The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 23, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #962 of 2,849
Get the superlux next. It's one of my favorite headphones. Beautiful highs and crisp details. Just need to dampen it a bit to tame the loose bass and you got yourself something wonderful.
Quote:
Hey guys I am new to the community and a new headphone lover. I have the CAL!s and I went ahead and bought the Panny's at shopblt.com, out of stock but I am hoping they get some soon. I am building a list of inexpensive headphones I want to buy to start figuring out what I like. I think I will enjoy clear sound with punchy bass. So far this is the list I have put together:
- CAL!s (already own)
- Panasonic HTF 600 (on their way)
- Koss PortaPro
- Sony XB500
- Superlux 668B
- JVC HARX 700

Any others you think I am missing?

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #963 of 2,849

Quote:

Man, what a burn. Glad I got in under the wire.  Meanwhile, I'll post/repost some links in honor of Amazon's unparalleled greed.  
These seem to be identical:
http://www.crispdeals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PANAS-RPHT560&click=3344&gdftrk=gdfV21146_a_7c364_a_7c4885_a_7cPANAS_d_RPHT560

There's a link also for 15% off, but I didn't click it, so I don't know what hoops you'd have to leap through.

Here's another place with 9 in stock @ $30.69. Act fast!!
http://www.affordablehomeelectronics.com/rp-htf600-s-djstylemonitorheadphone.aspx

10 in stock here @ $29.71:
http://www.audio-discounters.com/rp-htf600-s.html

This is lowest price place at $24.42, and ships internationally, but I've never heard of them:
http://www.govgroup.com/panasonic-rp-htf600-s-monitor-headphone-2428103-prd1.htm?productFeedId=0&utm_source=googleFeed&utm_medium=shoppingEngine&utm_medium=Google

I wonder if we can look forward to the same bloat with the velours.

Thanks for the links, man! I used Affordable Home Electronics with shipping to Canada. I couldn't get GovGroup to ship internationally (I think you have to be military personnel).

I paid $41 with shipping... I hope that's a good price; I haven't seen any on this side of the border.

Does anyone know if there is there any place for me to get comfy replacement pads in Canada? The pads alone from B&H would cost $32 shipped (almost the price of the cans)!

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #964 of 2,849
I'm probably approaching 50hrs or so mark and I still think it's just getting better. It starts sounding a bit like the "lion" is getting tamed that didn't want to get tamed at first (talking about how it responds to EQing) Ofc all the tweaking (modding, EQing, foobar2000 Dolby headphone config, ZO amp on contour lvl 2 etc.) I've done has definitely helped but I'm so satisfied atm. I would classify it more like listening to a pair of 6" studio monitors with slightly boosted bass response, it's more like a speaker than headphone kind of sound, powerful, full, balanced so you hear every little detail nicely while not being analytical but fun, engaging, musical etc.

I so wish I could demo my setup to others and see what they think because it's quite a night and day difference if I'd compare completely stock settings vs this. Stock it's less balanced, less fun, less analytical, less bassy, less engaging, less soundstage, less everything. What I'm hearing atm with all tweaks I'd pay $230~250 for, stock-wise it's more worth around $130~150 for me.

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #965 of 2,849
No, I live in a state capital that is quite big. Actually, it's a chronic problem of our postal service and customs. I buy lots of stuff from Korea, UK, HK and USA and usually it takes one or two weeks for something arrive in our ports/airports. All problems start once a package arrives here, it can take up to one month or more for our customs to tax or to send it to the postal service, and up to two weeks for the postal service to deliver it.
Right now I'm waiting one package from Korea since 09/05.

Quote:

Months???  Do you live in a very remote area of Brazil?  I ship stuff to Brazil from the U.S. all the time and it never takes more than about 2-3 weeks via USPS priority international.  Even 1st class international usually arrives in less than a month.  You might want to keep that in mind for future reference if you can exert any influence over the shipping method. Some of the private carriers, like UPS, take a lot longer than the US postal service. I think the postal service has some kind of arrangement with the Brazilian post office or customs.  Also, the USPS has better rates than the private carriers for lighter items, less than about 4 pounds.  Sometimes online retailers default to UPS or Fedex, but they will ship via USPS if you ask them to.

disclaimer: I do not, nor ever have, been an employee of the USPS.... I DID however work at UPS many years ago, which is why I will never ship, or accept a shipment, with/from them....ever...under any circumstance.

