The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Mar 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2,716 of 2,849
Quote:

With amplification and EQ they most certainly are basshead cans and pound.  

I have two different rigs that I've tried them with - first is my main listening setup which has a Magni and ZO double amp combo (so of course the bass is powerful) but even on my computer rig which is laptop to Fiio D-5 DAC into my Indeed G-3 with bass boost switched on, these thump darn well.  

Anyway, I also have Beyer velour pads but I doubt they affect the bass in any way, but I rank these up there with my other basshead phones (see list in my sig). 

Oregonian, why do you have both the  HARX700 and the HTF600?
Dont they have a similar sound?

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #2,717 of 2,849
Quote:

Oregonian, why do you have both the  HARX700 and the HTF600?
Dont they have a similar sound?

When I found this gem of a "wallet emptying enthusiast website", I sort of went a bit crazy on Amazon with my Prime membership and bought a number of different cans to try out, and for the price, the JVC and the Panasonics were worth trying.  Personally I don't really like the JVC's fit but since they are so inexpensive I will just keep then.  I like the Pans better for sound as well.  No doubt.  

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #2,718 of 2,849
Quote:

When I found this gem of a "wallet emptying enthusiast website", I sort of went a bit crazy on Amazon with my Prime membership and bought a number of different cans to try out, and for the price, the JVC and the Panasonics were worth trying.  Personally I don't really like the JVC's fit but since they are so inexpensive I will just keep then.  I like the Pans better for sound as well.  No doubt.  

Why dont you like the JVC fit?

I'm debating whether to get the JVCs for $32 or the Panasonics for $25. Supertoaster said the build quality is much better on the JVCs. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,719 of 2,849
I had both and like the build and fit of the JVC's. They are a bit heavier and the soundstage is not nearly as wide and open as the Panys are but still a great headphone. Get both, return the one you don't like.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #2,720 of 2,849
Quote:

I'm debating whether to get the JVCs for $32 or the Panasonics for $25. Supertoaster said the build quality is much better on the JVCs. 

Yeah the build is better on the JVC's but they are not as comfortable to me.  The bottom of the cups feel much less clamp than the upper edge of the cup and that makes it feel 'different'.   They are solid units but the Panasonics feel better on my head.  Just my feeling.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2,721 of 2,849
Quote:

Another option I wanted to try is the JVC HAM5x at $49, reputed to be their best bass headphone.  

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #2,722 of 2,849
Quote:

Another option I wanted to try is the JVC HAM5x at $49, reputed to be their best bass headphone.  

I have the HAM5X, but they are not worth $49. They were at $32 a couple of months back, I bought them from amazon.co.uk for $36-ish.

I like them, but the wire on them is not good, in terms of robustness. It is quite thin. Also it is short.

I  would like to have another headphone for general listening to movies and stuff, which is more rugged. I have another panasonic, with great wires, but it is falling apart from 10 years or so of usage.

I would like to get only one, so its either the panasonic or the HARX700.

Are the wires thick on both?
In what way is the build quality on the panasonics inferior?

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #2,723 of 2,849
Quote:

I have the HAM5X, but they are not worth $49. They were at $32 a couple of months back, I bought them from amazon.co.uk for $36-ish.

I like them, but the wire on them is not good, in terms of robustness. It is quite thin. Also it is short.

I  would like to have another headphone for general listening to movies and stuff, which is more rugged. I have another panasonic, with great wires, but it is falling apart from 10 years or so of usage.

I would like to get only one, so its either the panasonic or the HARX700.

Are the wires thick on both?
In what way is the build quality on the panasonics inferior?

it's just more flimsy, cheaper plastic. The headband on mine broke (the ear cup broke off) and I had to tape it. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #2,724 of 2,849
I still can't see why people say these are basshead cans. I've been listening to them for a few days now and the bass is really underwhelming, especially when I went in with high expectations because of what people said about them.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #2,725 of 2,849
Quote:
I still can't see why people say these are basshead cans. I've been listening to them for a few days now and the bass is really underwhelming, especially when I went in with high expectations because of what people said about them.

when you see someone say "basshead" on head fi it usually just means "a more bass than a neutral headphone". The same thing happened with my DT770 Pro/80s. Though its a bit different since they actually do have a lot of sub-bass but not much mid bass punch.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #2,726 of 2,849
Quote:
when you see someone say "basshead" on head fi it usually just means "a more bass than a neutral headphone". The same thing happened with my DT770 Pro/80s. Though its a bit different since they actually do have a lot of sub-bass but not much mid bass punch.

Lol I tried JVC FX series IEMs, they literally BLOW AIR WAVES into your canals whenever theres mid bass and its '**$%ing Awesome. But I really dont think that kind of bass is really necessary. HTF has bass that you can distinguish and they have plenty of them. If these are not bassy headphones Im not sure what a basshead is. I tried House of marley closed cans they had more bass but it was bloaty and no where as satisfying as the Htf. If there are better "bassheads" out there I would like try them under 100 hopefully or 200.

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #2,727 of 2,849
these are probably one of the cheapest sounding cans ive ever herd i have them about 40+(with 200hours of burn-in)hours of collective listening. was about to return them when they broke trying to put them back in the box.....i feel so mislead by all these reviews. very plastic-y sounding and utter lack of detail. i also listened to a pair my friend bought at the same time with me and same difference... bought the technical pros for 45$ and for once a budget can lived up to the hype. using .wav/.FLAC with e17>e09k im only writing this post so somebody else does not make the same mistake

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2,728 of 2,849
Quote:
these are probably one of the cheapest sounding cans ive ever herd i have them about 40+(with 200hours of burn-in)hours of collective listening. was about to return them when they broke trying to put them back in the box.....i feel so mislead by all these reviews. very plastic-y sounding and utter lack of detail. i also listened to a pair my friend bought at the same time with me and same difference... bought the technical pros for 45$ and for once a budget can lived up to the hype. using .wav/.FLAC with e17>e09k im only writing this post so somebody else does not make the same mistake

You are definately in the minorty. The construction does leave something to be desired but the sound is fantastic for the $30 headphone. Open, wide, bassy, clear, non-fatiguing. Many, many people enjoy these. But as you know sound is subjective. Ones mane bliss is anothers torture.

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #2,729 of 2,849
Quote:
Lol I tried JVC FX series IEMs, they literally BLOW AIR WAVES into your canals whenever theres mid bass and its '**$%ing Awesome. But I really dont think that kind of bass is really necessary. HTF has bass that you can distinguish and they have plenty of them. If these are not bassy headphones Im not sure what a basshead is. I tried House of marley closed cans they had more bass but it was bloaty and no where as satisfying as the Htf. If there are better "bassheads" out there I would like try them under 100 hopefully or 200.

I has those IEMs. The bass is insane. The highs will make your ears bleed though. Man is there some sibilance.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #2,730 of 2,849
Quote:

I running them through Xonar DG w DOLBY 3d. Works REALLY well together. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back