The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Dec 5, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #1,561 of 2,849

Quote:
Glad you like your new WTF600s. Thanks for the name Assimilator702..More bass? I want to hear what these would sound like in Wooden cups.!

Once in a while I come up with a good one.
L3000.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #1,562 of 2,849
I finally pulled the trigger and have a set on the way.  I plan to use them for movies, music and games in my room when I dont feel like disturbing the roommate or neighbors. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #1,564 of 2,849
yeah, I have heard...but a headphone leaking is nothing like a full 5.1 surround speaker system. and I am going to mess with plugging some of the holes, just for fun

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #1,565 of 2,849
Lol..no..not as bad..They are well worth the money..I never believed in burn in..but these need 15 hours..I waited like 10 and I was sad..i was like wow..these still sound muddy..but about 15 hours got pretty good..They seem to keep getting better..

The jvcs at low volume(low for me..I think had a better sound) but these can boom and not effect the mids too much and the highs are sharp..I can listen to these for 6 hours+ and not get fatigued at all..And stock they are very comfortable..I don't find them to be hot..and they are soft on the ears..

I have a pair of 560s which are the almost same..but a much thinner cable...which sound better but the bass starts to distort a bit at really high volumes..not sure if a cable can do this..but that seems to be the only change they made.

Well, I think you'll enjoy them and if you purchased off Amazon..they pay for return shipping back and any shipping you paid to get them..and full refund price...

I always put in the return auth defective when i return a product..only return 3 things in 2 years..2 of which were a pair of Senn HPs and those JVC 700s which didn't have the Bass that my 560s had..I returned them and got the 600s..and never looked back..I'm on a budget

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #1,566 of 2,849
hey, i actually made an account here, because i read this thread and got these, theyre awesome.

i never had a decent pair of headphones to compare them to really, im coming from skullcrushers which apparently arent held in very good regards here, lol. anyway, they finally died so i got these. unbelievably good in comparison.

anywho, just wanted to say thanks.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #1,568 of 2,849

Quote:
Hey glad you find them to your liking. Ya these are a fun set of cans and will set you on the right path to good sounding stuff... Do the burn and enjoy them HTF600s.

Dsnuts, have you considered removing the foam off the drivers to get more prominent highs?  Just curious whether you tried that or any other mods suggested in this thread.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #1,569 of 2,849
Well I bought 3 pairs. One I gave to my father,. I bought a 3rd to mod but ended up sending that to my buddy in Canada as they have a hard time getting these.  The only mod I have done is getting velour pads for the extra comfort level.. To be honest I think they sound fine the way they are..

Sure they can use some more definition but I just use them the way they are.. I think taking the thin cushion off the driver might help get that extra something off them drivers but I like the way they sound without doing mods.. That being said I think these have some good potential for modding to make them even better..They are cheap enough to try out a few things and if anything throwing out another $30 for a new one isn't gonna hurt that much.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #1,570 of 2,849
I learned from experimenting with other headphones that if you increase the air volume behind the driver, you extend the low end, both in presence and weight, what you hear gains a lot of body. It's not hard to realise that the drivers are cramped in the HTF560/600s, so... let's mod them! Mine have at least 50hs of music and 15hs of pink noise on them.

First I removed the thin brushed aluminium plate with the panasonic logo, then I dremeled the back of the cups.. leaving the headphones completely open. These drivers LOVE to breathe! What's more amazing, is the fact that if you leave the drivers open air, they lose little bass. Nice big soundstage, at last! Lots of sparkle.. maybe too much highs in comparison with the bass level we're used to. A beautiful signature, nonetheless. They DO leak a lot when completely open, I can hear them from a room or two away...

After enjoying them open air a few days, I decided to go on with the mod. I took epoxy putty and built a longer cup, 2cm long from where the stock cups end. Then added the thin brushed aluminium cover with the oval hole in the middle and the panasonic logo. Epoxy putty dries in 10 minutes so there's not much time to do everything, if you're careful and plan it all then the result will be excellent.

Finally I added the damping cloth to the back of the new cups, and left the hole in the middle completely open (remember, those drivers have to breathe! sound quality gets worse if they don't), assembled everything back and...

OMG!

I'm floored. Bass level is back to out of factory, unmodded, bass heaven these are! With the added benefit of it going LOW, while being in balance with the rest of the frequency range. No muddiness, no low end mess, nothing! Beautiful! Damn, some songs' bass make them rumble and move a lot of air, with the mids and highs clear (not as laser-clear as the superluxes and samson SR850, these fatigue you in no time).  Soundstage isn't compressed at all anymore. It's not as defined as the luxes, but it doesn't suck anymore. If only panasonic had added those 2cm to the back of the cups out of the factory, or designed a larger chamber for the driver instead of wasting a lot of room on the decorative rim... :/ The stock headphones are no comparison to what they've become now.

Throw metal, rock, prog metal, indie, dubstep, whatever you want at these, they break no sweat... Hell, even classical doesn't sound weird or bad! (Mozart's violin concerto in G major from a pack of 5 songs HDtracks was offering as a free download to try out their records).

Nightwish's "nemo" gave me chills down my spine, it never sounded so real.. I swear I had the band playing in the same room! I couldn't stop headbanging... DT is just out of this world now.

I'll keep playing with the damping materials now that I have room behind the drivers to do so, and after I'm done I'll sand the epoxy a bit (it'll be as hard as a rock by then), then paint it satin black or something like that.

------------------------------------------------------

Pictures! Sorry for the quality on some of them, when I get a real camera I'll take better ones.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/9460fb163152329
http://www.imagebam.com/image/ffdcf9163152366
http://www.imagebam.com/image/4917c5163152390
http://www.imagebam.com/image/6eef20163152481
http://www.imagebam.com/image/bedfc3163152550

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #1,571 of 2,849

Quote:
Well, I think you'll enjoy them and if you purchased off Amazon..they pay for return shipping back and any shipping you paid to get them..and full refund price...

I always put in the return auth defective when i return a product..only return 3 things in 2 years..2 of which were a pair of Senn HPs and those JVC 700s which didn't have the Bass that my 560s had..I returned them and got the 600s..and never looked back..I'm on a budget

Sorry, but I just have to rant. That's just plain selfish and dishonest. If everybody did this, it would force Amazon to change their return policy. This increases the price of Amazon doing business and we all suffer for it.

All so you can save yourself 6 or 7 bucks...
angry_face.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,573 of 2,849
vodkex> wow wonderful work there man. I guess I'm the first person to say this: "Darth Pans (Deep Cup Edition)". :D Yea I've also figured about the same thing that the enclosure is probably holding them back a bit both soundstage and bass extension wise.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #1,575 of 2,849
No, I used my hands to shape the epoxy putty. As it got harder it was easier to give it the oval shape it ended in.

The blue stuff is plasticine. I used it to add mass to the back of the driver, which tightens the bass (the driver itself doesn't vibrate as much as it would if it were without the extra weight)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back