The PENON official thread
Oct 12, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #5,851 of 13,784
1665585113885.png

So it does look like it will come with the excellent OS133 cable in any termination when ordering. It was one of the cables I got to try out with the Fan2 and it is definitely a good match up with the Fan2.

A bit of an update on my condition. It was only a matter of time but I did get Covid since last weekend. It is a reminder that even though a majority of folks might make it seem Covid is completely gone from our society. My entire family caught it. The good news on the most recent variety of Covid is that it is much weaker than the very first variant that came out. And we finally have antiviral meds that help with the most severe cases. My father could have died if he wasn't given medication to help with his Covid 2 weeks ago. Everyone in the family is doing well. My case was mild but I have a persistent cough.

I suppose everyone at one point or another will catch it. It is the new cold. In any case. It hasn't messed with any of my senses if anything I have been enjoying music while staying at home. Been listening to the new ISN H30 and the Fan2.
Glad you and the family are well, first and foremost. About the Fan 2, that treble cut after 6k looks very discouraging to me. What is your listening experience with that?

I’m not expecting all of the details, but if there’s a filmy lack of resolution and clarity, that’s quite a dealbreaker.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #5,852 of 13,784
@Dsnuts Hoping for a speedy recovery to you and your family. You’re in good company with your new releases.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #5,853 of 13,784
DSC00373.JPG
Penon Fan2 + Obsidian pictured. Good chance the FAN 2 will come with the good old OS133 which matches well with the Fan2.

OK so I have been waiting for a bit to tell you all about Penons newest IEM. I am lucky to get an early look at what will essentially make the grade as Penons newest IEM.

You all should know by now that Penon doesn't make an IEM and just throws it out there. Everything is calculated with Penon ITEMs. Especially with their IEMs. This being said. For those of you that own the first Fan it was called the Fan as the IEM was more or less made for Penon Fans and pretty much sold at wholesale prices for folks that have bought Penon items.

The FAN 2 continues that idea that these are made for the Fans of Penon sound. The new FAN 2 is an all resin medium sized hybrid IEM. What makes the new FAN 2 a nice upgrade/ update on the hybrid formula is that it is using a unique driver mix. 2 dynamics and 2 BAs. If you really think about it. Not too many IEMs with this particular blend of drivers.

Then there is what the actual drivers are. It is using 2 highly regarded BAs in the mix. 1 Sonion BA for the mids, 1 Knowles treble BA. Ok that is what is also being used on the ISN H30 that was recently announced. But then these add two brand new dynamics as well. Two 6mm crystal plated biological dynamic drivers.

Specs are as follows
3D printed Resin, Medical grade all resin cavity
1 Sonion BA-Mids
1 Knowles BA- treble
2x 6mm Bio dynamic- Bass
13 Ohm impedance
112db sensitivity
20hz-20khz Fr response.

You guys have any idea how long I have asked manufacturers to consider using micro dynamics for bass? These aren’t officially micro dynamics. I believe it is 5mm or smaller but close enough. And the fact that it is using biological dynamics which you guys should know does bass better than most types of dynamics. I think you guys might have a good idea what these are going for. Why use two dynamics? It clearly separates two zones for bass performance. I believe this adds to the overall speed, tightness, accurate attack and decay for its overall bass performance. This is the same reason why you see TOTL multiple BA only sets use two types of BAs for its bass. One to handle the upper to mid bass, and another woofer BA to handle the sub lows. Bass will be more defined, snappier, cleaner, tighter and speedier.

From what I understand about the new crystal plated bio dynamic is that this plating prevents the bio dynamic from mutating. Didn’t know that was an actual issue with bio dynamics but makes sense as it is a biological film. This in effect will keep this particular type of bio dynamic to be consistent in performance.

As for the sound.
Imagine a hybrid version of the Penon Serial and you might get a good understanding of the sound profile of these. Consistent with Penon tuned IEMs these have substantial presence and balancing for all regions of sound. Its deliberate use of the Sonion BA for mids presence is synonymous with that Penon sound you all know and love. It wouldn't be a Penon sound without it let me put it that way. Its treble tuning is more lower and upper trebles vs the mid treble emphasis that is more prevalent on the recent ISN H30. Meaning the FAN 2 has a more refined treble tuning in comparison. Technical aspects are about as good as you're going to get with this design and in fact the housing shape allows the drivers to have a big spacious field of sound for how the FAN 2 portrays music. As you would expect from a true Penon product.

