The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Nov 8, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #1,381 of 2,849
The only thing that concerns me of removing the foam in front of the drivers is that there is nothing protecting them now.  I do believe that this  mod will bring out much more detail though. Ksc75 and Portapro quarter mod and the Rx700 felt mod all do this.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #1,382 of 2,849

Quote:
It's funny that the HD800's keep getting the mention around here on Headfi..
I'm certain that some people would swear by them. However, I had the pleasure of auditioning them the other day with the Bellari HA540 amp, which had enough juice to power a small country
wink_face.gif
   The source was my Iphone 4 with bass heavy Massive Full-On Psytrance, with tracks by DNA, Ananda Shake and Electric Universe (anyone who's anyone on that scene has to know who these are) ..

So here's my take:  Comfort level... Sublime .. absolutely sublime.. I don't think I've ever worn anything more comfy and non-intrusive as these things.. and I've had the XB500's which are raved as one of the most comfortable headphones out there.. Construction.. Wow... that's all I can say, sheer brilliance there.. From the headband, the earpads, cushions, the visible drivers and sheer magnitude of these things.. it's really un-worldly to experience wearing and holding them.. In fact, they're so overwhelming.. when I held them.. I actually held them for a minute before I put them on.. trying just to figure out if I should listen to music through them or use them to go back in time..
atsmile.gif

So.. those are the pluses for construction..

As for sound... Well.. they're definitely Hi-Fi headphones.. on that there is no dispute... Wide WIDE WIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEE soundstage.. very airy, engulfing surrounding, surprisingly warm, laid back and soothing..  Very natural sounding headphones, no doubt..

Now, is the sound worth $1500.000 in my opinion, No.  With construction in mind.. $900 - $1000 realistically speaking is fair..
The Drawbacks.. well, they leak.. not all that easy to drive, even amped.. and they LEAK...  I wouldn't call the HD800's a fun headphone by any means.. they are too Hi-Fi to be fun.. Hell, I love my SRH440's, and I can tell you that they're not a fun pair of headphones..

I think for all round good-to-go headphones, those Panasonics sound like a steal..

Also, for those who are looking for a competitor for the HD650 and HD800's, I give you the Grado PS500 for on-ear design, which sounded better than the HD800 on all aspects (less the soundstage) and for what, $500 Retail..  And for Closed Back Circumaural design, I give you the almighty Shure SRH940.  Truly, Truly underrated headphones and well underpriced - For $350 retail and $270ish online/street... if you have $1000 - $1500 to spend on headphones, give the Grado PS500 or the SRH940 a try.. most likely you'd get one, or the other.. or both before you buy the HD800.. and would still have money to burn on a portable amp and drinks..

But hey.. we're discussing budget cans... right... Yeah.. those Panasonics... look sexy..

nice side review, kinda off topic but WHO THE HEYAL CARES?? :D

straight forward no apoligies and to the point, my kind of review

ive never tried the hd800's but i bet i could agree with your assessment 

but oh noes, not two really bright headphones as suggestions :O

still great suggestions, its just a taste thing. 

i want to see tyll or somebody like that do a revew comparison with the ps500, thunderpants and maybe a used LCD-2 for reference of sound

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,384 of 2,849

Quote:
It seems the shops that have them are selling them for $60. I would wait as the guys you ordered from will honor the price you bought them for. If you managed to get one for $35 or so I would wait. It looks like the popularity has made the the HTF600s raise in value to $60. Good things to those who wait. Plus we are indeed in November..

They gave me free shipping to compensate for the wait time, so it actually comes out to be $31
eek.gif
Worth the wait then!

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #1,385 of 2,849

Quote:
Pumping the Modern Warfare 3 score by Brian Tyler. Loving it. Trully happy with the phones!

That is epic sounding. Get ready for war tunage.
Quote:
They gave me free shipping to compensate for the wait time, so it actually comes out to be $31
eek.gif
Worth the wait then!

You'll get yours soon enough. I only wish they kept the price at $30..Believe me I had no idea they would be this popular. But then again I was so impressed,  I didn't know if fellow headfiers would like them or not. I just threw up a thread because I thought they were at least good enough for budget minded audio enthusiasts to get into. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #1,387 of 2,849
I took out the Silverstone acoustic foam from my cups. I didn't remove them because of cup volume, but because I believe the drivers were backed up against the foam. The drivers don't seem to need much in the way of cup volume, as they're extremely close to touching the backs of the cups as is. I still have the Dynamat on the cups and the back of the driver along with plasticine in the driver baffle. They do sound quite good. They could use a bit less upper-bass and lower mids (they sound slightly bloated), and they don't have a very large soundstage. 

I've noticed, however, that my left driver is loose. It is often cutting out or losing its proper sound. Any air pressure on it can cause it to lose it's proper placement. I've verified this by removing the foam in front of the driver and messed around with blowing on it and sucking on it. The driver keeps it shape, more or less, but you can see it changing its distance from the front of the baffle/grill. I don't think there's any way to fix this permanently, and the driver can lose its proper positioning simply by me moving my head while listening to the headphones. I'm not too happy about this, but it's not much of a loss for $30.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #1,388 of 2,849

Quote:
I've noticed, however, that my left driver is loose. It is often cutting out or losing its proper sound. Any air pressure on it can cause it to lose it's proper placement. I've verified this by removing the foam in front of the driver and messed around with blowing on it and sucking on it. The driver keeps it shape, more or less, but you can see it changing its distance from the front of the baffle/grill. I don't think there's any way to fix this permanently, and the driver can lose its proper positioning simply by me moving my head while listening to the headphones. I'm not too happy about this, but it's not much of a loss for $30.

Yep, you're having the same issue as me, also it's only the left driver for me too, for the right side it doesn't happen, weird. It once happened as I only adjusted the headphone a bit as it seemed the "suction" affect as the cup would be pressed against the head was enough to push it more forward. For what they cost for bringing such a sound for the price you can't complain much but I'd love to have another more solid built headphone sounding quite similar with similarly forward midrange as well as at least as much bass quantity (better extension wouldn't hurt), also highs could optimally be slightly more forward than HTF600 is out of box without tweaking but it's already very close to what I want it to be though. Soundstage is perhaps slightly too intimate/up-front on these HTF600 why it suffers a bit in size so a little bigger soundstage wouldn't hurt either.

Do you think M-Audio Q40 would be the most similar sounding headphones? Both reviews and the frequency response graph available would back that up at least to some degree. They are out of stock like everywhere except the places with higher prices. :s

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,390 of 2,849
Quote:
Can't you glue the driver to the baffle so it keeps its proper position all the time? or am I not understanding correctly what's going on?

The "cone" itself is moving in and out of place.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #1,391 of 2,849
Yea it's the diaphragm (however you spell it lolz) that is the problem. But I don't understand why it happens only to left driver though, all 4 people that have mentioned it it was the left side only.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #1,393 of 2,849
Quote:
Yea it's the diaphragm (however you spell it lolz) that is the problem. But I don't understand why it happens only to left driver though, all 4 people that have mentioned it it was the left side only.

Mine is getting pretty bad. They sound wrong the majority of the time, and when I do get them to sound right, they go back to sounding wrong with even the slightest movements sometimes.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,395 of 2,849
Thank you for the great recommendation on headphones.

I received them Thursday, and listened to them after 3 hours burn in, then 12, then 17, and then 50.  The treble became much more livable at 50 hours, though I did notice a difference even between the 12 and 17 hour mark.

Still a tad bright for my taste, but I can totally live with them at the price point.  As you described, they are a fun, fun headphone to listen to.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back