The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Dec 2, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #1,546 of 2,849
I can't figure out if a.) I've gotten used to them in the absence of my MS1s, b.) some highs and mids FINALLY reappeared, or c.) the C421 could probably make a tin can on a string sound pretty awesome.

I'm guessing b. and c., but definitely suddenly enjoying them this past week. The bass lines on the remastered version of Jethro Tull's Bursting Out are so delicious.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #1,547 of 2,849

Quote:
After using these for 3 days straight and returning to my primary setup, DT990 + Crack, I'm beginning to regret the $600 setup! The $30 cans sound so good for the music I listen to, and it's the warmth that I've been after for a while. Who would have known that they would be in $30 headphones
blink.gif
. I still love my primary, but not as much anymore after hearing the Panasonics...

One day, if you want to buy IEM, don't forget Radius Atomic Bass, Skullcandy Titan.

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #1,549 of 2,849

Quote:
So my friend has a pair of DT990s with both left and right drivers broken...would it be possible to transplant these Panasonic drivers into them?

That is a very interesting thought. I know in the past we discussed about how a driver transplant might work for these. Heck I hope one of these days someone actually tries it. I still wonder how an all wood housing might sound with the HTF600 driver. I think if the guys that make the thunderpants truly want to make something worthy of the name they need to try that with the HTF600 drivers...

That being said there is a reason an rhyme to everything. I think the housing and vented design helps the HTF600 sound like they do and while many of the guys have done different light mods, I don't think any of us will know truly how these drivers would sound in another housing.. That being said the HTF600 are so cheap. It might be a good experiment for your buddy to try.. If anything he might have himself a kick ass custom HTF600. Or it might go south but hey at least he would not be too much out of money to try.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #1,550 of 2,849
With the previous recommended mod to remove the foam over the drivers, I took a look.  I don't know if this was covered previously, but it seems that the foam is already partially cut, such that removing the foam is a matter of just lifting and continuing to tear.

I don't think any of my other cans have partially cut foam like this - any idea why?

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #1,552 of 2,849

Quote:
I still wonder how an all wood housing might sound with the HTF600 driver. I think if the guys that make the thunderpants truly want to make something worthy of the name they need to try that with the HTF600 drivers...

The Thunderpants don't need a Panasonic dynamic driver to be "worthy."

It takes a lot of skill (and trial and error) to make a closed headphone sound good. Gary (the Thunderpants maker) has spent countless hours experimenting and fine tuning his enclosures and materials to extract all the performance out of the patented Fostex RP diaphram - a planar magnetic driver that's as good as any on the market.

It is truly shocking to hear such spaciousness and neutrality from a closed (ported) design. They are one of the best sounding headphones I have ever heard.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,553 of 2,849
Speaking of Thunderpants , here's Thunderpants measured by Tyll btw http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDSmeggyThunderpantsontherivet.pdf and here's unmodded Fostex T50RP http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RP2011B.pdf

Pics (unmodded on top and thunderpants below):

(I don't think the dip around 5kHz is quite that large in reality, it's just something many measurements that Tyll does shows, even also for example Sony Z1000 has a very similar dip at that part so it might be something with the equipment)

Same design would probably help HTF600 to extend the bass response at least. The HTF600 has quite significant bass roll-off but not as much as T50RP though but I bet HTF600 would become very bassy with that thunderpants design, probably too much for audiophiles but for bassheads it might be lovely. :p Those fostex really seem to have a forward midrange... I would be interested in seeing how these HTF600 measures like.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #1,554 of 2,849
Interesting graphs RPG, thanks for posting.

To my ears, I was surprised by how much the Thunderpants sound like the Sennheiser HD 600 (probably why I liked the TP so much). They have slightly more powerful bass than the Senns (closer to LCD-2 kind of bass) but have a very similar character and openness. The only negative I heard was a hint of boxiness with some recordings (I heard it mostly in acoustic/vocals). Gary told me that it's unavoidable with a closed design.

There's really no place for this discussion in the HTF600 thread though. Apples and oranges...

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #1,555 of 2,849

Quote:
That is a very interesting thought. I know in the past we discussed about how a driver transplant might work for these. Heck I hope one of these days someone actually tries it. I still wonder how an all wood housing might sound with the HTF600 driver. I think if the guys that make the thunderpants truly want to make something worthy of the name they need to try that with the HTF600 drivers...

That being said there is a reason an rhyme to everything. I think the housing and vented design helps the HTF600 sound like they do and while many of the guys have done different light mods, I don't think any of us will know truly how these drivers would sound in another housing.. That being said the HTF600 are so cheap. It might be a good experiment for your buddy to try.. If anything he might have himself a kick ass custom HTF600. Or it might go south but hey at least he would not be too much out of money to try.

Thought I responded to this, maybe my post went into the wrong thread (oops
blink.gif
). My friend sounds like he's down with doing the transplant. His DT990s have been dead for a year,  and he says the drivers are too expensive to replace so he wouldn't mind trying out the Panasonics in them. The only problem I see is that the Panasonics are 50mm drivers while the DT990s are made to house 45mm drivers. Nothing a Dremel can't do, right?

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #1,556 of 2,849
You're right, a bit of dremeling and those 50mm drivers will feel right at home.  Probably after some damping (to better adapt the 990 housing to the pannies' drivers) they'll be amazing.

Looking forward to the results of the experiment!
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,557 of 2,849
So i started using these to play Modern Warfare 3 and they are rocking. I also have the XB500 which i tested with the game and boy you can hear the difference, HTF600 sound fantastic all im missing is a mic! lol.  

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #1,559 of 2,849

I agree with this. If you don't care much about actual mic quality, these are a great deal. My only issue with them is that they pick up sound from all around, but they're an excellent value and easy to use. The AntLion BoomMic is the next real step up in quality for attachable mics. 
Quote:
Try one of these. Works good for online chatting. On Amazon for less than $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back