The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Sep 26, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #286 of 2,849
I've placed an order for the HTF600E-S after looking for a bassier pair of headphones. Was looking to get a pair of ultrasone's but for the price of £30 I couldn't resist. Would any know if my little V1 vivid portable amp has good synergy with these?

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #287 of 2,849

Quote:
I've placed an order for the HTF600E-S after looking for a bassier pair of headphones. Was looking to get a pair of ultrasone's but for the price of £30 I couldn't resist. Would any know if my little V1 vivid portable amp has good synergy with these?

Heya,

I have the Vivid V1 Tech as well. It works great. But that amp is absolute overkill for that headphone. It will help in the lowest bass to control a tad more, but ultimately you don't need an amp for this headphone. But it never hurts to amp it if you got it.

Very best,

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #288 of 2,849

Quote:
Heya,

I have the Vivid V1 Tech as well. It works great. But that amp is absolute overkill for that headphone. It will help in the lowest bass to control a tad more, but ultimately you don't need an amp for this headphone. But it never hurts to amp it if you got it.

Oh yes....my cute little JVC HAFX34 buds open up nice when giving them a little extra juice.....with response down to 20 HZ and highs as clear as a bell.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #289 of 2,849
My HTFs are on their way to their next owner. I got a chance to compare them to a pair of new-to-me JVC HA-RX700s briefly this morning before I shipped them out. The RX700s definitely beat the pants off the RX500s. They are also the closest phone I currently have to the HTF's sonic signature, and they are quite close in terms of current going price.

Brief synopsis:

RX700:
- Seems fuller / bigger / fatter than the HTFs in the 40-60Hz region, but not quite as happy way down in the 30s as the HTFs; so, depending on what you're listening to, sounds either bassier *or* thinner than the HTFs
- Smoother integration of bass register with low mids
- Slightly recessed / scooped compared to the HTFs in the ~2000-4000Hz range; voice seems SLIGHTLY subdued by comparison on SOME recordings
- Markedly better ultra-high response (but still not a bright phone)
- Snare drums are punchier, cymbals are crisper - noticeably, but not exactly leaps and bounds
- Soundstage is markedly wider
- Slightly harder to push
- Much more revealing of bad encoding; still quite forgiving of bad recordings (maybe more so than the HTFs, actually, as borne out by some old indie-rock album tests)
- Closed can; no leaky-leaky.

HTF600:
- Better response in the almost-lowest recessses of bassland than the RX700
- Slightly richer low mids
- Slightly less punch with percussion and transients
- Boxier, flatter soundstage
- Upper mids sound just a tad "honky" / "plasticky" in side-by-side comparison to the 700s
- Sounds better with badly-encoded / -compressed sources

Fashionistas would probably be happier with the HTF in public due to its smaller on-head / on-ear profile-- although their neighbors on the train or plane definitely would be happier with the totally-closed RX700s.

Tough call at the current price for the HTFs... they are similar-sounding cans to my ear in a lot of ways. I would not use either one for mission-critical monitoring, but they're both pretty fun phones to listen to.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #292 of 2,849
Well I have been playing the BF3 beta using my HTF600. I can safely say these headphone are completely solid for gaming even at a competition level. The 3D directional sound in game is top stuff.

One thing I noticed with the velour pads. I don't think the sound stage opens up in music but in games for some odd reason I think the added air that velour pads add makes the sound stage seem more spacious. Almost open like. This adds to the immersion..

Fantastic for gaming...I haven't had need to go to my Samson SR850 at all. Amazing.

@ jailhouselunge good to hear you are enjoying your new cans. Blast them Bass heavy tunes. Now you know what all the fuss was about.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #293 of 2,849
Received mine on Tuesday.  I'll just say this, I've been enjoying them so much I forgot to post my review like I promised Dsnuts LOL.  I'll just copy and paste what I posted in another thread:

"My set-up consists of a X Fi Titanium Fatality Professional for PC Gaming, an EarForce DSS Dolby Headphone Processor for 360/PS3, and an Ipad and Iphone with mostly 256 and 320kbs mp3s.  At the recommendation of MalVeauX and Dsnuts I purchased the SR850s about 2 weeks ago, and received my HTF600s today.

