The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 22, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #887 of 2,849

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I listened and deleted.

That track is actually a pretty good example of music that these headphones aren't best suited for. In the beginning, the bass guitar is a little too forward and blooming, and some of the whispers are hard to hear because they are being masked by the bass guitar. I A / B 'ed the song between the Panny's and my Sennheisers and the difference was night and day. With the Senns, the bass guitar was deep and resonant, but tighter and better defined, with air and space around it in the mix. This allowed the whispers to be clear and crisp sounding and seemingly positioned in space around my head more three dimensionally.

That said, my Panny's now have about 50 hours of burn-in and I'm eating crow over my earlier comments. They tightened up significantly and the treble veil has lifted more since unboxing. Today, as I write this, I would call them a dark, mid-bass emphasized headphone. Very smooth and refined sounding for the price. What really surprises me is how much more of my music sounds better through them than my other more "neutral" headphones.

A lot of 80's rock and pop was mixed kind of thin and bright, and these headphones are perfectly colored for adding weight and removing the excessive brightness from these. I listened to some Donald Fagen, Eurythmics, B-52's, Basia, The Romantics, and OMD - to name a few and they all sounded terrific through these Panny's. I know which albums in my collection suffer from this kind of sound mastering and I will reach for these headphones every time. They are really fun and punchy. Again, low bitrate MP3's and streamed media also sound better through these - their smoothness makes them really forgiving and easy to listen to without fatigue.

I can also confirm post burn-in that the coloring of these headphones make them a poor choice for listening to darker sounding, more lush recordings. Music with a "vinyl" or "analog" sound to them is especially veiled and muddy to my ears. I listened to a sampling of my jazz and classical music (both on vinyl and digital - redbook and SACD) and this held true for everything I sampled.

I don't see this as a negative though. All headphones have some coloration, and some are more pronounced than others. We've all heard of the "Grado sound" and the "Sennheiser veil." Well, add these to the list of flavors. Their refinement and polish makes them play way above their price class.

I've found that, too.  I listened to Aerosmith's Greatest Hits with them last night for the first time in a looong time, and it was a lot of fun.  They're a nice complement to my FA-003s for big, bold music (The Asteroids Galaxy Tour comes to mind).

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #888 of 2,849

Quote:
Bottom Line Telecom has these coming into stock at the end of Oct and sells them for $30 shipped.  

I thought I was completely done buying HP's for now, but all this praise got me to order a pair.  I may give these to my nephew for Xmas - think he's still using Apple buds.

Do these come sealed?  Or can I be a kind uncle and pre-burn these in and have a little listen myself?  
rolleyes.gif

I think it was Palmfish that said they would give it to their kids.?.. Well if these aren't as good as these guys say it is then I will just throw it to the kids is the thought..The reason why these compliment any set of high end cans that you have is how musical they are. They make music enjoyable. There are many guys that would rather listen to these than throw on their high ends for many types of music..

That is why these are recommended to the entire community.. Some times you don't want to sit there and analyze nothing. Sometimes you just want to loose yourself in the tune... And you are right. These are the perfect gift to send to a loved one or a good friend.. If there was ever a gateway to better audio these have to be the front runners of this. Glad you are getting them and it won't surprise me when you get yours to burn them for your nephew only for you to end up keeping them. Get 2. One for you and one for your nephew.. I can certainly guarantee you have never had a $30 headphone that sound like this one. Check out Souji's open box video when you get a chance in the beginning of the thread.

Ya how dumb is that statement guys.. A $30 headphone that sound like these..
blink.gif
But so true. $30 for these?

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #889 of 2,849
RPG Wizard;

Thank you for your pics of EQ settings and whatnot.  Now that you have more time with these, what EQ settings are you using?  A lot of the other settings you posted I don't have as I use a Creative X-Fi card.

MalVeaux and Dsnuts; thank you for introducing me to these headphones.  My initial impression is very positive.  I must wait for Amazon to get the pads you linked in stock though before trying them.  Do you use any EQ settings or sound card modifications?

Thank you in advance!

I should edit, do you guys use anything like Bass Boost or Frequency cutoff?

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #892 of 2,849

Quote:
RPG Wizard;

Thank you for your pics of EQ settings and whatnot.  Now that you have more time with these, what EQ settings are you using?  A lot of the other settings you posted I don't have as I use a Creative X-Fi card.

MalVeaux and Dsnuts; thank you for introducing me to these headphones.  My initial impression is very positive.  I must wait for Amazon to get the pads you linked in stock though before trying them.  Do you use any EQ settings or sound card modifications?

Thank you in advance!

Before you tinker around with eQ settings and the like.. Give them a nice burn in and they will improve greatly from even what you are hearing now..As far as eQing goes that is just a matter of sound preference more than anything.. I actually like to boost my bass end even further with eQ. Big bass with tunes like this one.
Then lower my bass eQ a bit with tunes like this one.
In the end. It all sounds good to me.

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #893 of 2,849

Quote:
I think it was Palmfish that said they would give it to their kids.?.. Well if these aren't as good as these guys say it is then I will just throw it to the kids is the thought..The reason why these compliment any set of high end cans that you have is how musical they are. They make music enjoyable. There are many guys that would rather listen to these than throw on their high ends for many types of music..

That is why these are recommended to the entire community.. Some times you don't want to sit there and analyze nothing. Sometimes you just want to loose yourself in the tune... And you are right. These are the perfect gift to send to a loved one or a good friend.. If there was ever a gateway to better audio these have to be the front runners of this. Glad you are getting them and it won't surprise me when you get yours to burn them for your nephew only for you to end up keeping them. Get 2. One for you and one for your nephew.. I can certainly guarantee you have never had a $30 headphone that sound like this one. Check out Souji's open box video when you get a chance in the beginning of the thread.

