The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Aug 28, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #946 of 2,640
Sorry to hear about Ruby the Hatchet's robbery. It's so crappy that it constantly happen to these bands who are on a super tight budget -- they can't afford the security nor the insurance, so they're the ones most often preyed upon by scumbag thieves. If I had the time and more of an inclination for violence, I'd grow out a handlebar mustache and go stalk some of those MFers Dog the Bounty Hunter style.

Anyway, I received my Ruby The Hatchet CD on Friday, great band. There were literally at least 16 new albums worth checking out that came out Friday. Here's some of my favorite Rock/Metal ones:

Queens Of The Stone Age - Villains
Chris Forsyth & the Solar Motel Band - Dreaming In The Non-Dream
Ruby The Hatchet - Planetary Space Child
Dead Lord - In Ignorance We Trust
Blues Funeral - Awakening
Pagan Altar - Room Of Shadows
Howling Giant - Black Hole Space Wizard: Part 2
Portrait - Burn The World

Aug 28, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #947 of 2,640
Sorry to hear about Ruby the Hatchet's robbery. It's so ****ty that it constantly happen to these bands who are on a super tight budget -- they can't afford the security nor the insurance, so they're the ones most often preyed upon by scumbag thieves. If I had the time and more of an inclination for violence, I'd grow out a handlebar mustache and go stalk some of those MFers Dog the Bounty Hunter style.

Anyway, I received my Ruby The Hatchet CD on Friday, great band. There were literally at least 16 new albums worth checking out that came out Friday. Here's some of my favorite Rock/Metal ones:

Queens Of The Stone Age - Villains
Chris Forsyth & the Solar Motel Band - Dreaming In The Non-Dream
Ruby The Hatchet - Planetary Space Child
Dead Lord - In Ignorance We Trust
Blues Funeral - Awakening
Pagan Altar - Room Of Shadows
Howling Giant - Black Hole Space Wizard: Part 2
Portrait - Burn The World

NO kidding. For a wannabe blogger and fan of the genre, more Doom or at least doom albums were dropped last week than the entire genre catalog from 1971 (Master of Reality) to 1984 (Psalm 69). It is getting virtually impossible for a working man to keep up, and this months Doom Charts will probably be overwhelmed by all the releases. (Wolftooth will probably not be on it, but their eponymous EP should get a good listen...)

Killer review of the new QOTSA, BTW. I can't say it's their best, either, but it sure got the most immediate attention from me since Songs for the Deaf.

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #948 of 2,640
Yeah this thread turned me onto Ruby the Hatchet,and now theyre one of my favorite current bands...

If I'd remembered you were into that style of psych I'd have recommended them long ago! Do you have Ouroboros (2012) too? They definitely have progressed. The new one has gone in the direction I kind of imagined when I wrote about Valley Of The Snake a couple years back!

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #949 of 2,640
If I'd remembered you were into that style of psych I'd have recommended them long ago! Do you have Ouroboros (2012) too? They definitely have progressed. The new one has gone in the direction I kind of imagined when I wrote about Valley Of The Snake a couple years back!

I have the eponymous EP,Ouroboros,Aurum,Valley of the Snake and then the new one....They have so many good songs,but this is prolly my fav.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #950 of 2,640
A few years ago, I was totally focused on my bass playing, and even returned to semi-pro gig work for a while. I spent HOURS online in various forums, mostly the Stoner/Doom Bassists thread on Talkbass. TONE was one of the biggest topics, and I learned to listen to recordings differently, paying attention to the effect/amps/strings and how the whole thing comes together.

This EP was some of the most killer TONE I can think of. Makes me wonder if they can/do pull it off live..."

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #951 of 2,640
Oh, thank the gods for "Lock Horns."

I had no idea this was a real 'thing.' I mean, the whole concept of Folk Metal just seems, well, strange. And it is! But it's flipping awesome. I have a whole new world to explore. I mean, this is about as TRADITIONAL as it can get, and it's even sung in Gaulish!!!!!!!!!

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #952 of 2,640
Nothings says 'Traditional' and 'Metal' more than Himalayan throat singing... \m/

Wow. Just...wow.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #953 of 2,640
I like some folk metal too,though some of it I find a bit...as you said,strange.
Falkenbach is my favorite

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #954 of 2,640
Every year, it seems I respect this band more and more...

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #955 of 2,640
There's heavy... There's Doom...

And then there's So Much for the Sun.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #956 of 2,640
Sep 1, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #958 of 2,640
Gonna have to grab this

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #959 of 2,640
Sep 1, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #960 of 2,640
Love this! Bought on Bandcamp. As a Purple-head this is right in my wheelhouse.

Indeed,it does have a strong Deep Purple vibe to it....and theres no such thing as too much Deep Purple:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back