In my short time with the 600s, I can tell you that they are definitely smoother than the 850s while the 850s are more crisp. The 600s have the edge in bass and I'm sure it will be an even bigger gap with burn in. The 850s have the wider sound stage.

At the moment I prefer the 600s by a great deal for music. The 850s can be harsh with the highs at times when it comes to music. The 600s are just so smooth and balanced with all genres of music I've thrown at it. It can pump the bass when the hip hop tracks call for it, or it can give you the mellow sounds of a violin when listening to an orchestra. MalVeauX and Dsnuts weren't lying when they said this set of cans sound much bigger than their price. I could easily see these going for $150+.

The 850s are the better gaming headphones. The highs aren't harsh at all in games when using my soundcard and dolby headphone processor. The wide sound stage is definitely noticeable and it really delivers an unmatched crispness/detail to games that hasn't been matched by anything I've heard. Another plus is the 850s pack enough bass so you won't feel like you're lacking when you want to feel the explosions. The 600s however do hold their own when it comes to gaming. Some will prefer it because of it's emphatic bass and warmer sound."

I posted this yesterday.  I've probably listened to the 600s another 6 or so hours since then.  The sound is definitely improving.  Bass is becoming thicker.  Much as I hate to admit it, this is a much better sounding headphone than my Beats by Dre Studio (Easy, only paid $150 for them LOL) and it completely blows my Senns HD555s away in everything.

I'll close with this, the 600s will make you feel bad that you spent $150 on most any set of cans.  Shout out to Dsnuts and MalVeaux on the recommendation!

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #295 of 2,849
Nice... Maukey you now have the best one two punch for music and games for the price. To put things in perspective you can get a Samson SR850 and a Panasonic HTF600 for $80?..

2 great cans for the cost of one decent mid fi can?.. It is funny but even now when I suggest the Panasonic HTF600 for guys that want a bassy music can.. People completely ignore my suggestion. I mean why or how can a $30 Can , compete with the likes of a M50 or anything else that is well known.

I think people are afraid to try something unheard of or new. That was the case for the Kickers and as well for the HTF600. All you guys that now have them now you know. And don't hesitate to recommend them to others.. I mean for the price how can you not recommend them. Yet folks will look at it as a awkward suggestion than anything and then go on and suggest the usual suspects. I don't know about you guys but I listen to my Panasonics on a regular basis and I think it will be like that for a while haha. A great can is a great can.. Happy listening fellas.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #296 of 2,849

Well, I might get the velours later on. I need a cheap / decent portable amp first lol fiio e7 or e11 ... thanks guys

I have the e11. It makes my little Sony walkman throw out them bass notes that vibrate your ears. great little amp. It sounds more like a desktop rig more than a portable one and that is what you want..There is a vendor that sells it with an extra battery and charger for the $65 and shipping vs the $65 and free shipping on Amazon.. IT is worth it to get the extra battery for the shipping cost which is an extra $4 or so. One charge and it last the whole week it seems.

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #297 of 2,849

Quote:
Well I have been playing the BF3 beta using my HTF600. I can safely say these headphone are completely solid for gaming even at a competition level. The 3D directional sound in game is top stuff.
One thing I noticed with the velour pads. I don't think the sound stage opens up in music but in games for some odd reason I think the added air that velour pads add makes the sound stage seem more spacious. Almost open like. This adds to the immersion..
Fantastic for gaming...I haven't had need to go to my Samson SR850 at all. Amazing.
@ jailhouselunge good to hear you are enjoying your new cans. Blast them Bass heavy tunes. Now you know what all the fuss was about.

I've had the beta since the 27th and haven't had a chance to play it yet.  Can't wait to try it.

