The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Sep 30, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #331 of 2,849
WOAH, WOAH! Hype overload! Okay so D2000 has a little better imaging? Well imaging/sound stage is the most important headphone criteria for me, but since the difference is small in this category and equal in all else, these headphones should be fine based on what you say.

As far as BRANDwagon hoping - yeah, I definitely felt that when buying the audio technica m50's, which I returned after I gave it a good burn in. Their only real good trait as far as I recall was good or great bass and treble extension, but an extremely closed, suffocating experience and I don't recall being impressed by the mids either. Shouldn't have such unanimous praise as it does, though it is a good headphone. The denon d2000's though - these are  the most agreed upon best closed all-around headphones under 350.

I might have to cancel my Denon D2000 headphone order after trying these Panasonic headphones. Was going to get the D2000 and the DT770 80 ohms and return/sell one and keep the other. Could give up on the whole plan though now.

That's exactly what I thought too about the D2000's - an upgraded M50. That's why I've owned it twice - once to see how it was, and twice to try to convince myself that the $230 that I spent on it was worth it. I even followed Headroom's take on it and other highly regarded sites, praising that it was the end-all of closed-backs. I personally didn't like the soundstage of the Denon's - it is not 3D feeling at all. It is more akin to a slightly stretched 2D field, from side to side, but when combined with the fantastic imaging however, it sounds more cohesive than it is. This was brutally brought out when trying to own peeps in Modern Warfare 2. I couldn't even detect enemies coming from the rear and also from the rear-sides. Movies were great with aforementioned imaging and the punchy, thick bass. But without a 3D-like soundstage, I can't see myself in the movie, which was a big letdown for me.

The imaging still is the best I've heard in the Denon, the soundstage though is just a touch bigger than the M50's, yet, guess what, the M50's soundstage sounds more 3D than the Denon. Sounds bizarre, but if you let your Denon order go through, I would like to hear your thoughts - whether they mirror or oppose mine, I'm eager to hear them. You might be surprised.

This isn't hype either. I still love and mainly listen to music off my DT990. The Panasonic do give a visceral experience when it concerns music, but I still prefer my 990's. But for games/movies, the Panny's actually win do to it having a more authoritative sound with more forward mids, and crunchy, plentiful bass notes alongside a completely 3D soundstage that has "air" between the different sounds, with or without the velours. Yet, it still sounds great on music too. Who knows, you might prefer the Beyers or the Denons, or something else to suit your needs. However I've owned them all, and am mentioning this without the object of money involved. It just so happens that the Panny's are significantly cheaper than those others, and that is a HUGE benefit. In other words, if the Panny's cost me as much (or more) as the D2000's, and I listened to both back to back, the Denon's would have been put back in it's cardboard cage, then sent back all on it's lonely. The 600's just found a warm home to reside in.

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #332 of 2,849
*edit post* nvm, just some thoughts that amount to nothing

Ya, I'll let everyone know what I think about the headphones when I get them. 

And sorry, to the above poster, I didn't mean you hyped the headphones as in overpromoted them. I just meant you raised expectations really high, and I'm sure not without good reason. I appreciate your input. I just hope the sound stage, while you attest it is quite "3D", is big enough, because I'm seeking a "live" and grand-scale sound in a lot of my music. Again, we'll see how it goes.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #333 of 2,849

And sorry, to the above poster, I didn't mean you hyped the headphones as in overpromoted them. I just meant you raised expectations really high, and I'm sure not without good reason. I appreciate your input. I just hope the sound stage, while you attest it is quite "3D", is big enough, because I'm seeking a "live" and grand-scale sound in a lot of my music. Again, we'll see how it goes.

Well there are plenty of bigger wider sound staging headphones out there. I own many that have wider stage.. But I noticed with wider stage there is usually something else lacking.. For exe.. the AD700. One of the widest sound stage in existence and yet the bass is so limp it makes for a weak gaming and movie experience. My Samson SR850 has a very wide stage but the highs are sibilant and the bass not as dynamic as the Panasonics.. The stage of the Panasonic is about mid wide I would say as compared to others...

