The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Sep 1, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #961 of 2,640
It does, just like the new Opeth! Agree - there's no such thing as too much Purple :L3000:

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #962 of 2,640
`

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #963 of 2,640
TONE was one of the biggest topics, and I learned to listen to recordings differently, paying attention to the effect/amps/strings and how the whole thing comes together.

So,when you listen to this and hear that tone,what is that theyre doing that separates them from others in this genre? And what would attribute the tone to? Is it more of a pedal thing,or is it an amp thing,or a special voodoo sauce combo thang?

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #964 of 2,640
@Fastnbulbous mentioned this release previously,and he's correct....good proto metal stuff

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #965 of 2,640
So,when you listen to this and hear that tone,what is that theyre doing that separates them from others in this genre? And what would attribute the tone to? Is it more of a pedal thing,or is it an amp thing,or a special voodoo sauce combo thang?
Oh, it' a special voodoo sauce thing.

I'm actually working on my Blog, hoping to get to this point I'd like to make about the music we listen to. A signature "tone" is an absolute work of art, a work of love, and mostly a lot of painful, repetitive, f-ing work. The greats all have a signature sound, from Leslie West, Eddie Van Halen, to the young kids in Wolftooth. It's a magic elixir of strings, pickups, amps, pedals, and constant fiddling of settings to get it just 'right'.

I don't care what band you listen to: the bassist and guitarist have put countless hours into their craft. It doesn't just 'happen', and it's also not entirely the result of the engineer/producer, at least not for genres I love best.

DWOOM has an extremely unique sound. I suspect the guitarist may have an oscillating circuit going on to give that distinctive "ROAR" and bite to his sound. It comes across as live, and it has more of a Matamp vibe to it than a standard Marshall. But I could be totally wrong about it, and it might end up just being a common Boss pedal. How it's done is one thing, and no guitarist I know of discloses the secret sauce. That tone from ZZ Top that is so recognizable in about a half second? That's some primo confidential information.

I'm a totally unknown bass player who hasn't been in a studio in about 34 years, and my humble rig has about 2 grand into effects/delays/synths/flange/compression/fuzz/dirt etc etc etc. That doesn't even count the amp(s). Not bad for a hobbyist, or then again, totally insane. Not all of use can be @bassboysam who has magic tone with his fingers... :)

Most guitarists have my stuff x 3. I know guys that spend a fortune modding their ax with all sorts of different pickups, electronics, custom fret work: just about anything you can think of.

So, those obscure bands we love? They've probably spent enough money to buy a BMW on their equipment, all for the honor of paying to play at some local club. It is absolutely, totally crazy. And I do my best to appreciate it! BTW, the new Dopelord is wall-to-wall tone and vibe. Totally different than Dwoom, but equally awesome...

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #966 of 2,640
In case you missed it,"Under Cover" from Motorhead dropped yesterday.
Some of the tracks have been released previously on other albums,so its more of a compilation album with some new stuff mixed in.

Def a bittersweet release for me....Im hoping the world wont be subjected to a crap ton of horrid posthumous releases,like what theyve done to Hendrix....

This CD is solid.

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #967 of 2,640
Oh, it' a special voodoo sauce thing.

I'm actually working on my Blog, hoping to get to this point I'd like to make about the music we listen to. A signature "tone" is an absolute work of art, a work of love, and mostly a lot of painful, repetitive, f-ing work. The greats all have a signature sound, from Leslie West, Eddie Van Halen, to the young kids in Wolftooth. It's a magic elixir of strings, pickups, amps, pedals, and constant fiddling of settings to get it just 'right'.

I don't care what band you listen to: the bassist and guitarist have put countless hours into their craft. It doesn't just 'happen', and it's also not entirely the result of the engineer/producer, at least not for genres I love best.

DWOOM has an extremely unique sound. I suspect the guitarist may have an oscillating circuit going on to give that distinctive "ROAR" and bite to his sound. It comes across as live, and it has more of a Matamp vibe to it than a standard Marshall. But I could be totally wrong about it, and it might end up just being a common Boss pedal. How it's done is one thing, and no guitarist I know of discloses the secret sauce. That tone from ZZ Top that is so recognizable in about a half second? That's some primo confidential information.

I'm a totally unknown bass player who hasn't been in a studio in about 34 years, and my humble rig has about 2 grand into effects/delays/synths/flange/compression/fuzz/dirt etc etc etc. That doesn't even count the amp(s). Not bad for a hobbyist, or then again, totally insane. Not all of use can be @bassboysam who has magic tone with his fingers... :)

Most guitarists have my stuff x 3. I know guys that spend a fortune modding their ax with all sorts of different pickups, electronics, custom fret work: just about anything you can think of.

So, those obscure bands we love? They've probably spent enough money to buy a BMW on their equipment, all for the honor of paying to play at some local club. It is absolutely, totally crazy. And I do my best to appreciate it! BTW, the new Dopelord is wall-to-wall tone and vibe. Totally different than Dwoom, but equally awesome...

i don't obssess over tone like i used to and certainly don't think i have any sort of signature sound. i just try to match the feel of the song and then try to be heard :)

the first 2 tracks on our last album are a good example. two tottaly different sounds. i have waay to much gear to stick to obe tone. i like changing it up. i rarely have more than one effect/pedal on at any one time while others use multiple pieces of gear at the same time to get a sound i use 1 at a time to get a variety of sounds. at the end of the day only bass players notice anyway :)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #968 of 2,640
i don't obssess over tone like i used to and certainly don't think i have any sort of signature sound. i just try to match the feel of the song and then try to be heard :)

the first 2 tracks on our last album are a good example. two tottaly different sounds. i have waay to much gear to stick to obe tone. i like changing it up. i rarely have more than one effect/pedal on at any one time while others use multiple pieces of gear at the same time to get a sound i use 1 at a time to get a variety of sounds. at the end of the day only bass players notice anyway :)
Sssshhh,

They're not supposed to know that! If they notice actual tone, The whole pop music industry is DOOMed...

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #969 of 2,640
i know it is head-fi but i have been doing more speaker listening these days than headphones. been selling lots of head fi and bass gear the last 3 weeks and today i bought a pair of mint Tannoy Ardens.

can't wait for them to get here

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #970 of 2,640
i know it is head-fi but i have been doing more speaker listening these days than headphones. been selling lots of head fi and bass gear the last 3 weeks and today i bought a pair of mint Tannoy Ardens.

Ooooh. Tannoy's were on my short list before I went with Ohm's.

Oh yeah... Did you plug into the board on "The Nacarat", or did you mic your amp?

FWIW, the reason I got into headphones was to be able to experience the micro-details of a recording. It's a totally different experience for me. Right now I'm about 70% speakers, 30% headphones. It's rare that I can just put 'cans on and just enjoy the music: I always end up analyzing the mix one way or another.

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #972 of 2,640

Those are some serious vintage speakers.
Someone is quite jealous!
Congrats!what amp are you going to use to drive them?

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #973 of 2,640
Those are some serious vintage speakers.
Someone is quite jealous!
Congrats!what amp are you going to use to drive them?

primal luna prologue 2.

had a pair of tannoy d80s from the 90s and they got me hooked on tannoy. then i heard a friend's vintage berkeleys (same driver as the arden but a smaller enclosure) and i knew those are my end of game speakers.

the x-over and treble controls are so useful on those old tannoys. you can make anything sound good

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #974 of 2,640
Doods. Doodettes. This is one of the best, if not THE best samplers I've ever downloaded. I would have paid $$$ for it, but it's free.

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #975 of 2,640
Discovered this last night...really like it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back