Bass? Well it is more moderate in bass presence than being big or standing out in the mix, I would put the bass emphasis at around 7dbs which is again moderate. Bass quality is consistent with other bio dynamics in how it performs for bass. This time the emphasis is a bit more in the mid bass vs the sub bass but bass is well defined, tight speedy and can get plenty punchy when called for. You're going to appreciate the agile smaller 6mm bass performance that sounds much bigger. I think Penon could have emphasized the sub bass region a few dbs more on these but for what it's got it is textured well and has good presence for bass. This tight bass makes a difference just how clean the mid bands are for the FAN2.

Its stage is substantial as always, a nice precise imaging, wide and deep sound characteristics. its technical performance is as good as it gets for its design. Easy to drive at 13 Ohms.. The FAN 2 will become a fan favorite and will be something you all will want to get to add to the collection. Because FOMO will be real if you miss this deal. I have been hearing them for the past week or so. Keeping a tight lip on them for this day.

I'm not going to reveal the price yet but you better keep tabs on your email.
Will It be in "V" like the Serial or "W" like Globe?

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #5,854 of 13,784
Glad you and the family are well, first and foremost. About the Fan 2, that treble cut after 6k looks very discouraging to me. What is your listening experience with that?

I’m not expecting all of the details, but if there’s a filmy lack of resolution and clarity, that’s quite a dealbreaker.
Vortex_FR.png

Penon IEMs have a similar dip around the region. Vortex shown here. Believe me there is plenty of clarity and detail for the Fan 2. The Fan 2 has plenty of presence from 6-7 Khz region with the 8-9Khz region having the biggest dip. Nothing wrong with the tuning. My sample unit is clean clear and has excellent detail. If anything it sounds nicely refined for its treble region.

This dip is a design choice. If you want more presence for the region the new ISN H30 is the opposite treble tuning from the Penon FAN2. This is what I mean.

H30.png

H30 has more presence for its treble. Listening to both sets. I much prefer the treble tuning on the Fan2 vs the H30. Fan2 sounds more higher end as a result. I wouldn't worry about any lack of clarity or detail for the Fan 2 at all.

@Dsnuts Hoping for a speedy recovery to you and your family. You’re in good company with your new releases.
Thanks for the well wishes. We are all doing well. Nothing a bit of food and sleep can't cure.
Well it is Penons releases. I know you guys must think I work for Penon but I don't. I am one of you all. I am lucky to be trusted by Penon and give them some feedback on how I view a few things.
Will It be in "V" like the Serial or "W" like Globe?
It is a very balanced Fr. Is more closer to neutral in emphasis in all regions so closer to the Serial vs the Globe.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #5,857 of 13,784
Got in the Obsidian cables today. Installed on the Supermoon immediately, and it does indeed sound really nice. Big expansive sound, but still evaluating if it helps at all with borderline harshness in upper mids to highs. Comfort factor is excellent, as there is no memory to the upper cable ear hanging area, and the jacket is nice and supple. Not a fan of the gold finish with the Supermoon's silver shell though. Kind of wish there was another color option, like black with silver. The chin slider on this one is next to impossible to get moving up, it is definitely fitted too tight over the cable. Overall liking it so far though.

Huge perk w/ this... the cables come with that same case that the Fan 2 does! So after my pining away for it, I got two! Ha ha ha.....

Supermoon w_Obsidian cable.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #5,858 of 13,784
@Dsnuts how does the Fan 2 compare in size to the Vortex and the Serial?

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #5,859 of 13,784
@Dsnuts how does the Fan 2 compare in size to the Vortex and the Serial?
DSC00374.JPG

Vortex is the most compact and physically smallest of the 3.. The Fan2 with 2 smaller dynamics and 2 BAs it is more closer to the size of the Serial vs the Vortex. Has the longest nozzle out of the 3 housings.
DSC00375.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #5,861 of 13,784
DSC00373.JPG
Penon Fan2 + Obsidian pictured. Good chance the FAN 2 will come with the good old OS133 which matches well with the Fan2.

