The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
May 3, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #2,821 of 2,849

Did it change the sound at all?

Not significantly. Maybe a tad more air and soundstage and a little less bass. These are positive changes IMO. Regardless, the increased comfort is worth it to me whether the changes are perceived as beneficial or not.

May 6, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #2,826 of 2,849
Got the HM5's installed.

WOW  super comfy.

I did remove the stock foam "ring" that covered the drivers since the HM5 had a lining cover and the stock did not.

Bass did not suffer at all.
Treble with the stock ring and the HM5 liner was a bit too squelched for me
Removing the foam reopened the treble again.

THANK YOU to JohnnyAppleseed and crash88 for their advice and help

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #2,827 of 2,849
Hey guys,

I'm reviving this thread a bit to update you all with some mods I've done to my HTF600. I cut out the left/right badges on each cup, dampened the inside of the cup with adhesive felt, put dynamat on the back of the driver and the inside of the cup (where the driver is glued in), added velour HM5 pads, put a copper grill in the new left/right cavities, and put a tiny bit of fiber filling over the driver.

WOW! These are definitely a different sounding headphone now! The soundstage is now quite large, bass is more extended is less impact, but also more controlled. The treble is more airy with mote sparkle, thought a tiny bit harsher (will have to experiment with damping). The midrange is still quite present and doesn't sound that congested anymore.

The headphone in it's stock for is ok, but not great, and at it's price of $30 it's quite abysmal. Fully modded like this it's quite different. It's brighter, more lively. The bass was my issue with the stock form. it was muddy and too strong. The bass impact was lessened and the bass is now tighter and more controlled by quite a bit.

By no means if this headphones now worth $100, it's still low-fi by all standards. I'd say it's more in the $40 range now, but is quite good for the $25 I dropped on it a few years back. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #2,828 of 2,849
  Hey guys,

I'm reviving this thread a bit to update you all with some mods I've done to my HTF600. I cut out the left/right badges on each cup, dampened the inside of the cup with adhesive felt, put dynamat on the back of the driver and the inside of the cup (where the driver is glued in), added velour HM5 pads, put a copper grill in the new left/right cavities, and put a tiny bit of fiber filling over the driver.

WOW! These are definitely a different sounding headphone now! The soundstage is now quite large, bass is more extended is less impact, but also more controlled. The treble is more airy with mote sparkle, thought a tiny bit harsher (will have to experiment with damping). The midrange is still quite present and doesn't sound that congested anymore.

The headphone in it's stock for is ok, but not great, and at it's price of $30 it's quite abysmal. Fully modded like this it's quite different. It's brighter, more lively. The bass was my issue with the stock form. it was muddy and too strong. The bass impact was lessened and the bass is now tighter and more controlled by quite a bit.

By no means if this headphones now worth $100, it's still low-fi by all standards. I'd say it's more in the $40 range now, but is quite good for the $25 I dropped on it a few years back. 

Nice, Any chance of some pics inside the cups?

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #2,829 of 2,849
They seem to have another name in Japan: RP-HT560 
some japanese guy made measurements on them and listed them as one of his favourite (usually our taste seem to match). so i'm gonna try these headphones. for 35-40 euros... you can't lose much.

here the frequency response and some other measurements.  

http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/rp-ht560.html

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #2,830 of 2,849
I'll post pictures of the internal in the near future, but I don't know when.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #2,831 of 2,849
Hey all,

Sorry I'm reviving this thread but i just had to thank everyone who recommended these headphones here! I've had mine for approx 24 hours now haaha and I really like them... every hour I listen, the better they get (thanks to burn in!)

From the box, I really hated them actually... felt like no bass, the sound just felt plasticy lol but after I switched the stock pads with my old beat up velour pads (I think they're Beyers), it was so much better. Hours later, it got even better! Today, I received my Brainwavz velour/pleather hybrid deep ear pads and OMG so softtttt!!!! They definitely complement these headphones. The difference between the Brainwavz and Beyers is obviously the fact that the BZs are hybrid material, but their depth kind of help keep the soundstage wide versus closing it oh so slightly with the beyers.

Link to ear pads (USA)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZGGG3KY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Link to headphones (USA)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MMEI8W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I found the Panny's for $25 and the Brainwavz earpads for $25 on Amazon, so it would've cost approx $53 dollars. BUT I'm the needy and impatient type of buyer, so I paid $72 in total for one day and two day shipping.

My only complaint so far is that on some songs, the bass sounds warbly/unclear and on other songs that have a lot going on with several instruments at a time, it sounds messy. But I'm sure this will get better. I also wish the bass were much tighter and deeper, but I'm satisfied. I've been listening to tons of music of varying qualities (Apple Lossless to 192 mp3) and various genres (90s hip hop, mainstream hip hop, house, jazz, bachata, and a few of the links you all have posted here). I've also been doing random bass tests as well and I think the lowest it goes is around 28hz.

For reference I'm listening to music out of a 2010 Macbook Pro and my Fiio X1. I have no other equipment. I have no EQ.