Ample and not suffocating like the M50s. Wider than the kickers but it does have complete smooth highs.. Good solid defined mids and probably the best part about the Panasonics. The Bass.. You say you are a fan of sub bass. Wait till you hear the sub bass on these... It surprised me the most.. Not just sub bass but the low end department on the Panasonics is one that I find many if not most of my headphones are lacking.

For the price payed these with or without velours are nothing like the price would indicate..Now these aren't for everyone as we all have different taste in what we like in sound but..If you are a fan of good clean warm bass that extend low and once you hear how them low notes are portrayed with authority while not lacking in anything else in the sounds. That is when it throws a big smile on your face...As G. Karl mentioned I encourage everyone to try movies and games with these.. They just might become your go to headphones for this as well....

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #334 of 2,849
Do not judge them by how they sound out of the box!  They will require burn in.

At the end of the day, these are $30 headphones, never expect miracles.  I was impressed by these cans, especially for their price.  There is life to the soundstage, nothing staggering but definately better than your typical closed can.  I've listened to some live electronica (specifically Daft Punk's Live concerts) and been impressed with how well they performed.
Quote:

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #335 of 2,849
Mak2675, I'm no expert but I've been listening to live recordings (concert stuff) within maybe 3-6hours out of the box and without an amp and I've got to say, they sound very good to me. Not congested at all and for the lack of a better word- "immersing", kind of feels like you're there if that is what you're looking for. I don't even use eq because I'm very sensitive to mids and high frequencies (i get hurt easy lol) and yes the mids don't sound recessed at all; highs are on the harsh side out of the box. But I've listened to a recording of concerto de aranjuez a bunch of times with these and it is such a treat - all that lovely guitar. good luck with yours!

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #336 of 2,849
I've given up on these and put them onto the bookshelf for now after giving them enough head time. They are excellent headphones for the price if you like a warm, bassy, immersive/fun sound but I can't help it that my XB500 does this even to a slightly better degree, opposed to what some others say here I think XB500 with slight EQ adjustments does a better job at a forward/engaging/fun sound, especially in dynamicness (I think this is one of of it's weaknesses), Panasonics sounds relatively "lean" to my ear and then I'm not relating to the recessesion in the mids and highs compared to bass, if XB500 is more like a live recording HTF600 is more like a studio recording (peaks and such removed for a more "clean" mastering of a track but at the same time it removes the engaging/fun factor to me). There's a bunch of headphones that do sound much less dynamic for sure (neutral/balanced cans mostly, SRH440 and such) but based on what I read of them I was expecting a much more dynamic sounding headphone though. That and the slight recession in the upper mids especially as well as a very slight lack of bass punch for my taste.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #337 of 2,849
I'm loving these 600's.  Different strokes for different folks i guess.  Didn't know I could get this quality for this cheap.  The only thing that bothers me is the sweaty ears with pleather, but once I get the velours, think these will be great.

I find these hard to beat for gaming, movies, and music.  Is there any other circumaural with velour that is better for under $150 as an all-rounder?  Just wondering what there is to upgrade to.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #338 of 2,849
Just received mine.....burning in as we speak.

I won't listen to them or at least won't make any judgement until I get 36 HRS + on them.....wheres the Dubstep?

My initial impression....

The build quality on the JVC HARX cans is much better.....although this is totally acceptable for a pair of $30 cans.....I just the JVC build quality is much better than the price they're selling at.

I consider these a pair of mid size cans even though they have 50 MM drivers and the cups cover the ears completely.....they're just not HUGE like my JVC HARX and Audio Technica ATH-A700 and AD700 cans.

They're very light so I can see myself wearing these for hours without discomfort.....but not until the weather gets cooler.

The box smells interesting when you open it......some chemicals I haven't smelled before.....GO CHINA!!!!!

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #339 of 2,849

Quote:
I was really satisfied with my rx700 headphones, I personally preferred them over both the monoprice and m50 headphones I had before which i returned due to lack of soundstage compared to the jvcs.

As much as I like the rx700s, I now feel i need to upgrade because they lack the subbass I desire and focus too much on midbass - but i still want the same or greater soundstage.

