The PENON official thread
Jan 8, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #6,946 of 13,790
V shaped IEMs can be quite fun if the mids is also there, always loved V shape. Mids can be tiresome if not done right, but Penon knows how to do mids well without harsh or sibilance.

Also have a FAN on the way, actually have 3 single DD IEM's on the way now.

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #6,947 of 13,790
V shaped IEMs can be quite fun if the mids is also there, always loved V shape. Mids can be tiresome if not done right, but Penon knows how to do mids well without harsh or sibilance.

Also have a FAN on the way, actually have 3 single DD IEM's on the way now.
Penon IEMs seem to be quite responsive to tip and cable rolling so I'm sure I'll find something to suit me.

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #6,948 of 13,790
Penon IEMs seem to be quite responsive to tip and cable rolling so I'm sure I'll find something to suit me.
In listening reality, they're NOT that Mids recessed, though...

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #6,949 of 13,790
Looks like this coming year's...

1673170827592.png
1673170870930.png

1673170532995.png

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #6,950 of 13,790
Teaser, looks like the Facebook post where penon asked about design🤔

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #6,951 of 13,790
Looks nice and clean, very curious how the pricing going to be
FB_IMG_1673170983133.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #6,952 of 13,790
Jan 8, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #6,953 of 13,790
Jan 8, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #6,954 of 13,790
Wich differences with FAN2 successor?☺️
Fan 2 is more detailed, more refined in ALL aspects, albeit there's really NOTHING wrong with the Fan OG tuning. The one and only thing that Fan fans go back to the OG, should be the Bass. There are some comments the upper mids, lower treble region on the og can be excessive, This can be album dependent as well as source matching.
You folks know me for quite some time now, I very hardly drop some names just to bad mouth, but there are daps, dac dongles out there that are really bright, unusually bright to the point the IEM is always to blame, to be sibilant. On the other side of the coin, some sources can be reticent, again the IEM is to blame.
In a nutshell the Fan og is a really good in ear, even better for how much I paid to have them.

Fan 2's efficient, too. Direct from my iphone, is more than good enough. I can't do this on my Fan - it's either a Tradutto or the dx229 on high gain, amp high output then it gets to sing...

Jan 9, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #6,955 of 13,790
Jan 9, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #6,956 of 13,790
Always a upper limit, almost had to sell a kidney for my ZMFs. Must admit I'm not interested in using that much again for something 😅

Been interested in the Volt for a long time, tested it a few months ago and liked it.

Before deciding anything I wanna see where the new release go.

Is there any comparison around with Penon Legend and Volt?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #6,957 of 13,790
Always a upper limit, almost had to sell a kidney for my ZMFs. Must admit I'm not interested in using that much again for something 😅
And the other is needed to live! the liver can be donated in part, right?
I will always regret my purchase of the CA Solaris. I wouldn't pay the same for them again, although I wouldn't sell them now for the money they sell second hand. I prefer to keep them even if I take them out from time to time... It was before I found Penon! If I had known...
Been interested in the Volt for a long time, tested it a few months ago and liked it.
Mine are second hand and as soon as I heard them I sold the Thieaudio Oracle. Now I've been thinking if I could sell something to have funds for the new release, in case I needed it... The Volt crossed my mind for a second in case the new one was an improvement... but no... NO!!

Jan 9, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #6,958 of 13,790
For some reason IEMs didn't click for me before this year, have a friend of friend who lives relatively close who's more into IEMs. He's the one who showed me ISN H40, Orb and Volt, together with some good releases from some other brands.

Right now I hardly use the open headphones. IEM with its comfort good isolation and price to sound value is so great.

Jan 9, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #6,959 of 13,790
For some reason IEMs didn't click for me before this year, have a friend of friend who lives relatively close who's more into IEMs. He's the one who showed me ISN H40, Orb and Volt, together with some good releases from some other brands.

Right now I hardly use the open headphones. IEM with its comfort good isolation and price to sound value is so great.
Me to, I like a lot switching from vortex to fan2, and actually fan2 is getting always better, I love the micro dynamics they can express and wide scene. And i love they sound fast and punchy without any dongle/amp. They are good also with big orchestra, try karajan's the complete Beethoven Symphonies... Lovely, intimate but also ready to explode when it's the moment. That's why I hardly think to improve to a higher level, and Penon volt do require an amp... For me agile mobility it's at first place. What I dislike is they are a little big and you can put them under a hat as I do with vortex.

Yesterday I had a ride on my bike with Moondrop Chu and I find them also getting always better and very musical and choerent! They have just a hint at metallic sound on highs, in the budget are, I like them more than hzsound heart mirror that, after Penon ears ri education, i found too forward in highs and and shouty.

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #6,960 of 13,790

Ooh please let those be a bunch of ESTs.

Not keen on the all white fabric cable (discolours quickly with use + just not keen on fabric sleeves) but I guess I have no shortage of cables for rolling, so.

Looks nice and clean, very curious how the pricing going to be
FB_IMG_1673170983133.jpg

Please @Penon no serif font on this. Anything else I can deal with (almost).

Fan 2's efficient, too. Direct from my iphone, is more than good enough. I can't do this on my Fan - it's either a Tradutto or the dx229 on high gain, amp high output then it gets to sing...

Yeah, efficiency was one thing that noticeably distinguished Penon’s 2022 releases from their 2021 output. Both Vortex and Fan 2 are more than decent straight from my iPhone. And Fan 2 has the added bonus of the OS133 as stock cable, which brings an uncanny sense of space to almost everything it’s paired with.

I know various people have said the same of the Serial and to each their own, but my Serial needs amping imo. It becomes a different beast when fed lots of power. And I suspect part of why OG Fan never quite gained the traction it deserved was that people never bothered to switch out the frankly a bit lacklustre 3.5mm SE stock cable and run it balanced out of an amp.

And the other is needed to live! the liver can be donated in part, right?
I will always regret my purchase of the CA Solaris. I wouldn't pay the same for them again, although I wouldn't sell them now for the money they sell second hand. I prefer to keep them even if I take them out from time to time... It was before I found Penon! If I had known...

I’m much the same. I had been been using IEMs for some years prior but drifted to headphones for a while and then went on hiatus altogether before coming across the Volt. Which changed a lot about what I thought was possible with good audio gear and the subsequent releases have continued developing that tuning philosophy at an even more palatable price point. It suffices to say I rarely if ever touch much of the gear I bought pre-Penon, except those still in my sig, and certainly would not have bought them had I known.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back