The PENON official thread
Dec 30, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #6,916 of 13,880
The Fan 2 has a way of slowly gaining more affectionate interactions from its owner as time passes, in my opinion?
More I listen FAN2 more I love it, now with DX320X and Ikko CTU01 Cable, but I like it with N6ii Ti too šŸ˜‹

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #6,917 of 13,880
The Fan 2 has a way of slowly gaining more affectionate interactions from its owner as time passes, in my opinion?
Was a love at first sight for me but itā€™s surprisingly good with different sources and would be a must have in every collectionšŸ¤­

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #6,918 of 13,880
More I listen FAN2 more I love it, now with DX320X and Ikko CTU01 Cable, but I like it with N6ii Ti too šŸ˜‹
I've been having to work at night for a few days when my little daughter is already in bed, and open cans or buds are not an option, and among my collection, I find myself choosing the FAN2 over the others. They have great synergy with the desktop Burson. I'm using them with Penon Mix. The more I use them, the more I like them!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #6,919 of 13,880
Dec 30, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #6,920 of 13,880
I've been having to work at night for a few days when my little daughter is already in bed, and open cans or buds are not an option, and among my collection, I find myself choosing the FAN2 over the others. They have great synergy with the desktop Burson. The more I use them, the more I like them!
Such a bargain, it scale a lot with a good source and cable even if the stock one is a good start.

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #6,921 of 13,880
Was a love at first sight for me but itā€™s surprisingly good with different sources and would be a must have in every collectionšŸ¤­
Maybe due to that line of neutrality the signature of the Fan 2 walks........there is room for the sound to go many ways, always revealing the character of equipment upstream? Though in my experience warming up the Fan 2 seemed to help the most, adding note weight and slight authority was the best direction for it. But one of the greatest aspects has to be how they figured out how to place the BAs in that even though the BA frequencies are shown for all they are, they don't really contain off-BA-timbre, which is maybe something that's progressed with newer manufacturer BA units? That, or the way they are implemented to such a perfect degree, everything sounds natural and pure, if I can use such a word? Then with such neutrality which is slanted warm, it gives room for total bass pace to occur.

Dec 30, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #6,922 of 13,880
But with the Fan2 there is 2 DD; how are they tuned? 1 for sub bass and one for mid bass?

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #6,923 of 13,880
But with the Fan2 there is 2 DD; how are they tuned? 1 for sub bass and one for mid bass?
I asked Mr Penon myself. It is like a dual push pull. Both dynamics are doing bass duties to cover upper bass to lower sub bass.

The Fan2s bass end could be tuned for sheer brute force, but it was de-tuned to match up with its relative neutrality.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #6,924 of 13,880
I asked Mr Penon myself. It is like a dual push pull. Both dynamics are doing bass duties to cover upper bass to lower sub bass.

The Fan2s bass end could be tuned for sheer brute force, but it was de-tuned to match up with its relative neutrality.
Brilliant!

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #6,925 of 13,880
Hi! New on Penon thread. Kindly asking for some insights. I'm planning to buy Penon Volt, however, I'm not sure if it is the right move since I heard that there's a possibility of new release on 2023. Should I wait?
This decision is entirely up to you.
Also, I'm curious how Volt would fare with IT07? I'm a little bit tired of IT07's "brilliant" signature, it is very clear and has very good resolution, but somehow a bit "aggressive" in a sense. Any comparisons? Thanks!
Had the 07, the Volt is still with me. the Volt's treble is realistic, timbre wise. But some folks require more output. For my ears is just enough. I passed the 600 hour mark, treble is really sweet and very real.
Volt Mids win hands down! Female & Male equally rendered extremely well.
Volt mid bass wins again.
Clarity and resolution may be a tad less on the Volts, but I don't miss them. They don't complete the scene - albeit decays, nuance and incidentals are also present in the Volts, but they don't obscure what really matters most, macro details, high level of engagement - but not over doing it.
The Volts may require some juice (true high current dap, dac dongle) in order for it to properly sing and gaze upon its vast holographic imaging.
Stege depth goes deep and extremely wide, depending on your source player.
Powered by the Woo WA-6, The Volts hold one of the largest sound fields, matching to some of the renowned full size that can do the same.
Most importantly, the Volts will sing to your tune, from ambient to Zz Top and all the alphabets of genre in between...

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #6,926 of 13,880
Dec 31, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #6,927 of 13,880
I think Iā€™ve reached my endgame. WM1AM2, Volts, Mix and earfit light. Pure musical bliss.
C3EAE9AD-B47E-4E4E-BCED-224CB1AF9FB6.jpeg

Dec 31, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #6,928 of 13,880
I think Iā€™ve reached my endgame. WM1AM2, Volts, Mix and earfit light. Pure musical bliss.
C3EAE9AD-B47E-4E4E-BCED-224CB1AF9FB6.jpeg

Agree. From the ZX2 days, Sony generates one of the best holo. images out there. Great justice for the Volts. Kudos!

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #6,929 of 13,880
After some long thoughts on FAN 2 I departed with it, while being tuned so perfect my collection now together with comfort issue made it go. Another happy Penon user soon in Norway, was a hard decision for sure.

What I am interested in is Penon next release, tested Volt some months ago and loved it.

