The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Nov 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #1,471 of 2,849
Sorry guys. I started another thread and have been busy getting criticized for my What monkey. I love my What monkey!. I am around I just been stirring up some controversy.oooooo.. See how guys react to a $7.11 IEM. lol..

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,473 of 2,849

Quote:
Sorry guys. I started another thread and have been busy getting criticized for my What monkey. I love my What monkey!. I am around I just been stirring up some controversy.oooooo.. See how guys react to a $7.11 IEM. lol..

Are you talking about the monoprice 8320s? Are they better than the Kanen km92s I just got?  Those were surprising for the price.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #1,474 of 2,849

Quote:
 Are you talking about the monoprice 8320s? Are they better than the Kanen km92s I just got?  Those were surprising for the price.

Cant say. I have never tried those but there is a reason why I made another thread on them..You can read up on it. It has everything a good drama has. Players and haters.  It is all good..People hate it when a $7.11 cheapo iem sounds good. Lol.. These are sold out because of me though..

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #1,475 of 2,849

Quote:
I'll give that a try. I'll see how closing them up and adding cotton mixes with damping the back of the cups with felt.
I sometimes don't like how much they leak :/
Wanna share something with you guys. I tried recabling those the other day, I didn't like the stock cable. I wanted something stronger, more substantial. So I recabled directly to the drivers, + to + and - to - for each channel. Nice DIY cable! but...
It sounded horrible, and I hadn't reversed the wiring. Apart from sounding thin, there was a noticeable lack of soundstage right in front of my head... something was really wrong. Thankfully I had taken pictures of the stock wiring job inside the phones... To my surprise, after studying the wiring... There's some signal mixing going on here. Some form of crossfeed if I'm not mistaken? Sorry for the picture quality, I only had my phone when I took these.
Left driver
http://www.imagebam.com/image/9b6f8c160617225
Right driver
http://www.imagebam.com/image/8dfeca160617217
Ground from the TRS jack (blue) goes to the left driver's ground. Left signal (gold) from the TRS jack goes to the left driver's + pad.
Right signal wire (red) is soldered to a solder pad not connected to anything, it's just there for an easy and safe way of connecting that to the right driver + pad, through the internal wire.
Now, right "ground" (Gold) is connected to left signal + (gold) pad in the left driver :/
Soldered this way it sounds the way we all love and appreciate, with a full 300° soundstage. Not as open and detailed as other cans, yeah, but quite circular nonetheless. Solder the signal wires the usual way, and you get a weird sound, broken up soundstage... they sound like rubbish. I decided to keep the stock cable after this. If you ever recable those, keep in mind how they're wired from factory, don't try to do it the usual way.

Flip the polarity on either drivers(ONLY 1 DRIVER, doesn't matter which). That should fix the problem.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #1,476 of 2,849
Holy **** these phones have some massive bass.  Shaking my head, it's crazy.  Just picked them up, using RPGWizard's EQ settings, and they sound excellent.  Great mid range, crazy low bass range actually vibrates your face with no roll off.  Crisp highs that blend slightly into the mids.  Dominated by bass with the mids equally standing strong through the core of the track.  Very big and versatile soundstage, almost like being engulfed in music from all sides.  Listening to Anjuanabeats 9, amazing album to go along with these insane phones.

Thanks to Dsnuts, and Malveaux for their original reviews.  Thanks RPGWizard for the great EQ settings, and the rest of the head fi community for the rest of the thread. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,477 of 2,849
I just realized something today while I was listening with these:  No matter what I listen to, it sounds pretty good.

In contrast, I never know what I'm going to get with my Re-ZERO's.  Good recordings are teeming with energy, but poor recordings or heavily compressed mp3's sound very flat and lifeless.  That makes the Re-ZERO's somewhat high-maintenance, since certain recordings are so dull and closed-off that I have to go looking for something that won't drive me crazy.  (Listening to flat and "suffocating" recordings is especially terrible with IEM's, because the ear canal seal turns my head into an echo chamber of sorts.  If I lean my head down, I can hear the air I'm exhaling from my nose vibrate against the cord, and I occasionally start feeling as though I'm actually physically suffocating.  It's bizarre.)

I don't feel that way at all with my HTF600's.  They may have a dark sound with rolled off highs (without EQ), but they make practically all of my music enjoyable.  Excellent recordings and files are still noticeably better than poor ones, but the difference is nowhere near as stark, and I never feel an uncomfortable need to change the song due to its recording quality.  I'm sure this is a direct result of the HTF600's lower resolution/detail (and the completely different design), so it comes at a clear price, but it's nice nonetheless.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #1,478 of 2,849
I am glad  you guys are enjoying your HTF600s... These are permanently attached to my desktop at work..I simply don't get tired of listening to my tunes on these..I think for the most part these have been accepted by the rest of the community as a viable budget can and has gained acceptance as being one of the headphones that are talked about here at headfi.. I like to think Malveaux had much to do with this as he recommends these without hesitation to everyone. I am seeing Purple Angle and many others do the same.

I only hope that Panasonic will make more maybe a higher end version.. I would be all over something like that. The more I think about just how these Panasonics sound..It is difficult to have the dynamics these have while having the big bold bass they do..I think the hype has indeed slowed down but my appreciation for these headphones have not.

On this Thanks giving here in the US .. I would like to thank all you guys for making this thread a smashing success. Without all you guys helping us spread the word on these..The HTF600 would not have had the now hundreds if not thousands of believers that a cheap headphone can sound awesome.. You guys are all kick ass. I thought I would let you all know that and I appreciate you guys. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #1,479 of 2,849

Quote:
I am glad  you guys are enjoying your HTF600s... These are permanently attached to my desktop at work..I simply don't get tired of listening to my tunes on these..I think for the most part these have been accepted by the rest of the community as a viable budget can and has gained acceptance as being one of the headphones that are talked about here at headfi.. I like to think Malveaux had much to do with this as he recommends these without hesitation to everyone. I am seeing Purple Angle and many others do the same.

I only hope that Panasonic will make more maybe a higher end version.. I would be all over something like that. The more I think about just how these Panasonics sound..It is difficult to have the dynamics these have while having the big bold bass they do..I think the hype has indeed slowed down but my appreciation for these headphones have not.

On this Thanks giving here in the US .. I would like to thank all you guys for making this thread a smashing success. Without all you guys helping us spread the word on these..The HTF600 would not have had the now hundreds if not thousands of believers that a cheap headphone can sound awesome.. You guys are all kick ass. I thought I would let you all know that and I appreciate you guys. 

A big thanks to you Dsnuts. Many of us beginner audiophiles don't want to spend a lot of money right off the bat but want some great sound to boot. These pannys definitely fit the bill nicely. I would of never known about these or the RX700s if it wasn't for threads like this. Thanks again. Maybe in the future my needs will maybe steer toward some higher end cans and I will definitely come to headfi for advice.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,482 of 2,849

Quote:
I agree thats what i have been thinking panasonic should do a higher end hft 600 prehaps, maybe have it as their flagship.

Yea for that it would be the first time I'd actually be willing to pay more for the construction/build quality itself cuz it's really annoying how the left side driver can get stuck in wrong speaker position so the volume level is messed up so have to blow it into position. Also the material could be better, it's not bad but it does feel like a cheap product which it is.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #1,485 of 2,849
Okay..I have a pair of the 600s..Yes, I really like them..I like them so much I figure why not buy a back up pair..they are back down to $36 on Amazon

My question is should I buy another pair of the 600s or should I pay $9 more and get the Pan RP-HTF890-S?..Any thought on these HPs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back