $2,500 USD is expensive but compared to things like Trailii, Subtonic Storm, Vision Ears, Empire Ears, Aroma, etc. This is a bargin for sure.

I’d consider them if Penon offered a substantial discount to VIPs. Otherwise the $ are a deal breaker, not to mention the weird driver configuration.

Like I said before Subtonic Storm, Vision Ears, Empire Ears, Aroma, Orilous, etc. This is a bargin compared to those brands.

Still I agree $2k+ USD is a lot. And majority of people would be hesitant especially for a blind buy but if you want a TOTL iem, I'd rather get this than pay significantly more for others.

But I would always recommend people to audition first before dropping their $$$$ on a luxury items.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #7,057 of 13,766
701215D8-49E6-43FB-9C50-0070E7609D95.jpeg

Heading out to @Natesdailies for few days. Hopefully he can compare it against his Elysian X and XE6.

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #7,058 of 13,766
Absolutely intrigued by Impact - I typically find diminishing returns rears it's ugly head when I take the plunge with the various TOTL sets on the market, and question my sanity in owning sets at those price points. If Impact really does challenge at the $2.5k level, it has my attention, and might get to stay in the collection longer than sets considerably more expensive have managed to!

Is the included cable OSG?

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #7,059 of 13,766
Absolutely intrigued by Impact - I typically find diminishing returns rears it's ugly head when I take the plunge with the various TOTL sets on the market, and question my sanity in owning sets at those price points. If Impact really does challenge at the $2.5k level, it has my attention, and might get to stay in the collection longer than sets considerably more expensive have managed to!

Is a custom Obsidian.

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #7,060 of 13,766

If you look really close at it in the photographs you can see the slight gold additive. It’s really the perfect choice for how the cable tames (and expands) the lower midrange (and midrange) adding amazing spacial properties as well as soundstage girth. While the top-end maybe gets a slight smooth out, the cable is really clear and has great imaging out into the stage.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-obsidian.26143/reviews

Though the difference is that the regular Obsidian was 18K gold and this included cable is “custom” 24K. A hybrid cable made with OCC and gold.

Standard Obsidian:
Description:
4 shares, 100 cores per share, 400 cores in total
OCC+18K gold-plated OCC hybrid cable
Gold-plated copper + carbon fiber plug accessories
Length: 1.2m
Plug: gold-plated three-in-one plug (3.5mm/2.5mm/4.4mm)

F603CEE3-3393-4217-8F01-A8BB752E3C39.jpeg

In use with the old TOTL Encore, the feeling I got when joined was.....just leave it on.........literally I wanted to just keep using it, as it brought out the very best of the 10BA set, only second to the Totem in my cable collection!

The original Obsidian is a cable that comes a specific personality. IMO

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #7,062 of 13,766
I would be not truthful if I didn't express my personal endearment to the Totem. The Totem has been one of the single greatest experiences since I got into this hobby slightly over five decades ago. What it does is add separation, along with blackness and contrast. Yet what comes out the other end is a form of resolution where you hear simply deeper into the stage, thus instruments and vocals enlarge in size, but also offer interior details which would normally not be heard. Small items of volume changes and texture go one step further to substantiate a musical reality.
Impact w/Totem cable? Penon TOTL IEM w/Penon TOTL cable. :astonished:

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #7,063 of 13,766
Penon Impact. Thanks Jim for letting me borrow it for a couple days.

Both the fit and shell reminds me of the Traillii with a white opal coloured faceplate.

First thoughts sonically: It's resolving with clean separated transients in between instruments. The mids are great. Hearing rich vocals. The soundstage is spacious. The bass is nicely extended especially the sub bass. Getting lots of rumble. More thoughts later as I get more time in.

C9D1010D-63B9-455B-AD38-3636AC810A3F.jpeg

F530576E-314E-4D90-B0B2-B4BCA2BE5123.jpeg

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #7,065 of 13,766
Interesting that Penon went with the 4 Sonion BAs on the low end, especially considering that was the weakest point of the Legends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back