The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Dec 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #1,591 of 2,849

Quote:

I tried it at 1080p and it was still bad. Oh well, I won't belabor it.

I like the song. She's kind of a mix of Adele and Katy Perry rolled together...

Now that I listened to it, I'm pretty sure the "distortion" is part of the song. It sounds just like the the another version on youtube without the DH DSP. The vocal is fine, but they deliberately added in the effects into the mix.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #1,592 of 2,849

Quote:
Now that I listened to it, I'm pretty sure the "distortion" is part of the song. It sounds just like the the another version on youtube without the DH DSP. The vocal is fine, but they deliberately added in the effects into the mix.

Well, I'm glad it isn't just me who hears it.

I think you might be right about it being by design. I was just confused because he described the bass as punchy and well controlled, and I don't hear that.

By design or not, I don't like the sound of it.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #1,593 of 2,849

Quote:
Head-Fi newcomer here.

I'm a big hip-hop fan.  Having recently put subs in my car, and owning only ibuds, I wanted a pair of headphones with more bass.  Being a college student, I also didn't want to spend too much,  Googling around led to this site and this thread.  I narrowed my choices down to these and the Sony XB500s.  As I listen to some ska (Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto) in addition to hip-hop, I pulled the trigger on the HTF-600s.  I've been very happy with them.  While they don't enhance the bass on every song like subs do, they do a great job of bringing the bass out in bassy songs.  I have found they do not sound quite as good at very low volumes.  I was pleasantly surprised at how awesome ska sounded on these as well the first time a ska song came up on shuffle.

Now I see why everyone says ibuds suck so much.

Thank you everyone who offered their opinion on the HTF600s, and thank you Dsnuts for introducing them.

I got my pair in November, and they still haven't lost their flavor a month later...
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey I am glad you like these, I do it for guys like you it brings a smile to my face when my thread helps out someone like you. Ultimately if the cans you buy does your music justice that is what it's all about. Keep tabs on this thread as I have a feeling there will be more done with various mods that are happening to these.

A live classic..haha!

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #1,594 of 2,849
Ha..funny you should mention; I've been following this thread since it was..40 pages long? 
blink.gif

Throw this on the HTF600s:

Quote:
Hey I am glad you like these, I do it for guys like you it brings a smile to my face when my thread helps out someone like you. Ultimately if the cans you buy does your music justice that is what it's all about. Keep tabs on this thread as I have a feeling there will be more done with various mods that are happening to these.

A live classic..haha!

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #1,595 of 2,849
Anyone looking for custom pads? My girlfriend is taking the stock ones apart to make templates out of them. We're planning on replacing the pleather with a better material, any options other than velour?

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,598 of 2,849

Quote:
My left side just went quiet, hope the warranty process is easy to deal with.

Blow towards the driver to push it back into position, welcome to one of the huge weakness of HTF600, bad quality diaphragm. It's most likely gonna happen with the new sample sooner or later as well. You know it should be normal when you hear a faint "click" once you seat the headphones back on your head. Or did you mean completely silent/dead?

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #1,599 of 2,849
Thanks! That absolutely did he trick, blew into it and heard a pop.  I can't believe that it's possible for the diaphragm to do that.

Quote:
Blow towards the driver to push it back into position, welcome to one of the huge weakness of HTF600, bad quality diaphragm. It's most likely gonna happen with the new sample sooner or later as well. You know it should be normal when you hear a faint "click" once you seat the headphones back on your head. Or did you mean completely silent/dead?

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #1,600 of 2,849
Um, guys...

I think I might have somehow wrecked the bass response on my HTF600's today with sine sweep bass tests.  (I didn't even try anything particularly ridiculous...just 20Hz I think.)  They sound suddenly bass-light in some way, to the point where my Re-ZERO's have more impact.  Uh-oh.

Is that even possible?  I mean, it's not like I totally blew the drivers out or anything.  They're still making sound, and they can even get loud, but...the bass is not what I remember it to be.  I should mention that I did get my FA-011's today, so my mind could be playing tricks on me after listening to their stronger impact...but I'm going back and forth between my HTF600's and Re-ZERO's too.  I always felt the HTF600's were less bass-heavy than they're made out to be, and perhaps my Re-ZERO's aren't as bass-light as I originally thought, but...seriously?  What?

Argh, maybe I should just get some sleep.  The more I listen, the more I THINK my mind is playing tricks...either that or the bass is coming back, which would be even weirder.  It's still not clobbering my Re-ZERO's like it should though.

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #1,602 of 2,849

Quote:
Um, guys...

I think I might have somehow wrecked the bass response on my HTF600's today with sine sweep bass tests.  (I didn't even try anything particularly ridiculous...just 20Hz I think.)  They sound suddenly bass-light in some way, to the point where my Re-ZERO's have more impact.  Uh-oh.

Is that even possible?  I mean, it's not like I totally blew the drivers out or anything.  They're still making sound, and they can even get loud, but...the bass is not what I remember it to be.  I should mention that I did get my FA-011's today, so my mind could be playing tricks on me after listening to their stronger impact...but I'm going back and forth between my HTF600's and Re-ZERO's too.  I always felt the HTF600's were less bass-heavy than they're made out to be, and perhaps my Re-ZERO's aren't as bass-light as I originally thought, but...seriously?  What?

Argh, maybe I should just get some sleep.  The more I listen, the more I THINK my mind is playing tricks...either that or the bass is coming back, which would be even weirder.  It's still not clobbering my Re-ZERO's like it should though.

Get out Audacity.

Play 60hz, then 50hz, then 40hz, then 30hz. Stop there. Play the tones for a good 2~5 seconds or even 10 seconds. Analyze the sound. Absorb it.
Do the same with another headphone. One that is less capable with sub-bass. One that is equal or better with sub-bass.
Re-turn your ears.
Make sure your source is the same on each though.

Very best,

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #1,603 of 2,849
I have been reading this thread, almost all the pages. I am interested in a cheap nice overall HP. I made a thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/584793/best-10-30-headphones 

I have a few questions, regarding this HP. How capable are these HPs in playing Classical music, mostly Orchestra based. For example, how energetic and clear will these HPs be with something like Vivaldi's Four seasons. Also, are these HPs super muddy with instruments like a piccolo, for example. Another thing, how would music like Florence and the Machine sound on these HPs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbN0nX61rIs and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGH-4jQZRcc 

I have been hearing nice and bad things about these HPs. So I am trying to find some objective information on each of the HPs that are being referred to me.

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #1,604 of 2,849

Quote:
I have been reading this thread, almost all the pages. I am interested in a cheap nice overall HP. I made a thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/584793/best-10-30-headphones 

I have a few questions, regarding this HP. How capable are these HPs in playing Classical music, mostly Orchestra based. For example, how energetic and clear will these HPs be with something like Vivaldi's Four seasons. Also, are these HPs super muddy with instruments like a piccolo, for example. Another thing, how would music like Florence and the Machine sound on these HPs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbN0nX61rIs and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGH-4jQZRcc 

I have been hearing nice and bad things about these HPs. So I am trying to find some objective information on each of the HPs that are being referred to me.

Thanks.

Fun headphones = death to classical music. You'll want neutral cans for that.

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #1,605 of 2,849

Quote:

Fun headphones = death to classical music. You'll want neutral cans for that.

It'd be extremely difficult to get a neutral can at this price point ($30-40). One of the cheaper options is KNS-6400, but still at $100. FA-006s are only $68+shipping from frogbeats, which is quite neutral; excellent for classical, opera, jazz, and other instrumental/accoutic.

Edit: KNS-6400 are actually $79 at Amazon for people in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back