The PENON official thread
Sep 16, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #541 of 13,915
That's great! Have you heard the Orb as well? Can you tell me a comparison between the Orb and FH3?
Sorry, I’ve never heard the Orb, but there are others that have heard those two IEMs.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #542 of 13,915
Sorry, I’ve never heard the Orb, but there are others that have heard those two IEMs.
Can you tell me who? I'll clear my confusion with them then. Thanks in advance.

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #543 of 13,915
Orbs has a rich organic tone to the mids. Absolutely musical for vocal performances. FH3 will sound a bit thin in comparison note wise. Once you hear the mids of the Orbs and then listen to the FH3 everything sounds thinner. Mid bands have a more narrow sound. Bass end is where the FH3 shine but Orbs have one of the best bass ends for the given price as well. Both reach very deep. A bit more sub bass lift on the FH3. I know when folks ask about comparisons. It is about if a phone will be just as good or at the same level of the more expensive one.

Your gonna get what you pay for here. FH3 is a fun sounding earphone with a bit more treble and sub bass presence over the Orbs but no comparison where the mids are at. I did this comparison just now going back n forth from one phone to the other using optimized cables and tips for both. Treble on the Orbs sounds more natural and cleaner vs the FH3 as well.

FH3 having a bit more treble energy. Orbs wins hands down in isolation.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #544 of 13,915
Orbs has a rich organic tone to the mids. Absolutely musical for vocal performances. FH3 will sound a bit thin in comparison note wise. Once you hear the mids of the Orbs and then listen to the FH3 everything sounds thinner. Mid bands have a more narrow sound. Bass end is where the FH3 shine but Orbs have one of the best bass ends for the given price as well. Both reach very deep. A bit more sub bass lift on the FH3. I know when folks ask about comparisons. It is about if a phone will be just as good or at the same level of the more expensive one.

Your gonna get what you pay for here. FH3 is a fun sounding earphone with a bit more treble and sub bass presence over the Orbs but no comparison where the mids are at. I did this comparison just now going back n forth from one phone to the other using optimized cables and tips for both. Treble on the Orbs sounds more natural and cleaner vs the FH3 as well.

FH3 having a bit more treble energy. Orbs wins hands down in isolation.
Thanks a lot! The only other thing I'm interested to know is how do they compare to each other in Soundstage, Separation, and Imaging.

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #545 of 13,915
Orbs has the wider deeper taller stage. Much more 3D in presentation and how the stage surrounds your hearing. FH3 sounds more flat with a much dryer note presentation in the mids and treble. I can tell the BA used on the Orbs are superior. If I was a guessing man I bet you guys it is a Sonion BA. Just based on tone alone. I can clearly tell the single BA on the Orbs are a higher quality vs the 2 knowles in the FH3.

Sound separation and imaging is good on the FH3 but not outstanding. Sounds like your typical BA in this category. FH3 really has an average in your head. Head stage. Orbs project better in width depth height of sound actually images better with a fuller more involved note perception due to the more enveloping stage of the Orbs. Cohesion of sound is better in the Orbs. Bass is integrated better imo. FH3 bass stands out like a sub woofer almost like a 2.1. Sounds kinda cool for bass tunes actually.

Sound separation is also good on the Orbs but since it is using a single BA it could be better in that department but no question which one has the better stage.

There is always folks like ace bee I encounter on every single thread. What is better than this. What is better than that. What is better is relative. If you dont want to spend for an Orb get yourself a FH3 and be happy. Short of sending you my pair of Orbs and FH3 so you can listen dont know what more you want.

FH3 dont sound anything like the Orbs. It has a different sound. SQ wise it isnt at the level of the Orbs but it is good for what it is.

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #547 of 13,915
1600322357251.png

Coming out very, very soon...

Sep 17, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #548 of 13,915
Orbs has the wider deeper taller stage. Much more 3D in presentation and how the stage surrounds your hearing. FH3 sounds more flat with a much dryer note presentation in the mids and treble. I can tell the BA used on the Orbs are superior. If I was a guessing man I bet you guys it is a Sonion BA. Just based on tone alone. I can clearly tell the single BA on the Orbs are a higher quality vs the 2 knowles in the FH3.

Sound separation and imaging is good on the FH3 but not outstanding. Sounds like your typical BA in this category. FH3 really has an average in your head. Head stage. Orbs project better in width depth height of sound actually images better with a fuller more involved note perception due to the more enveloping stage of the Orbs. Cohesion of sound is better in the Orbs. Bass is integrated better imo. FH3 bass stands out like a sub woofer almost like a 2.1. Sounds kinda cool for bass tunes actually.

Sound separation is also good on the Orbs but since it is using a single BA it could be better in that department but no question which one has the better stage.

There is always folks like ace bee I encounter on every single thread. What is better than this. What is better than that. What is better is relative. If you dont want to spend for an Orb get yourself a FH3 and be happy. Short of sending you my pair of Orbs and FH3 so you can listen dont know what more you want.

FH3 dont sound anything like the Orbs. It has a different sound. SQ wise it isnt at the level of the Orbs but it is good for what it is.
Thank you for all the insights. I am sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way, but my honest intention was to get an idea of how their sound compare to each other. The reason being, I have an Orb available near me that I can have for around 200 USD, and FH3 is going to be available in my country soon for around 155 USD. Hence, I'll be honest to you, I just wanted to make sure that I can make the best use of my money. See, that is why we come to this forum, to ask around and discuss, so that we can make an informed choice and help others do so. Once again, I am very much obliged to you because of the detailed comparison you provided, and I am extremely sorry if I offended you in some way, but please be assured I didn't mean to.

Sep 17, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #549 of 13,915
Thank you for all the insights. I am sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way, but my honest intention was to get an idea of how their sound compare to each other. The reason being, I have an Orb available near me that I can have for around 200 USD, and FH3 is going to be available in my country soon for around 155 USD. Hence, I'll be honest to you, I just wanted to make sure that I can make the best use of my money. See, that is why we come to this forum, to ask around and discuss, so that we can make an informed choice and help others do so. Once again, I am very much obliged to you because of the detailed comparison you provided, and I am extremely sorry if I offended you in some way, but please be assured I didn't mean to.

Could u mention, what's your DAP?
The source player is a very important part of the chain to get maximize your effort to get the most out of your set...

Sep 17, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #550 of 13,915

Coming out very, very soon...

Flagship Tuning achieved!!!
On Real world price & current trend driver configuration...

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #551 of 13,915
Shanling M0 and my phone, mostly, a Samsung Galaxy J6

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #552 of 13,915
Perfect! I got the excellent M0 as well. Will get back to u very soon...

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #553 of 13,915
IMG_20200917_143327.jpgIMG_20200917_143122.jpg
It pairs very well!
Very much like a full size headphone.
Great bass (NO bloat!), very good detailed mids & treble extended.
Wide soundstage.
I'm just using the stock cables & Xelastec tips...

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #554 of 13,915
1600348696494.png

Hot D@mn! (lols)
Penon very serious about after market cable upgrade...

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #555 of 13,915

Your good. It wasnt your fault. I was not in a good mood last night so that don't help. Orbs for a bit more than the FH3. I think you will be happy with it. It has a very engaging sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back