The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Nov 1, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #1,231 of 2,849

Quote:
Exactly what i would like to know!!!

Which sounds better in terms of directional positioning in BF3? The Samson SR850 or the Panasonic HTF600? which one makes you hear footsteps and pinpoint source of gunshots more easily?

Please compare the directional sound feature in FPS games (direction + distance to source of sound) between:
1) Panasonic HTF890 (open can, larger soundstage than HTF600)
2)Samson SR850
3) Modded Panasonic HTF600 with velour pads

I want to buy one of those 3 but I am very confused.

On the other hand, which one is more immersive and makes all the explosions and screams sound more realistic?

AWESOME Thread Dsnuts!
Thanks!!!

I would rate for the 3 mentioned for gaming.  SR850 > HTF890 > HTF600..  The thing is. All 3 are very ample and very good at gaming.. Though it sounds like you want the best 3D positioning and realism/ immersion. I would go for the Samson SR850.. If you want the most comfortable can out of the 3 I would go for the HTF890 as you can just used those right a way and they also do 3D positioning very well. I like using the HTF600s for more of a cinematic THX like experience. The HTF600 has the best explosions in game. But when it comes to just sheer pin point accuracy and spot on cues in game. Nothing beats the SR850.. I will even say these will beat out the $230 Sennheiser PC360.

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #1,232 of 2,849

Quote:
The Pannys with velours, currently, are my go-to phones for most music, if only for the comfort factor. Personally, I don't think the velours really improved the SQ that much, but the comfort was definitely worth the money I put into the Pearstone pads. I'm not going to lie, though, I do reach for the Grados if the right song comes up. The extra bass is definitely lovely for electronic music, though.

I am wondering how those Pearstone pads differ from the Beyer ones. The Beyer ones have holes along the bottom of the pads. I definitely noticed the immediate increase definition in the highs..Does the pearstone pads have a solid bottom to them?

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #1,233 of 2,849
I accidentaly dropped my HTF600 to the floor today and the sound was lowered in the left side like described by some here so had to "slap" it on the cup and it would become louder but it was like it started sounding a bit different each time I hit it so decided to open up the enclosure and put it back or then it might be also when turning on/off the ZO which helped (doing this it's like the drivers would vibrate for a sec) but it still seems like the left driver is possibly a bit more silent or at least the bass response is but at least when hitting on the side it won't change volume levels now. Could be that I haven't noticed that until now either perhaps. As I use the windows control panel to balance left and right the bass especially seems to be tiny bit stronger from the right one when listening to only one side at a time. I wonder if this is due to they fell in the floor or not, like I wonder what really happened to the driver, has it perhaps moved to another "position" inside the enclosure or something, at least as the right driver seems unaffected.

EDIT: The right side is definitely sounding a bit better when listen to one side at a time at same volume level. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,234 of 2,849
Is dropping them on the floor considered a mod now?

What kind of floor did you use? Ceramic tile? Wood? I would think linoleum might have the best combination of firmness and compliance to tighten up the bass just a little bit...

I need a new hobby...
wink_face.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,235 of 2,849

Quote:
Is dropping them on the floor considered a mod now?

What kind of floor did you use? Ceramic tile? Wood? I would think linoleum might have the best combination of firmness and compliance to tighten up the bass just a little bit...

I need a new hobby...
wink_face.gif

No you got that wrong, I only meant left side sounds worse than right side...

EDIT: Well it could very well have been like this from start and I hadn't noticed both sides weren't totally equal, if I set left volume on 31 and right side on 28-29 they are pretty equal, well TBH at times I wondered if they were balanced or not when I first got them. I keep picturing if the sounds that are supposed to be in the very center sounds like it coming from the center of the stage or not and well with stereo music it's often hard to tell. For lowcost headphones balance issues is common so I suspect it might have been like this before too it's just not until now when I actually test one side at a time I notice it.

So while you get great sound for the money I can't help but giving quite a big thumb down for build quality. I will really see to it that I don't drop it in the future though. :p Luckily I buy the headphones based on the sound they provide, build is fine as long as they don't completely break in say a few months time or that you drop them once and they snapped in half or something.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #1,236 of 2,849
Well, my Panasonics came in the mail today, and I've been testing them for a couple of hours.  So far they have been quite disappointing.  Muddy, overbearing bass and no clarity in the mid range.  I've been going back and forth between my Grado SR-60i's and these and there just isn't any competition on electric guitar or female vocals.  The Grado's curbstomp this set of Panasonics.  I even prefer my my Porta Pro's for most of the rock songs I've tried.

Will move on to games.  The Grado's aren't the best for gaming or even for movies to be frank, so maybe these Panny's will find a niche that will work for me.

As far as their fit....typical over ear sweatiness so far and I don't see that improving without changing the pads.

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #1,237 of 2,849

With these tested frequency response measurements pretty much any bassier oriented headphone would appear muddy in contrast
Hell, even the SRH940 aren't as bright.