Quote:
One or two months?? Seriously? You are making a joke... I use mine without mods for the moment. I think they sound fine without them and another thing for the guys that want even more full mids and maybe even more bass.. You can always try eQing.  I make it seem like the velours are 100% necessity. That is not the case. There are some guys that actually prefer the sounds without the velours after getting them.. So no worries.  I would just enjoy them after burn..Let us know your impressions on them once you get them.

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #968 of 2,849

Quote:
Why would you trust a guy named Dsnuts anyway. ? Lol..Well I promise there aren't too many Headphones like these HTF600s.. In fact I will go further and say there is nothing like them at the moment. Even at $60.
  1. Marximus
  2. badge_500.v1305918899.png
  4. online
  1. 832 Posts. Joined 2/2007
  2. Location: Vancouver, WA

Glamor shot.                                                                                    Marximus you are starting to sound like a HTF600 addict.!! Control yourself!

Don't worry, it's not all unicorns and rainbows.  There are a few genres where I miss the clarity of my FA-003s (classical being one).  If only I could get rid of that veil....

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #969 of 2,849
Won't call it a veil but the HTF600 is definitely lacking the amount of low level resolution the FA003 can reproduce. 

I really wanted the HTF600 put my AD900 to shame.. but I think that's too big a task. It just doesn't have enough detail for me to call it Hi-Fi or over $150 worth (in comparison to the FA003 and K501)

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #972 of 2,849
A buddy recommended these to me as well for a stellar budget headphone. I found them on ebay for about $37 + $8 shipping. I had $10 in ebay cash so thought, what the heck, will give them shot for this price!!

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #973 of 2,849
So as I wake up this morning and this thread has exploded.. I just realized these cans are finally getting recognized by a bunch of fellow headfiers.. The intent of the post that I was hoping would take off.

Take off it has.. Because all of you guys.. Every headfier has just about taken notice.. How can you not when it is number one on headfi..

Ultimately it is a new can that deserves this thread and deserves the following it has garnered.. There is no such thing as a perfect can at any price but I think the reason why these appeal to us, at least for me is that they are a blast to listen to music with.. As l look at this photo. Great photo by the way Marximus.. I realize Panasonic has raised the bar on what budget cans can be.  These deserve a place for everyone to just enjoy.. They aren't meant for anything but the sheer joy of being surrounded by your tunes.. In that regard..They succeed in spades...No need to over analyze or think if these will beat up on your high ends.. Just enjoy them for what they are.. They are yours, you all got one before they raised the price.  I think these might be gifts from the Headphone gods. Lol!!.. Enjoy them HTF600s and blast them tunes!! Thanks to everyone on this thread for contributing.. I am excited to think of possibilities for these.. I hope this sends a clear message to Panasonic..  Please give us another more refined version..

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #974 of 2,849

Quote:
You can add seasoning to hamburger, but that doesn't make it prime rib. Just enjoy the best damn hamburger you've ever had.

Appearently you haven't heard what a good EQ can do like 90% of people assuming the EQ I use will result in same results as your standard foobar, winamp, itunes etc crap EQ. :wink: Some EQs can worsen sound quality as soon as you enable it (Realtek), some can make $50 headphones sounding like $200.

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #975 of 2,849

Quote:
EQ / switch pads.

I have Rockbox on my mp3 player which allows me to EQ.  Can someone help me equalize For these phones. ? Thanks
Here is a list of the following options for EQ  
Bass
Bass Cutoff
Treble 
Treble Cutoff
Stereo Width
Dithering
Timestretch
Compressor
PreCut
Low Shelf Filter
Peak Filter 1-3