One thing you said that really got my attention is that you have been gaming on your 600s and not your 850s.  Now when I compared the two I felt that the 850s were more detailed, crisp, and had a wider sound stage.  The bass in games between the two were fairly close.  Now this was all before about a total of 12 hours of burn in now.  So I guess I'm wondering, should I retest this?  Maybe I really need to get the velour pads.  I got about 4 hours to order them off amazon and get them by tomorrow to enjoy them for the weekend.  What's your opinion on this now with more time with them?

Quote:
Nice... Maukey you now have the best one two punch for music and games for the price. To put things in perspective you can get a Samson SR850 and a Panasonic HTF600 for $80?..
2 great cans for the cost of one decent mid fi can?.. It is funny but even now when I suggest the Panasonic HTF600 for guys that want a bassy music can.. People completely ignore my suggestion. I mean why or how can a $30 Can , compete with the likes of a M50 or anything else that is well known.
I think people are afraid to try something unheard of or new. That was the case for the Kickers and as well for the HTF600. All you guys that now have them now you know. And don't hesitate to recommend them to others.. I mean for the price how can you not recommend them. Yet folks will look at it as a awkward suggestion than anything and then go on and suggest the usual suspects. I don't know about you guys but I listen to my Panasonics on a regular basis and I think it will be like that for a while haha. A great can is a great can.. Happy listening fellas.

I agree!  I really appreciate the suggestion and you can believe that I have already let a couple of people listen to them at my job and all they can say is wow LOL.

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #298 of 2,849
Well the velour pads adds not only to the comfort level of the HTF600 but adds a bit more detail to the sounds.. .In games I still think the SR850 has the edge over the Panasonics but the velours seem to add extra air to the sounds and it almost seems to be a more open sound now which was unexpected but welcomed after effect of the velours.. Now is it something you absolutely need? Probably not.. Especially since you already own the best headphone for gaming the SR850. However, now that I do have the velour pads on mine. I don't know if I would ever put my older pleather pads back on the phones.. I can have them on for hours and hours and sometimes I forget they are on. They also add to the way they look too. They look so much more expensive over the overall cost of the whole thing which is $50..

You have a great can in the HTF600.. Now do you want the Uber edition. That is what I would call it. The Uber edtion. lol!! I should send pics to Panasonic to have them be manufactured this way.. They already have velours on their HTF890.. I would pay the extra for this comfort and a bit more sound refinement. Call it the Panasonic HTF600-SVU.. Special Velour Unit. haha..

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #299 of 2,849

Quote:
Well the velour pads adds not only to the comfort level of the HTF600 but adds a bit more detail to the sounds.. .In games I still think the SR850 has the edge over the Panasonics but the velours seem to add extra air to the sounds and it almost seems to be a more open sound now which was unexpected but welcomed after effect of the velours.. Now is it something you absolutely need? Probably not.. Especially since you already own the best headphone for gaming the SR850. However, now that I do have the velour pads on mine. I don't know if I would ever put my older pleather pads back on the phones.. I can have them on for hours and hours and sometimes I forget they are on. They also add to the way they look too. They look so much more expensive over the overall cost of the whole thing which is $50..
You have a great can in the HTF600.. Now do you want the Uber edition. That is what I would call it. The Uber edtion. lol!! I should send pics to Panasonic to have them be manufactured this way.. They already have velours on their HTF890.. I would pay the extra for this comfort and a bit more sound refinement. Call it the Panasonic HTF600-SVU.. Special Velour Unit. haha..

Okay great.  You just saved me $37.  I was sure going to pay for the overnight shipping to get the velours for the weekend LOL.  Sounds more like a just get them when you can deal correct?

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #300 of 2,849
Not a complete necessity.. Maybe something to look into later on.. I enjoyed the HTF600s the way they were and even more so now... Oh by the way I did end up getting the 40mm smaller version the RP-HT360.. Unfortunately these can not compete with the big brother HTF600. They are ok for the price @ $20 and have a very similar sound signature but they don't even come close to the Bass of the HTF600 or the refinement in the over all sound signature.. I suppose I was looking for another surprise from them but nope they are priced right at $20 and nothing more.. For $10 or so more you get the HTF600.. Which sound way more than the cost vs the HT360.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back