The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Nov 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #1,246 of 2,849
Hmm, has any1 that got HTF600 tried M-Audio Q40? I think these might be quite a bit similar sounding, Q40 costs maybe around $100 tho but you seem to get a better build quality minus the pads which can appearently be swapped out with example DT770 velour pads for even better comofort, isolation and bass response according to a head-fier here.

There's this frequency response graph for Q40, I think the HTF600 have a very similar curve but I don't think it stretches quite that high around 10kHz though but apart from that it's probably very close. as I also start noticing a minor bass roll off especially around 40Hz on the HTF600 and there isn't much bass bleed into midrange which this Q40 graph would also give a hint of and it's fairly balanced in the midrange that isn't recessed with a slight roll-off in the highs. 

I've been eyeing the Q40 for a long time, I just can't make up my mind if I should give them a try or not. Based on the frequency response it looks near optimal for my taste, just need to tame down the peak in the highs a little.

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #1,247 of 2,849
Burned them in overnight with no change in sound.  Muffled vocals and intrusive bass are the best way I can describe them.

Rather like trying to look at scenery through a very dirty window.

Will let them burn in more today while I'm out of town, but have no great hopes for these for music.  They do ok for games but wasn't  too impressed with them while watching videos last night. While they are certainly tolerable for that purpose, there is absolutely no wow factor with this set.

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #1,248 of 2,849
Vocals are really crystal clear for me but then I applied some slight EQing but it was nowhere horrible out of box either. But then a Grado fan will find almost any other headphone muddy sounding anyway. Those are very colored headphone so I find it rather funny when you speak bad things about the HTF600 when Grado has such an artificially boosted mid/high range. :p Your muddiness might be my holy grail in sound, that's the beauty in this business and why it exists so many different headphones.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #1,249 of 2,849
Real time update on my burn in:
- 3 hrs: Sound still muffled, but bass is starting to open up. It is beating my CAL!s on amount and impact.
- 6 hrs: Where did the bass go? I notice a reduction in bass, but the mids and highs are starting to open up.
- 14 hrs: They are starting to sound better, highs are clearer, vocals still a little muffled, some of the bass came back. I am starting to have trouble differentiating between the Panasonics and my CAL!s.

Will keep you guys updated ...

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #1,250 of 2,849
Straight out of the box, I'm impressed. I mean, they're lovely. Some people are being far to critical. They cost me 35Euro and for that price. THEY ARE UNREAL.

Edit: I understand the criticism people are giving. Can hear it now, but between these and my M50s there are very very small differences. Will provide more feedback in the morning after overnight burn-in.

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #1,251 of 2,849
Seems like the balance between right and left driver has been restored now after I blew quite hard towards the driver to what it had been before I accidentaly dropped them as I currently listen with left and right channel volume at same volume and it sounds balanced.

Would be sweet if Panasonic would offer a version with improved build quality and different stock pads etc while keeping the same drivers.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #1,252 of 2,849
Another 7 hrs of burn in and no discernible difference in the basic sound signature.  If there are subtleties gained through burn in with this set, they are lost on me.  And I while I haven't been too kind to these Panasonics, I'm just reporting what I hear.  They obviously don't suit my taste.

The Grado's also have flaws, including physical discomfort wearing them and too bright a sound, which will eventually lead to fatigue.  Which is why I was willing to try a set within my price range with more bass.  Just too much collateral damage with the HTF-600's, and more bass than I want.

Will be donating these to the gaming pc, so  my young nephew can use them when he comes to visit.  If he complains about them, I'll be sure to report in. 
tongue.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #1,253 of 2,849
Did a few really quick simple mods on these and it seemed to change them for the better; one piece of a pulled apart jumbo cotton ball in each cup, cut up some drawer liner and put them in the backs of the cups a la Graphicism's HA-RX700 mod, large rounded reflex dot on the back of the drivers (furniture feet). I noticed it tightened up the bass a bit and the highs seem less muffled than before. Im tempted to give hans' mod a try with some leftover material from a t50rp mod but itd have to be without dynamat

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #1,254 of 2,849
Several hours into burn-in, starting to notice a bit of a veil? Is that the term? Seems like the sound is being blocked, anyone else expereince this?
Going to give it the whole night and see what the story is.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,255 of 2,849

Quote:
Real time update on my burn in:
- 3 hrs: Sound still muffled, but bass is starting to open up. It is beating my CAL!s on amount and impact.
- 6 hrs: Where did the bass go? I notice a reduction in bass, but the mids and highs are starting to open up.
- 14 hrs: They are starting to sound better, highs are clearer, vocals still a little muffled, some of the bass came back. I am starting to have trouble differentiating between the Panasonics and my CAL!s.

Will keep you guys updated ...

Don't listen to them at all....NOT ONE BIT....until they've cooked for at least 50 hours.

Trust me....you don't want to be discouraged into thinking they sound bad because they do before they're ready.

If you don't like your steak rare you wouldn't take it off the fire after 30 seconds would you?

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #1,256 of 2,849
I did have a mysterious burn-in experience where it was swaying back n forth. It wasn't until about 50hrs it went stable and stopped varying so much in sound. At one point (around 20hrs) I was so disappointed and would have continued using my EQ'd XB500 if I hadn't ventured into removing that inside foam which I'm happy I did as it seemed to have brought the mids a little more forward and a bit more impact in bass (after covering the vents partially after removing the very dense inside vent-covering fabric).

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #1,257 of 2,849

Quote:
If you don't like your steak rare you wouldn't take it off the fire after 30 seconds would you?

If I want steak I'd buy steak. These are bologna. Whether you pay $30 or $3000, if it sounds boxy and colored, it's bad. I'm puzzled by the number of people trying to justify that something is good because it only cost $30 (then trying to burn-in and mod the crap out of it), instead of saving $30 ten times and getting something that actually is good. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #1,258 of 2,849

Quote:
If I want steak I'd buy steak. These are bologna. Whether you pay $30 or $3000, if it sounds boxy and colored, it's bad. I'm puzzled by the number of people trying to justify that something is good because it only cost $30 (then trying to burn-in and mod the crap out of it), instead of saving $30 ten times and getting something that actually is good. 

But it IS good. If you've got enough experience testing different headphones in the 30 ~ $150 range and understand to put your personal taste aside then you should be finding it to be exceptionally great sounding for the price. The build quality could use some improvements but the sound quality you get for the price is good. Try mentioning another headphone with this strong bass response with such a forward midrange for example? I'm all ears as I'm looking for the strongest bass with the most forward midrange as possible to go with it and this is the closest I've found so far.

And what's so bad about modding if it achieves the sound you're looking for? Why pay for something you could fix for free or for cheap yourself? I thought being an enthusiast was all about trying to get the thing he fancies no matter how. So I thought naturally head-fiers would be more open to modding and tweaking than a regular customer. Well that's my point of view, I find it silly to pay more if you can get what you're looking for for less... that just sounds like snobbery to me to "pay for what you want" instead of fixing it yourself.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,259 of 2,849
Real time update on my burn-in:

- 24 hrs: Most of the bass is back, vocals are clearer but overall a little bit darker than my CAL!s.

I know that some of the comments suggest to not listen to them until 50 hrs. I just find it interesting that they are indeed changing, and I am learning to appreciate the importance of burn in by savoring the process.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #1,260 of 2,849

Quote:

rolleyes.gif
.....Then go away, if it bothers you that much. Life is too short for you to be crapping on everyone elses fun. I prefer to buy something cheap and mod my way through it just for kicks, you learn a lot about your favorite sound preference, and are able to share this info with others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back