I can't compare to the Beyers or Denons, but look a few pages back in this thread and you'll see my direct comparison of the RX700 vs. the Pannys (which seems to me a much more sane comparison than some of the ones being done in this thread). If you want the same soundstage or greater, you probably won't find it with the Panasonics. I don't feel like they are a great improvement in sub-bass performance either. They are both good phones, but based on what you're saying the 600s will be mostly a step backwards for your particular needs.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #340 of 2,849

Quote:
I can't compare to the Beyers or Denons, but look a few pages back in this thread and you'll see my direct comparison of the RX700 vs. the Pannys (which seems to me a much more sane comparison than some of the ones being done in this thread). If you want the same soundstage or greater, you probably won't find it with the Panasonics. I don't feel like they are a great improvement in sub-bass performance either. They are both good phones, but based on what you're saying the 600s will be mostly a step backwards for your particular needs.

That's what I'm expecting.......but J & R is taking weeks to ship out the Denons (backordered, but for so long!), and the Beyerdynamic Ebay store is taking weeks to post up some more DT770 80 ohm headphones......so I'm taking these headphones to tide me over until either of those arrive. And who knows, maybe I'll be satisfied with these.

Worst case scenario: fun experiment, resell or return with minor loss
Best case scenario: $$$ saved big time.

Btw, these headphones are 56 ohms impedance, so I think they should benefit from an amp. The RX700 cans don't seem to benefit much from an amp from what I hear, and when I plugged both them and the Sony MDR-V6's into my Denon home receiver, I found the latter clearly has it beat IMO (rx700 sound hardly changed, V6's improved I felt significantly but I only did 1 trial), but off my laptop they are both equal. So maybe the reason the RX700's run better for you is perhaps they are running more efficiently in your setup, assuming you have a weak source.

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #341 of 2,849
I received my Panasonic headphones earlier today and I am REALLY REALLY impressed with them. $30 ($50 with velour pads) for these headphones?! !@#$ing brilliant.. Bravo for Panasonic!

EDIT: Nevermind I managed to squeeze on the velour pads. You need to apply a small amount of force to stretch the velour pads to fit. Nothing crazy, but was frustrating at first.

There is definitely a noticeable increase in comfort!

Here's a quick unboxing video I made:

Enjoyyy~! Please feel free to view the other videos 
tongue.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #342 of 2,849
Nice tune on the video. Very nice. glad you are enjoying your new HPs.. The tune in the video I was just listening to that on My HTF600-S. Perfect sample of what the phone can do sound wise.. Great un boxing indeed. Burn those in!!

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #343 of 2,849
Just received mine.

Pre Burn in: First impressions (30 minutes into listening into it)

Right out of the box, 10 minutes into playing it: I am quite satisfied. These actually have good mids unlike some other AT headphone I once had. Soundtrack music is epic, acoustic guitars are alive, and I like vocals too (not the best judge of vocals though). I like the mids the most.

They have very smooth highs - you can actually turn them up and they don't bother.. Let's see what's up in these frequencies? Percussions I can't judge, but I do like the distorted guitars. The treble, however, is not "sparkly", but a bit rolled off, which I like.

The resolution and details are remarkable for the price.

Ironically, the biggest problem I'm having is with the bass, but I'm only 10 minutes into it. The sub-bass is not as deep as I'd like. I felt the MDR-V6's go deeper. Edit: as I'm typing this, 15 minutes into listening to it, I'm already feeling the subbass growing. Okay, so I doubt this will be a problem after burn in. Also, the bass is a bit bloated so far.

And the soundstage: believe it or not I like it just as much as the RX700s. It is not quite as big - I'd describe RX700's soundstage as large, but this is a good size, bigger than the Sony MDR-V6 or Monoprice headphones I've had. However, it is a very convincing soundstage, so it really makes the music feel live.

They don't respond well to EQing as well as my other headphones on winamp+enhancer.

They leak like a baby that has to go pee.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #344 of 2,849
Oh yea. .You bet the Bass improves once you burn those in. Even a good 24 hours and those should thump.. I do recommend at least 40 to complete. But once those drivers punch out that's when they shine..I think even after around 3 hours they should start to fill out a bit... Glad you guys like em.. I am using them with my velours for BF3 Beta.. Fantastic for games..! Throw your best EDM, Trance, DUB and get on it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back