The rumors of something new made me opt for the ISN EST50 instead for now. From memory the Volt is better tuned but the EST50 more fun, if you like elevated good bass you can't go wrong with EST50.

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #6,930 of 13,880
Happy near year friends. I can't say 2022 was without its challenges and obstacles. The one thing consistent about the past year was that Penon has continued to give to their "Fans" a reason be optimistic and has continued to produce some outstanding fuel for the enthusiasts.

You guys already know Penon has been a catalyst of how to do a business right in the industry and I for one am very much looking forward to seeing what they have to offer for us here in the near future. I think 2023 will be a landmark year for Penon and I know a few things that you all can probably guess that will happen during the new year.

Case in point. Many people have asked what is the best cable for the Fan 2? Well, the included cable is no push over. It is difficult to find a cable comparable at the sold price of the OS133 that does what that cable gives you. It is a poster child for how Penon gives the enthusiast a value point that is their business model.

Somehow, I could have guessed that they would take those OS133 material used for the cables and bring out a premium version of it. Well new to you and to me, here it is.
Introducing the Penon SPACE.
DSC00749.JPG

The SPACE is comprised of double the cores of the OS133 and if you guys don't know by now what adding more cores does for a cable. Let me explain.
There is always a logical reason why Penon names a cable what it is. SPACE is exactly what these cables do. The OS133 did the same thing but not exactly to the extent SPACE here does. These are the premium version of the OS133 cables you guys own with your FAN2. Including Penons new Modular plugs. The new SPACE is essentially a OS266 cables. Double the silver, double the premium OFC copper. These cables bring a level of spaciousness for your connected IEMs that you can only get from premium cables in the industry.

The expansion of stage in all directions is what the SPACE is about. Not to mention gives one of the most natural tonal characteristics to an IEMs tonal quality. Extremely versatile for all types of IEMs The SPACE takes what the OS133 did and then cranks that up a few notices. It makes complete logical sense to me that Penon would produce such a cable as the OS133 material is fantastic on many fronts. An ideal cable that enhances the best aspects of your IEMs and does not restrict any of it. The SPACE brings a broader stage, greater depth, better dynamism with a newer element of adding extra body to your sounds. I appreciate that these cables don't lean too much into the silver aspects of the plating for the OFC copper aspects. It expands the sounds naturally and gives the absolute best expansive performance of your IEMs.
DSC00747.JPG
These are the cables to get for Vocal performances and acoustic scores as it highlights and gives body to vocals and instruments. Any cables that expand a sense of stage is a good cable in my opinion and the SPACE is named as such due to these very important aspects. These cables are a preview to Penon's dedication to giving the best of sound enhancing through cable tech and of course with a value price point they can only give. So while we have great options to work with the Fan2. It makes sense to get the uber version of the OS133 as a clear upgrade for it. The SPACE on the FAN2 is unbelievable. It brings that sound to a new level.

I have been testing out a cable called the Cadmus 8w for Effect Audio on the FAN2. And believe it or not the new SPACEs ability to expand stage is shockingly close to those and you better believe the SPACE will not be a 1/3rd the cost of those. I can't reveal the price point yet, but the SPACE is one of those cables that will have a clear value with it and a performance you expect coming from Penons best efforts. Be on the lookout for it.

I also appreciate that Penon is actively improving existing products.
DSC00750.JPG

Introducing the new Mix 2023. What you're seeing is the newest version of what is now an essential landmark cable from Penon. The Penon Mix. No secret these are one of my absolute favorite cables I use on just about everything. These are what I consider benchmark level cables at the price point. The Mix is the very best of pure silver and pure high end copper and mixes those elements together in a hybrid cable done right. The Mix also adds a stage element and gives just enough pure silver enhancement to IEMs to enhance their detail level while also adding body and texture from the copper elements to IEMs they are connected to. I appreciate the copper elements have more of an influence on your IEMs vs the pure silver element. It is not exactly 50/50 for what it does. It is more like 60% copper 40% pure silver but what that does from a sound standpoint is it gives a more natural dynamic take on the classic hybrid mix of element vs enhancing brightness for the sake of detail. How's about a sparkly clean treble with your full note weight with stage and that is essentially what the Mix does. It is by far my most used cable and one that I appreciate the most from a design standpoint at its price. Lots of folks ask me what a great upgraded cable is from Penon. I can say without a doubt the Mix is a clear upgrade to whatever cable that came with your IEMs simply due to their versatility and consistency in what they do. Now with complete modularity.
DSC00751.JPG

Lastly these were a bit under the radar. This new spacious oval case is fantastic. Its roomy to put your precious in but has a soft formed liner to wind up your new SPACE cables with it. These are a proper way to carry your IEMs without worry. No way should you spend a lump sum and not protect your precious just by throwing them in your pocket. Nope this is the way to go. Very nice and only cost around $20 spot. Very nice.
DSC00753.JPG
DSC00752.JPG

As per IEMs. We will see some of Penon's best works ever next year. I can guarantee you that and it will start with something huge out of the gate very soon. Expect a big announcement for it very soon and Penon is also working on a few surprises that you didn't see coming. All in due time but I can most certainly guarantee you that 2023. Penon will only get better. You guys have a fantastic new year and as always happy listening. If you know whats good for you. More Penon IEM listening for 2023 for a new years resolution is never a bad thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back