The PENON official thread
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #436 of 13,639
Same thoughts. Never see before a Litz cable at that price.

Litz or not. It is most definitely pure silver. No faking it on the Orbs. it is comparable to much higher end cables I tried next to them. Worth getting a few sets just to have. People that want to get a nice upgraded cable for your Orbs. These cables are worth the long wait to get. I say long as postage now a days is hokey.

Still havent gotten my Fiio M15 case I ordered in May. Lol.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #437 of 13,639
I'm back to stock cable with Orb. No need to tinker with cables and tips. I figured out what was my problem with Orb. That's the same problem that I have with most of my IEMs. Experiments with EQs led me to realize - that best soundstage and realism are achieved when I flatten the Harman curve, that most IEMs have. L3 has a flatter curve and that's probably one of the reasons I like it.
Blessing2 (Crunch) Orb(Enhance)
1595354954427.png1595355036773.png
With that EQ Blessing was giving me TOTL level of performance. Orb was behind, but it's $100 cheaper and also subject to bass preferences. On the go, Orb will be my choice of audiophile sound. Fit, isolation, and inconspicuous look. Check, check, check.
Thie Legacy3
1595355738113.png
BGVP Zero is another non-Harman tuned IEM. Very unusual warm mid-bassy tuning, but I find it not only acceptable but quite addictive, especially with acoustic. Zero I don't EQ. It sounds so open that most of my IEMs sound congested in comparison. (except L3, EQ-ed Blessing2 & FH7)
1595356067375.png
Once I remove excessive lower treble, - minimal boost brings Orb to perfection and I get bigger soundstage, no congestion while still enjoying delicious bass and vocals. It was that 4-8K elevation that created perception of severely rolled off upper treble. Problem solved. I still will experiment with more advanced EQ, but even basic tools of EQFI improve sound dramatically.
Found 20 band EQ with adjustable band frequencies on Android, but it's finicky and I'm still trying to make it work.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #438 of 13,639
Litz or not. It is most definitely pure silver. No faking it on the Orbs. it is comparable to much higher end cables I tried next to them. Worth getting a few sets just to have. People that want to get a nice upgraded cable for your Orbs. These cables are worth the long wait to get. I say long as postage now a days is hokey.

Still havent gotten my Fiio M15 case I ordered in May. Lol.
The starfield cable is litz but most people don't like it so I'm not sure how much of a difference litz even makes.

Kinboofi offers a 7n SPC 16 core cable for only $20, I ordered one to check it out and compare to the trn t3. The terminator and Jack looked good quality in the picture, same ones that I saw being used in much more expensive nicehk cables.
I'm back to stock cable with Orb. No need to tinker with cables and tips. I figured out what was my problem with Orb. That's the same problem that I have with most of my IEMs. Experiments with EQs led me to realize - that best soundstage and realism are achieved when I flatten the Harman curve, that most IEMs have. L3 has a flatter curve and that's probably one of the reasons I like it.
Blessing2 (Crunch) Orb(Enhance)
1595354954427.png1595355036773.png
With that EQ Blessing was giving me TOTL level of performance. Orb was behind, but it's $100 cheaper and also subject to bass preferences. On the go, Orb will be my choice of audiophile sound. Fit, isolation, and inconspicuous look. Check, check, check.
Thie Legacy3
1595355738113.png
BGVP Zero is another non-Harman tuned IEM. Very unusual warm mid-bassy tuning, but I find it not only acceptable but quite addictive, especially with acoustic. Zero I don't EQ. It sounds so open that most of my IEMs sound congested in comparison. (except L3, EQ-ed Blessing2 & FH7)
1595356067375.png
Once I remove excessive lower treble, - minimal boost brings Orb to perfection and I get bigger soundstage, no congestion while still enjoying delicious bass and vocals. It was that 4-8K elevation that created perception of severely rolled off upper treble. Problem solved. I still will experiment with more advanced EQ, but even basic tools of EQFI improve sound dramatically.
Found 20 band EQ with adjustable band frequencies on Android, but it's finicky and I'm still trying to make it work.
The orb stock cable is actually pretty nice imo, but it only comes in 3.5mm sadly..