Ya how dumb is that statement guys.. A $30 headphone that sound like these..
blink.gif
But so true. $30 for these?

Thanks for the reply.  Right now I have DT880/600's for analytic listening and HD650's for laid back listening and getting lost in the music without worrying about hearing every detail.  Do you really think this gives me another listening option I don't get with the 650's? I don't mind buying another set - they're cheap enough!  But if they're redundant with 650's. . .

And I guess most are positive on the velour pads for both comfort and SQ, right?

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #894 of 2,849

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.  Right now I have DT880/600's for analytic listening and HD650's for laid back listening and getting lost in the music without worrying about hearing every detail.  Do you really think this gives me another listening option I don't get with the 650's? I don't mind buying another set - they're cheap enough!  But if they're redundant with 650's. . .

And I guess most are positive on the velour pads for both comfort and SQ, right?

You read what Malveaux wrote about how he prefers these HTF600s over his HD650s for casual listening on the beginning of the thread? If not you should.. Now these aren't going to be at the level of headphones you already own. But they do something that many higher end cans either are lacking or just don't have. First there is nothing missing in the sound signature..Many bass heavy phones on these threads are missing this or that.. If you think about just that alone the only HPs that are bass heavy that aren't missing anything in the sound signature would be something like a Denon or a Beyer. But even those many say they sound like a V shape EQ curve on them.

Then they have this ample big boxy sound stage with a smooth full sound and warm dynamic bass.. What the velours do is add just a bit more detail and lifts a layer on the highs that are masked, believe it or not from the thick pleather the headphones use.. This is not evident for the guys that don't own the velours.. Once installed.. The tad brighter highs actually balances out the warmness of the phone and you get what I like to call the Uber HTF600s. Best version possible. Adds a bit of shimmer/ sparkle. The reason why the beyers pads are sold out everywhere.. Sorry guys..

Plus the velours add to the comfort level all other headphones will be compromise on this front..You would figure there would be less bass but the shocking thing is. The velours have no effect on the bass level at all.

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #895 of 2,849

Quote:

I think it's reasonable to think of these Panny's as imitation HD 650's with bloated bass. They have a similar sound that I do think would be redundant. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #896 of 2,849

Quote:
RPG Wizard;

Well I'm pretty much a basshead though and the sound card drivers I use are quite special so the very exact settings I use wouldn't be possible to use on another soundcard cuz you wouldn't be able to use 2 EQs at a same time but for others with a X-Fi card I'd recommend something like this or the closest you can get with that EQ as it doesn't allow 0.1 increments like mine (should sound reasonably close with same values on the X-Fi EQ) if you're still using the stock pads:

(I plugged out my ZO amp when testing this out and ran directly from soundcard)

Remember I removed the inside foam which seemed to bring the midrange a little more forward though so would possibly had adjusted it a little differently if the foam wasn't removed. Anyway here's also what I currently use myself:

Well for some reason it results in a lot better endresult if I use 2 EQs instead of one with this, the HTF600 responds quite poorly to EQing, using 2 EQs it works a little better than using one with greater boosted values. Just by looking at it you'd think like What how can that sound great, but it does! This EQ is so strange though, no other EQ's I've used so far has been able to make the headphones sound so natural with the EQ tweaks like a natural extension of the headphone's sound, other EQs usually color the frequencies so it'll start sounding artificial but this one doesn't why I don't know how I will be able to let go off this Audigy 2 ZS.

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #897 of 2,849
Okay... i'm impressed. These sound great. I was expecting the mid bass to be very muddy coming from all of the talk about how bass heavy these phones are, but there is non of that. bass is well defined and highs are recessed. Btw these are out of the box impressions( i've literally used these for like 10 mins). Can't wait for the burn in to finish. 

It might just be the fact that is has not burned in yet but i don't think this will ever compare to my properly fed hd650's like ever.

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #898 of 2,849

Quote:
Okay... i'm impressed. These sound great. I was expecting the mid bass to be very muddy coming from all of the talk about how bass heavy these phones are, but there is non of that. bass is well defined and highs are recessed. Btw these are out of the box impressions( i've literally used these for like 10 mins). Can't wait for the burn in to finish. 

It might just be the fact that is has not burned in yet but i don't think this will ever compare to my properly fed hd650's like ever.

You guys see a trend here?..If you burn them from now till tomorrow you should hear the difference in what burning does. Glad you got them. .Let them burn my friend. Burn away. Just prepare yourself for the This is me by the way.. Lol!! No it ain't .. Or the or the Well Carrot top just turns into a freak but you get the idea.

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #899 of 2,849
I've bought it :D
The shipping was more expensive than the headphone itself...
Now I just have to wait one, two or three months to receive it (our postal service is a crap).

Dsnuts and RPGWiZaRD, are mods really necessary? If so, what are the best mods in your opinion? (let's not talk about Beyer velour pads, it's impossible to me to buy it).

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #900 of 2,849

Quote:
I've bought it :D
The shipping was more expensive than the headphone itself...
Now I just have to wait one, two or three months to receive it (our postal service is a crap).

Dsnuts and RPGWiZaRD, are mods really necessary? If so, what are the best mods in your opinion? (let's not talk about Beyer velour pads, it's impossible to me to buy it).

One or two months?? Seriously? You are making a joke... I use mine without mods for the moment. I think they sound fine without them and another thing for the guys that want even more full mids and maybe even more bass.. You can always try eQing.  I make it seem like the velours are 100% necessity. That is not the case. There are some guys that actually prefer the sounds without the velours after getting them.. So no worries.  I would just enjoy them after burn..Let us know your impressions on them once you get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back