But it makes you think.. take the XB500, EQ the Bass and the midrange bass to the flat ratio... and you're golden with a Bass-Heavy set just as-well. 

By the way, if someone has the EQ FR for those Pannys it would be great. Even Panasonic homepage doesn't carry them.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #1,238 of 2,849
I have to agree with Kerry56. I just got my Panny's 1 hour ago and have been going back and forth between my CAL!'s and the HTF's and the Panasonics sound muffled and there is no clarity in the midrange. The highs sound harsh in certain songs. But again, I am comparing fully burned CAL!s with the Panasonics right out of the box. Will give them a good burn in before I post my comments again.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #1,239 of 2,849

Quote:
Well, my Panasonics came in the mail today, and I've been testing them for a couple of hours.  So far they have been quite disappointing.  Muddy, overbearing bass and no clarity in the mid range.  I've been going back and forth between my Grado SR-60i's and these and there just isn't any competition on electric guitar or female vocals.  The Grado's curbstomp this set of Panasonics.  I even prefer my my Porta Pro's for most of the rock songs I've tried.

Will move on to games.  The Grado's aren't the best for gaming or even for movies to be frank, so maybe these Panny's will find a niche that will work for me.

As far as their fit....typical over ear sweatiness so far and I don't see that improving without changing the pads.

Compared to the Grados, the bass is definitely overbearing -- I consider the HTF600s to be budget basshead headphones, which is why I picked them up. If it wasn't for the comfort factor and situations where open isn't the best, I'd be reaching for the Grados almost every time in the home. The only genre that I prefer using the Panasonics compared to my SR-80i on is electronic music, which I do listen to quite a bit. I did prefer them to a borrowed pair of XB500s from a friend, however. I like the sound signature of the Panasonics, but to say that they're able to compete with $100 headphones is a complete overstatement. I personally think they're a great choice for anyone who wants a pair of heavy bass headphones, but they're far from being giant killers. I'm going to ask to borrow a friend's JVC HARX700s for a better comparison against other phones in the same price range.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #1,240 of 2,849
Quote:
I accidentaly dropped my HTF600 to the floor today and the sound was lowered in the left side like described by some here so had to "slap" it on the cup and it would become louder but it was like it started sounding a bit different each time I hit it so decided to open up the enclosure and put it back or then it might be also when turning on/off the ZO which helped (doing this it's like the drivers would vibrate for a sec) but it still seems like the left driver is possibly a bit more silent or at least the bass response is but at least when hitting on the side it won't change volume levels now. Could be that I haven't noticed that until now either perhaps. As I use the windows control panel to balance left and right the bass especially seems to be tiny bit stronger from the right one when listening to only one side at a time. I wonder if this is due to they fell in the floor or not, like I wonder what really happened to the driver, has it perhaps moved to another "position" inside the enclosure or something, at least as the right driver seems unaffected.

EDIT: The right side is definitely sounding a bit better when listen to one side at a time at same volume level. 

Try blowing on the driver to put it back in its proper place. Seriously. I had to do that. Put your mouth in the earpads, get a good seal on it, and blow lightly. You should hear them make a popping noise. If you suck in, you'll hear that they sound worse and get quiet.

You can also suck in from the back side on the driver magnet. That should pull it into the right shape/position as well.

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #1,242 of 2,849
Real time update on my burn in:
- 3 hrs: Sound still muffled, but bass is starting to open up. It is beating my CAL!s on amount and impact.
- 6 hrs: Where did the bass go? I notice a reduction in bass, but the mids and highs are starting to open up.

Will keep you guys updated ...

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #1,243 of 2,849

Stock pads were sweaty to me after a long listening session or if I used them outside on a hot day. I could just have sweaty ears, but I think what I described is more just because of pleather. 

Quote:
I think you might just have sweaty ears.  They seem pretty airy and light to me as opposed to the m50's I had.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #1,244 of 2,849
Same here (about the sweatiness). Ive never really liked hard vinyl pads on any can. These are so light though, with pleather or velour pads like the others have im sure these are super comfortable

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #1,245 of 2,849
Got these in today - just listened for an hour or so out of my NFB-12.

They sound really good - nothing to fault in the bass or treble - very clear, tight, nice detail and speed.

Only thing I'm not sure about yet is the vocals - they sound fine, but at times they sound a little grainy and occasionally harsh.  

Just did a very quick switch back and forth between these and my HD650's - 650's seemed all around more pleasant, but again, I couldn't find anything deficient in the low or high end.  So it may be the mids are just not as smooth.  All of this is w/o burn-in, so I'll burn them in all night and all day tomorrow and then do more careful comparison against the HD650's and my DT880's out of different amps.

In any case, these are no question worth the $30 and I'm sure my nephew will love them as an alternative to the iPod buds.  

More later after some burn-in and more listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back