As far as cheap 16 core cables go it seems to be something like trn < kbear < **** < hifihear < tripowin
I will see where the kinboofi one fits when I get it.

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #439 of 13,639
The starfield cable is litz but most people don't like it so I'm not sure how much of a difference litz even makes.

Kinboofi offers a 7n SPC 16 core cable for only $20, I ordered one to check it out and compare to the trn t3. The terminator and Jack looked good quality in the picture, same ones that I saw being used in much more expensive nicehk cables.
The orb stock cable is actually pretty nice imo, but it only comes in 3.5mm sadly..

As far as cheap 16 core cables go it seems to be something like trn < kbear < **** < hifihear < tripowin
I will see where the kinboofi one fits when I get it.
Tripowin 16SPC is what I actually tried, then I tried tinsel type 8SPC, kind of like this but pure SPC:
1595364028043.png
It was boosting all treble too much, making lower treble hot, not actually helping the roll-off. So, for me cable swapping is over for now. If I have to EQ anyway, I could as well not comlicate that task by introducing cable FR. Overly thick cables may actually degrade quality. So, with 16 cores we're pushing our luck already. That 16SPC works well on my Roland though.

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #440 of 13,639
Tripowin 16SPC is what I actually tried, then I tried tinsel type 8SPC, kind of like this but pure SPC:
It was boosting all treble too much, making lower treble hot, not actually helping the roll-off. So, for me cable swapping is over for now. If I have to EQ anyway, I could as well not comlicate that task by introducing cable FR. Overly thick cables may actually degrade quality. So, with 16 cores we're pushing our luck already. That 16SPC works well on my Roland though.
I'm curious why you say overly thick cables may degrade quality. At least with speaker wires this isn't the case

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #441 of 13,639
I've tried all those tips and more. Because of the shape of its body, it won't stay in place.

I use TRN Black 1/2 red core tips in L and the BLON stays put. Also the NiceHCK Grey 1/2 red core tips are the same as the TRN tips which are only available if you buy a set of TRN iems. NiceHCK tips are $1.50 per set. I have 10 sets now and they’re the tips I use most often on all my sets.

Also if you cut the stem from a silicone tip to a 2 to 3 mm length and use it as a spacer it will prevent the tip from sliding down the nozzle of the BLON. It took me a while to get the BLON to fit but it’s worth the effort to get them to fit.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #442 of 13,639
I'm curious why you say overly thick cables may degrade quality.
My experience has been that thicker cables may degrade the quality. Degradation is minor, so - it's just lesser evil that we chose. Cable inductive resistance attenuates higher frequencies. It can be mitigated by using SPC that compensates frequency dependent loss, putting skin-effect vs inductive resistance effect. Success of that compensation depends on carefully chosen cable makeup(# of SPC/copper #threads/cores, braid). If cable is super-high quality is designed to be neutral and not change highly precise original tuning. Or, (like Beyer/Senn) - IEMs are tuned for thinner, more comfortable cable. (Love German companies pragmatism). Has anyone tried to replace ier-z1r or M9 cable? Sony stock cable is the only one that sounds correctly with those IEMs. Daa, they're tuned for that cable.
Many audiophile companies however, lately started to get on the bandwagon, and include substantial looking and feeling thick cables to satisfy the expectation of expensive luxury product.
Xelento has very thin cable for comfort reason and IEM is subsequently tuned for that cable. If you attach thick SPC - you will change original tuning. I've done that with Xelento because I wanted brighter sound. Accuracy wise it was inferior, just sounded better with some genres. When I used EQ - I've gotten better results with stock cable. Same with Orb.
At least with speaker wires this isn't the case
With speakers it's not the case, because on that scale cables are usually not overly thick. With speakers we have several orders of magnitude higher current, and as a result of that - inductive loss is much higher. On top of that higher frequencies are lost through capacitance of the longer cable. So, with thicker multi-threaded cable the loss is compensated. (Amount of surface concentrated in the same diameter matters).
Let's say, If IEM puts out 100db with 10mW of power and average speaker needs let's say 10W(probably more). Take 5mm thick 8 core cable and make it x1000. It will be thicker than fire-hose. It's already too much for IEM (IMHO), not too much for a loud-speaker.
So, what we (audiophiles) are doing - is just fine-tuning IEM to our preferences without the trouble of EQ-ing.
But, when cable is too thick - it has higher capacitance, that puts more load on power Amp, (often unpredictable, how that output handles that kind of load). Both capacitance and inductance of the cable may also react unpredictably with IEMs own. Lower conductivity doesn't benefit IEM.
So, my philosophy is - to minimize thickness when possible.
I think that thin 8 core braided cables should be a reasonable limit, that isn't pushing the tolerance of the Amp output too much. So many times I've connected thick cable to correct minor FR issue and found that sound is not clean anymore. Sometimes it boosts also frequencies you don't want to boost (happened with ORB), and with some sources you also get more distortions.
If only EQ on Android was not such a pain in the neck... :head_bandage:

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #443 of 13,639
Most of my DIYer friends also say the same thing. They are all in the consensus that "most" of the thicker (more core) cables tend to make the sound warmer compared to lesser core (8 or 4) cables. They have been working with headphone cables for a long time. I believe they have tried and experimented on cables more than I have. I cannot dismiss their claim as I have lesser experience than them since I have just started making my own.

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #444 of 13,639
My experience has been that thicker cables may degrade the quality. Degradation is minor, so - it's just lesser evil that we chose. Cable inductive resistance attenuates higher frequencies. It can be mitigated by using SPC that compensates frequency dependent loss, putting skin-effect vs inductive resistance effect. Success of that compensation depends on carefully chosen cable makeup(# of SPC/copper #threads/cores, braid). If cable is super-high quality is designed to be neutral and not change highly precise original tuning. Or, (like Beyer/Senn) - IEMs are tuned for thinner, more comfortable cable. (Love German companies pragmatism). Has anyone tried to replace ier-z1r or M9 cable? Sony stock cable is the only one that sounds correctly with those IEMs. Daa, they're tuned for that cable.
Many audiophile companies however, lately started to get on the bandwagon, and include substantial looking and feeling thick cables to satisfy the expectation of expensive luxury product.
Xelento has very thin cable for comfort reason and IEM is subsequently tuned for that cable. If you attach thick SPC - you will change original tuning. I've done that with Xelento because I wanted brighter sound. Accuracy wise it was inferior, just sounded better with some genres. When I used EQ - I've gotten better results with stock cable. Same with Orb.

With speakers it's not the case, because on that scale cables are usually not overly thick. With speakers we have several orders of magnitude higher current, and as a result of that - inductive loss is much higher. On top of that higher frequencies are lost through capacitance of the longer cable. So, with thicker multi-threaded cable the loss is compensated. (Amount of surface concentrated in the same diameter matters).
Let's say, If IEM puts out 100db with 10mW of power and average speaker needs let's say 10W(probably more). Take 5mm thick 8 core cable and make it x1000. It will be thicker than fire-hose. It's already too much for IEM (IMHO), not too much for a loud-speaker.
So, what we (audiophiles) are doing - is just fine-tuning IEM to our preferences without the trouble of EQ-ing.
But, when cable is too thick - it has higher capacitance, that puts more load on power Amp, (often unpredictable, how that output handles that kind of load). Both capacitance and inductance of the cable may also react unpredictably with IEMs own. Lower conductivity doesn't benefit IEM.
So, my philosophy is - to minimize thickness when possible.
I think that thin 8 core braided cables should be a reasonable limit, that isn't pushing the tolerance of the Amp output too much. So many times I've connected thick cable to correct minor FR issue and found that sound is not clean anymore. Sometimes it boosts also frequencies you don't want to boost (happened with ORB), and with some sources you also get more distortions.
If only EQ on Android was not such a pain in the neck... :head_bandage:
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say correlation is not causation. The only part of what you said that makes sense to me is what you said about capacitance. Technically having a wire that's too thick and too much capacitance can have the effect of a low pass filter but as far as I'm aware you would need both a very overly thick/long cable and a very underpowered AMP.

I have the trn t3 coming in and have enough 16 core cables lying around for me to maybe give this a test soon. I'll see what I find I guess.

I'm skeptical because even I'm prone to fall for placebo. Usually once something is suggested it's easy to come to that same conclusion because in your head that's what's sensible. I've done this so many times that I don't really trust myself or others to make unbiased judgement anymore without hard testing/evidence.