I read 72 pages on this thread... haha I was so happy about my purchase, I had to make sure I got a great deal. I'm gonna keep reading until I finish this thread! I'm on the fence about trying the more invasive mods, and I am interested in doing the Foobar enhancement but I have no knowledge on that stuff... lol

I'll be back to write my impressions next week (well, next year :p) , when I know I'll definitely have 50+ hours in!!!

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,832 of 2,849
Any1 tried Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam Earpad on pennys?  http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY
Are they too big and deep? or should I get Angled Memory Foam http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452090067&sr=1-4&keywords=brainwavz+earpads

nevermind. didn't see the last post. any update?

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #2,833 of 2,849
  nevermind. didn't see the last post. any update?

Hey Don,

Yes, I really enjoy them now. A few days ago the sound started to irritate me and I didn't like them at all. But from yesterday, the sound seems to have rounded out well. I'm really enjoying these VERY much!

I continued to listen to those same genres and the same songs to see if there was a change, and it seems to have been one. At one point I found myself using the eq RPGWiZarD created for someone in their iTunes. I kept A/Bing with eq off and then with eq on almost everyday and now I don't even need the eq on either device. (I used eq on the Mac more for some reason).

I also went outside with the headphones a few times, and although I had a hoodie on, it was very comfortable and believe it or not - I really appreciate having them semi-open. I live in a rough environment and being able to hear what's going on around me while listening to music made me feel "safer". On my X1 I have the default volume at 40. I was able to listen at this level to jazz and it was crystal clear. I mean, I could have turned it up to 45, but I found it was a good level. The music wasn't loud so I'm sure no one around me was able to hear it. I also wore them in a laundromat and didn't feel irritated by hearing the machines and people talking. I'm really surprised I'm saying I like hearing my environment, haha.

I A/B'ed the HM5 hybrid ear pads with the stock pads and the HM5 are IMMACULATE compared to stock, in my opinion. I feel the bass and sub bass goes deeper, it's tighter, and it isolates a tiny bit more. Plus the comfort is wonderful. I wear glasses and these are the first headphones/ear pads I've worn that give me comfort for hours. The only "negative" is that they make the headphones stick out on your head a little more, and you'd also have to use a lint roller on the velour part if you want to keep them looking like new.

I think the time I didn't like them was due to me looking on here again and wishing I had the Audio Technica WS99 lol. I'm so mad at myself for looking because I'm gonna fiend for them for months until I can afford them.
beyersmile.png

So, overall, I darn near love these headphones for what they are. I have not dropped them yet, I haven't had that driver problem yet, and I haven't seriously modded them and I don't think I will.

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #2,834 of 2,849
  Hey Don,

Yes, I really enjoy them now. A few days ago the sound started to irritate me and I didn't like them at all. But from yesterday, the sound seems to have rounded out well. I'm really enjoying these VERY much!

I continued to listen to those same genres and the same songs to see if there was a change, and it seems to have been one. At one point I found myself using the eq RPGWiZarD created for someone in their iTunes. I kept A/Bing with eq off and then with eq on almost everyday and now I don't even need the eq on either device. (I used eq on the Mac more for some reason).

I also went outside with the headphones a few times, and although I had a hoodie on, it was very comfortable and believe it or not - I really appreciate having them semi-open. I live in a rough environment and being able to hear what's going on around me while listening to music made me feel "safer". On my X1 I have the default volume at 40. I was able to listen at this level to jazz and it was crystal clear. I mean, I could have turned it up to 45, but I found it was a good level. The music wasn't loud so I'm sure no one around me was able to hear it. I also wore them in a laundromat and didn't feel irritated by hearing the machines and people talking. I'm really surprised I'm saying I like hearing my environment, haha.

I A/B'ed the HM5 hybrid ear pads with the stock pads and the HM5 are IMMACULATE compared to stock, in my opinion. I feel the bass and sub bass goes deeper, it's tighter, and it isolates a tiny bit more. Plus the comfort is wonderful. I wear glasses and these are the first headphones/ear pads I've worn that give me comfort for hours. The only "negative" is that they make the headphones stick out on your head a little more, and you'd also have to use a lint roller on the velour part if you want to keep them looking like new.

I think the time I didn't like them was due to me looking on here again and wishing I had the Audio Technica WS99 lol. I'm so mad at myself for looking because I'm gonna fiend for them for months until I can afford them.
beyersmile.png

So, overall, I darn near love these headphones for what they are. I have not dropped them yet, I haven't had that driver problem yet, and I haven't seriously modded them and I don't think I will.

Thanx man. I was gonna order them on monday but they were out of stock. I'll order them next week. Yeah I got Takstar HI2050 last month but I'm not trilled with them. Soundwise and comfort. They are not fun like pennys are and they squeeze a little to tight on my jaw below the ear. I too wear glasses and they are thick plastic1 so stock pennys earpads are dented after year+ or so. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #2,835 of 2,849
Last night, I removed the foam/felt that is on top of the drivers.

For the first 4 seconds, I regretted it.

Then, after going through a few different songs of varying genres, I realized this might have been a great choice! I guess I got used to the muddy mid bass... but when I removed the foam, the mids and highs are definitely a bit more clear, and the bass sounds a bit more controlled. As I listen to these for a few more days, I hope things get better from here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back