OK so I have been waiting for a bit to tell you all about Penons newest IEM. I am lucky to get an early look at what will essentially make the grade as Penons newest IEM.

You all should know by now that Penon doesn't make an IEM and just throws it out there. Everything is calculated with Penon ITEMs. Especially with their IEMs. This being said. For those of you that own the first Fan it was called the Fan as the IEM was more or less made for Penon Fans and pretty much sold at wholesale prices for folks that have bought Penon items.

The FAN 2 continues that idea that these are made for the Fans of Penon sound. The new FAN 2 is an all resin medium sized hybrid IEM. What makes the new FAN 2 a nice upgrade/ update on the hybrid formula is that it is using a unique driver mix. 2 dynamics and 2 BAs. If you really think about it. Not too many IEMs with this particular blend of drivers.

Then there is what the actual drivers are. It is using 2 highly regarded BAs in the mix. 1 Sonion BA for the mids, 1 Knowles treble BA. Ok that is what is also being used on the ISN H30 that was recently announced. But then these add two brand new dynamics as well. Two 6mm crystal plated biological dynamic drivers.

Specs are as follows
3D printed Resin, Medical grade all resin cavity
1 Sonion BA-Mids
1 Knowles BA- treble
2x 6mm Bio dynamic- Bass
13 Ohm impedance
112db sensitivity
20hz-20khz Fr response.

You guys have any idea how long I have asked manufacturers to consider using micro dynamics for bass? These aren’t officially micro dynamics. I believe it is 5mm or smaller but close enough. And the fact that it is using biological dynamics which you guys should know does bass better than most types of dynamics. I think you guys might have a good idea what these are going for. Why use two dynamics? It clearly separates two zones for bass performance. I believe this adds to the overall speed, tightness, accurate attack and decay for its overall bass performance. This is the same reason why you see TOTL multiple BA only sets use two types of BAs for its bass. One to handle the upper to mid bass, and another woofer BA to handle the sub lows. Bass will be more defined, snappier, cleaner, tighter and speedier.

From what I understand about the new crystal plated bio dynamic is that this plating prevents the bio dynamic from mutating. Didn’t know that was an actual issue with bio dynamics but makes sense as it is a biological film. This in effect will keep this particular type of bio dynamic to be consistent in performance.

As for the sound.
Imagine a hybrid version of the Penon Serial and you might get a good understanding of the sound profile of these. Consistent with Penon tuned IEMs these have substantial presence and balancing for all regions of sound. Its deliberate use of the Sonion BA for mids presence is synonymous with that Penon sound you all know and love. It wouldn't be a Penon sound without it let me put it that way. Its treble tuning is more lower and upper trebles vs the mid treble emphasis that is more prevalent on the recent ISN H30. Meaning the FAN 2 has a more refined treble tuning in comparison. Technical aspects are about as good as you're going to get with this design and in fact the housing shape allows the drivers to have a big spacious field of sound for how the FAN 2 portrays music. As you would expect from a true Penon product.

Bass? Well it is more moderate in bass presence than being big or standing out in the mix, I would put the bass emphasis at around 7dbs which is again moderate. Bass quality is consistent with other bio dynamics in how it performs for bass. This time the emphasis is a bit more in the mid bass vs the sub bass but bass is well defined, tight speedy and can get plenty punchy when called for. You're going to appreciate the agile smaller 6mm bass performance that sounds much bigger. I think Penon could have emphasized the sub bass region a few dbs more on these but for what it's got it is textured well and has good presence for bass. This tight bass makes a difference just how clean the mid bands are for the FAN2.

Its stage is substantial as always, a nice precise imaging, wide and deep sound characteristics. its technical performance is as good as it gets for its design. Easy to drive at 13 Ohms.. The FAN 2 will become a fan favorite and will be something you all will want to get to add to the collection. Because FOMO will be real if you miss this deal. I have been hearing them for the past week or so. Keeping a tight lip on them for this day.

I'm not going to reveal the price yet but you better keep tabs on your email.
That shell is amazing, they nailed the look of excitement!

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #5,864 of 13,784
Any other Penon IEMs have biocellulose dynamic drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back