In my recent cable research I've even come across some accounts saying that their 16 core SPC cables actually increased their treble more than their 4 core pure silver cables.. so it's really hard to say what's actually cut and dry here.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #445 of 13,639
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say correlation is not causation. The only part of what you said that makes sense to me is what you said about capacitance. Technically having a wire that's too thick and too much capacitance can have the effect of a low pass filter but as far as I'm aware you would need both a very overly thick/long cable and a very underpowered AMP.

I have the trn t3 coming in and have enough 16 core cables lying around for me to maybe give this a test soon. I'll see what I find I guess.

I'm skeptical because even I'm prone to fall for placebo. Usually once something is suggested it's easy to come to that same conclusion because in your head that's what's sensible. I've done this so many times that I don't really trust myself or others to make unbiased judgement anymore without hard testing/evidence.
I'm not suggesting that you should always worry about distortions and other signal degradation. My point of previous post was - that if I had good EQ on every device, I'd be choosing cables by look and comfort, given that they're good enough quality. For high-end IEMs, I also would stick to similar design - to not interfere with IEM tuning. A few posts earlier on this thread, in my reply to Dsnuts I said, that I practice Cable-matching extensively. I have dozens of cables that I try with different IEMs until I find synergy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect
The link above is a Wikipedia article that explains cable science better than I can, including Skin Effect that I've mentioned.
In my recent cable research I've even come across some accounts saying that their 16 core SPC cables actually increased their treble more than their 4 core pure silver cables… so it's really hard to say what's actually cut and dry here.
This is consistent with the science. I've read the same impressions from Legend X owners, who experimented with expensive cables. I don't have experience with pure silver. Theoretically, pure silver shouldn't be much different from pure copper of the same design, so I didn't see the need to pay for more expensive material instead of built quality.
IME, treble was reduced by switching from thick or LITZ to straight thin 4 cores copper. That helped with FH7, ier-M9, iBasso it04. Any, even 4 core SPC was even brighter in comparison.
T3 is a nice cable! Very cheap for a pure silver. By the principle I've explained, pure silver cable should be balanced with moderate HF boost (which is not actual boost but rather reduced HF loss compared to thin straight conductor).
Do you have 8 core SPC to compare with T3, which cable gives you more treble, more treble extension with Orb?
And finally, I agree, that you shouldn't be relying entirely on impressions except for analytical comparison to the cable or IEM that you're familiar with. Looking forward to your impressions of T3.:)
EDIT: 07/22/20 15:58 I meant to write tinsel-wrap, not LITZ.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #446 of 13,639
IMG_20200725_131221.jpg
IMG_20200725_131250.jpgIMG_20200725_131153.jpg
Another successful cable pairing for the Orbs & the Spheres.

According to the descriptions:
Kinera iem cable-Wire Material :8 shares single crystal copper & silver-plated cable mixed braided
Significant Treble improvements are really subtle but very audible.
I don't wanna mess w/ the great bass & excellent mids

Onso red orange - PCUHD (Pure Copper Ultra High Drawability) is an oxygen-free copper by UHD process developed by The Furukawa Electric Co., Ltd., managed so as a mixture of inclusions, impurities in the casting process and the processing step, to thoroughly eliminate are we. In particular the oxygen content is suppressed to 5ppm (0.0005%) less, and suppresses the material inside the voids generated that inhibit signal transduction.
For the Spheres, Big surprise. These were like the loudness switch turned on. Better than the Linum Bax v2 i recently paired.
Fantastic ADSR & Prat, without much alteration to Sphere's tuning...

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #447 of 13,639
1595835050178.png

"in my time on earth" Orbs' bass (and strings, voice) exercise excellent presentation...

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #448 of 13,639
IMG_20200730_150718.jpg
The DHL guy just left. Best from Narita.
Initially, the xelastec provides a very tight seal...

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #449 of 13,639
I was listening to the Orbs last night as a headfier was asking how the sound is compared to one of my more expensive earphones.

Vocals on the Orbs. Absolutely spectacular. I am 100% sold on using a pure silver cable by the way. Initially I liked SPC cables but pure silver just brings out the best of the Orbs it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back