The PENON official thread
Sep 21, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #3,316 of 13,653
..so would the Legend be a top candidate if one were to own one 1 pair of iems?

I think they could take you the distance, yes, provided you like your midrange forward! The bass boost switch gives you some action for electronic if you need more sub bass and the 020 setting is an excellent all-rounder for most genres.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #3,317 of 13,653
I think they could take you the distance, yes, provided you like your midrange forward! The bass boost switch gives you some action for electronic if you need more sub bass and the 020 setting is an excellent all-rounder for most genres.

In your estimation, what does the 020 setting actual do to the frequency response? Does the "2" setting increase or decrease the upper or lower mids? The "atmosphere" description is a bit vague so I am trying to understand what it does!

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #3,318 of 13,653
Thanks for your kind words! It hasn't been easy to collating all my thoughts on the Legend. It was a difficult one to initially pin down. I knew it was good but I needed to tease out the 'why'.

I would love to compare those too. I'm afraid, for now, my money is going elsewhere (namely earbuds). If I'm ever in a position to line those IEMs up I'll get something down on paper for sure.

The FAN is still a great DD for the price and I prefer its tuning to the Starfield.
I completely understand about the cash outlay. It would seem to me that it would be in companies’ best interest to get review units (as a loan or for dirt cheap) to reputable reviewers like yourself. But, then the workload… :/

Have fun with earbuds. That is one audio category my ear anatomy won’t let me use easily, they fall out no matter what I do.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #3,319 of 13,653
Really eager to read more Legend reviews. I think I'll get the Globes sometime in October and see how I feel about Penon IEMs, and if I'm into them, start saving up for the Legends. A nice pair of IEMs that does everything I throw at them well would be great now that I'm probably going to start going to the office a bit more again soon.

Go for it! The Globe is an easy peasy choice, imo.
The Globe gives off a moderate energy boost, without exaggeration. Just the right amount, avoiding what some folks would call "boring".
If you love your mids, complemented by quality bass and controlled, extended highs, decent amount of details and separation, a very decent head stage...

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #3,320 of 13,653
In your estimation, what does the 020 setting actual do to the frequency response? Does the "2" setting increase or decrease the upper or lower mids? The "atmosphere" description is a bit vague so I am trying to understand what it does!
Imo 020 doesn't actually do anything to the mids frequencies. It adds like ~5db sub-bass, which has the effect of pushing vocals slightly further away in the mix (but still pretty forward), and makes the staging seem a bit expanded. 000 is pretty lean on the sub-bass, so 020 effectively makes the presentation more full and "atmospheric".

One comment I'll make about the Legend, the soundstage width is not too far above average due to the mids forward signature, however it has by far the tallest and deepest staging of any IEM I've tried. Instrument separation and placement are superb.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #3,321 of 13,653
I've just posted my Legend review here.

There's alot to be said for this IEM and I hope to see more reviews surface to cover it all. All I can say is that I'm very satisfied and feel as though I've found the IEM I have been searching for since I started out on this journey several years ago. If you're in any way interested in a good midrange and value for money, you need to give the Legend serious consideration.

_DSC2413.jpg

Excellent review, and I agree about the bass presentation. Definitely the weak spot of the Legend. It's very snappy, detailed, and clean, however at the end of the day it's BA bass and it can come off as pillowy at times.

I've found that the Shanling house sound complements the Legend well. Adds some distortion/warmth in the lower ranges that helps it sound more "dynamic."

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #3,322 of 13,653
I'm never buying a BA IEM that doesn't use Sonions for the mids ever again. They are so damn smooth and natural sounding.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #3,323 of 13,653
Excellent review, and I agree about the bass presentation. Definitely the weak spot of the Legend. It's very snappy, detailed, and clean, however at the end of the day it's BA bass and it can come off as pillowy at times.

I've found that the Shanling house sound complements the Legend well. Adds some distortion/warmth in the lower ranges that helps it sound more "dynamic."

The Shanling M8 as a DAP has always added deeper extension and detail to the low end of my IEMs and I can appreciate it here too. So I would definitely agree it's a nice match to bring out as much texture in the bass of the Legend as possible.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #3,324 of 13,653

Give me a little more time to come to my 'best estimation'. It's not easy to pin down by ear and I'm not sure I'd be adding much to discussion by speculating. Hopefully as people with measuring rigs get their hands on the Legend they can comment or demonstrate it objectively. Subjectively it's subtle but makes a big difference to the acoustic space.

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #3,326 of 13,653
Your going from a very good sounding hybrid for the price to a great sounding flagship for its price. It is a substantial leap in sound design and performance. I do love the bass end of the Aladdin though but for mids, treble, stage, imaging, detail, and overall SQ. It is a substantial upgrade.

Once you hear a fully burned in Legend vs Aladdin you will be able to clearly tell which one is what.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #3,328 of 13,653
The Penon FAN is now on offer on AliExpress for the next 4 days
If you like your Bass, coupled w/ the Penon house sound mids and fair treble, this is a very good buy...

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #3,329 of 13,653
This is very edm, pop as well as commute friendly...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....store_pc_allProduct.8148356.2.51b22b2ahkiUqC
1632728953462.png

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #3,330 of 13,653
The FAN is a fantastic complement to the 2021 Hana. Yin/yang of sub $200 DD IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back