The PENON official thread
Nov 15, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #3,541 of 13,666
My Legend is so good I sold my MEST MK II. I love the sound with all the dips on. The bass is astounding IMHO. Maybe has something to do w/ the "vented" Sonions on the bass (per Dsnuts). The MEST was like being in the 10th row, the Legend like being on stage being able to discern every nuance:L3000:

Definitely, the Sonion Accupass drivers are working the bass end very well. Also agree that you're up on the stage with the Legend. It's a forward midrange compared to the mild V of the MEST.

I tend to run it in 020, but I'm going to experiment more. In 020 it manages electronic and acoustic equally well.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #3,542 of 13,666
Serial is the first 3DD, there aren’t many 3DD I remember QDC DMAGIC, UM 3DT and UM 3DD-Ti that maybe was the first one.
Very different prices and tuning, so curious how Penon tuned Serial 3DD

JVC also had a Triple DD IEM, but that was around six years ago.

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #3,544 of 13,666
JVC also had a Triple DD IEM, but that was around six years ago.
DSC09235.JPG

JVC FXZ100 JVC FXZ200. I owned both at one point. The Bass on the Z200 was ground breaking at the time and the design here was unique as it had its own bass chamber for bass. This design lives on in the countless cheap knock offs on the express. Apparently you can still buy a set used on ebay for almost $400. Sold off my Z200 and kept the Z100 shown here. I remember when JVC was the bees knees right up there with AT. But no longer.

These were the first triple dynamics. And there has not been a lot of them. From what I understand these are difficult to manufacture.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #3,545 of 13,666
I revisited the Orb today after a while .And what a wonderful surprise it was. Such a wonderful tuning. I think my taste has changed with time and hearing many IEMs. The sound is so rich and relaxing and the bass is just excellent. I wonder what would be considered a direct upgrade in the Penon line up now if there's one?

To my ears, the Globe with the Volt's stock cable.
In addition to the Orb's excellent tuning, added energy - not too much but audible to excite. Added sparkle and air up top. Added detail that some folks have commented in the past, had less on the Orbs.
With the stock cable, the Globes are balance sounding with the little warmth in the mids - the Penon house sound.
This pair is the next step up the ladder...
IMG_20210819_121618.jpg

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #3,547 of 13,666
In addition to the Orb's excellent tuning, added energy - not too much but audible to excite. Added sparkle and air up top. Added detail that some folks have commented in the past, had less on the Orbs.
With the stock cable, the Globes are balance sounding with the little warmth in the mids - the Penon house sound.
IMG_20210819_121618.jpg
Yup the stock spc cable is really that good.

Thus far I’ve experimented with 7n litz upocc, frozen 7n litz scc silver plated, copper/silver hybrid and pure silver with the Globe.

All of them gives a slight difference in flavor, for me I like silver best.

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #3,548 of 13,666
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Unfortunately upgrading or modifying the sound by the way of cables is not an option for me as sonically they all are the same to me.
I'll be interested to see what they come up with next as s TOTL hybrid or tribrid and also the Serial.

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #3,549 of 13,666
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Unfortunately upgrading or modifying the sound by the way of cables is not an option for me as sonically they all are the same to me.
I'll be interested to see what they come up with next as s TOTL hybrid or tribrid and also the Serial.

The Globe cable is already an excellent stock.
There is no condition to replace it in order for it to sound good...
IMG_20210323_203629.jpg

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #3,550 of 13,666
The Globe cable is already an excellent stock.
There is no condition to replace it in order for it to sound good...
IMG_20210323_203629.jpg
Got it, thanks. I'll do some research on it to see what's it all about.🙂

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #3,551 of 13,666

I don't see why not you go for the Volts.
It may be a fallacy or not - but the Volts are "endgame" level in my book.
Comparing to the Orbs - better detail retrieval, more into macro and less into the micro (low level) details.
Detailed without calling attention to itself.
Right now, I love the est treble, how they render extension, sparkle and air.
The Bass is fantastic for me, I enjoyed them equally on ambient and edm.
There is proper holographic imaging and the scale of imaging is on the large side.
Lastly, there's the outstanding Mids, the Penon house that connects the bass and the highs to create a very hi-fi whole...

Nov 16, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #3,552 of 13,666
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Nov 16, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #3,553 of 13,666
I don't see why not you go for the Volts.
It may be a fallacy or not - but the Volts are "endgame" level in my book.
Comparing to the Orbs - better detail retrieval, more into macro and less into the micro (low level) details.
Detailed without calling attention to itself.
Right now, I love the est treble, how they render extension, sparkle and air.
The Bass is fantastic for me, I enjoyed them equally on ambient and edm.
There is proper holographic imaging and the scale of imaging is on the large side.
Lastly, there's the outstanding Mids, the Penon house that connects the bass and the highs to create a very hi-fi whole...
I know, I was initially very interested in them. But went in other directions . I've heard some good impressions on them form different trusted sources. However right now quite some time has passed since their release and I can assume that they'll possibly come up with another tribrid TOTL offering so Ilike to keep my options open.

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #3,555 of 13,666
-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back