The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Jun 24, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #796 of 2,630
I guess at this point metal was going mainstream, and somewhat leaving me behind. For me, speed and "heavy" are for the most part diametrically opposed, with some exceptions.

Anyway, I did like most of this album from 1981, especially "Celebration"...

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #797 of 2,630
I had passed this over because Popoff, who rates Balls to the Wall as his #1 metal album of the 80s, gave this one a 3 in his Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal, which means he hated it with a white hot passion. Of course, his taste is quirky and highly unpredictable, so it's good to get a reality check from other people. Udo said they were searching for a direction on this album, trying out punk, ballads, commercial tracks, etc. I'd say they are pretty capable on most styles, but do think Breaker and Restless And Wild were big improvements. Nevertheless, totally worth hearing, thanks! I need to revisit their debut too!

I agree,quite a few different styles on this album....seems at times like a compilation album,but if you judge the album by its individual pieces,its great.

Balls to The Wall is Accept's "Black Album" ....Hated it then,dont feel much better about it now...It was a non-stop downhill trend until Blood of the Nations jump started the band again,IMHO.

Breaker is another epic album...lots of great tunes,with Starlight and Feelings being the weak links in the chain.

Restless and Wild is where Accept took it to a whole other level.Fast as a Shark in 1982 was the fastest song I had ever heard.I recall thinking that no band could ever play faster..then blastbeat became a thing and the concept of keeping time became merely a suggestion,but I regress.

Princess of the Dawn is one of those songs that no matter how loud my system is currently,it needs to be turned up! Princess is in my top 5 GOAT metal songs!

EDIT: Pardon my ignorance,but who/what is "Popoff"?

I guess at this point metal was going mainstream, and somewhat leaving me behind. For me, speed and "heavy" are for the most part diametrically opposed, with some exceptions.

Anyway, I did like most of this album from 1981, especially "Celebration"...

Another great album! Pretty much from start to finish,though I do consider Krokus to be a cut below Accept/Angel Witch/Witchfynde/Saxon/Maiden/Priest on the Totem Pole of NWOBHM.

Smelly Nelly has some of the greatest lyrics ever written :)

Winning Man is epic!

I thought the turning point for metal was 1983,when Def Leppard released Pyromania,an album that spawned a billion poseurs and mullets.

From that point on if you claimed to like metal,you needed to clarify it...real metal,or bull metal

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #798 of 2,630
Speaking of Saxon.....Another classic where you drop the needle,turn it up and the neighbors hate you!

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #799 of 2,630
Often overlooked,even by myself,most likely because she is too damn hot for her own good,but this album kicks ass

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #800 of 2,630
I agree,quite a few different styles on this album....seems at times like a compilation album,but if you judge the album by its individual pieces,its great.

Balls to The Wall is Accept's "Black Album" ....Hated it then,dont feel much better about it now...It was a non-stop downhill trend until Blood of the Nations jump started the band again,IMHO.

Breaker is another epic album...lots of great tunes,with Starlight and Feelings being the weak links in the chain.

Restless and Wild is where Accept took it to a whole other level.Fast as a Shark in 1982 was the fastest song I had ever heard.I recall thinking that no band could ever play faster..then blastbeat became a thing and the concept of keeping time became merely a suggestion,but I regress.

Princess of the Dawn is one of those songs that no matter how loud my system is currently,it needs to be turned up! Princess is in my top 5 GOAT metal songs!

EDIT: Pardon my ignorance,but who/what is "Popoff"?

Another great album! Pretty much from start to finish,though I do consider Krokus to be a cut below Accept/Angel Witch/Witchfynde/Saxon/Maiden/Priest on the Totem Pole of NWOBHM.

Smelly Nelly has some of the greatest lyrics ever written :)

Winning Man is epic!

I thought the turning point for metal was 1983,when Def Leppard released Pyromania,an album that spawned a billion poseurs and mullets.

From that point on if you claimed to like metal,you needed to clarify it...real metal,or bull**** metal

Wow, this thread is really taking me back in time. "Hardware" came out my senior year in High School, and "Winning Man" was on heavy rotation that year. I loved the album, but to me it was always hard rock rather than "metal".

I also just realized I probably haven't listened to the entire album since about 1983! And I still remember most of the lyrics and beats...

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #801 of 2,630
Wow, this thread is really taking me back in time. "Hardware" came out my senior year in High School, and "Winning Man" was on heavy rotation that year. I loved the album, but to me it was always hard rock rather than "metal".

I also just realized I probably haven't listened to the entire album since about 1983! And I still remember most of the lyrics and beats...

I liked the previous Krokus album too!
As to whether it was rock or metal,I think the title says it all :)

From "Metal Rendez-vous"

One Vice at a Time was pretty good,but heading mainstream in a big way,and then when "Headhunter"dropped it was Krokus' turn to do a "Black Album".

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #802 of 2,630
Wow. You REALLY don't like the "Black Album"!

It's funny, I never, ever thought Metallica was 'heavy'. Ever. Fast, hard, interesting, but never under any circumstances 'heavy'. 'Mast of Puppets' was brilliant. But heavy? Nope.

THIS was heavy:

This was pretty heavy as well. Still on the fast side of things, but still pretty good:

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #803 of 2,630
Venom...I bought the first three albums they did,as they were released,until I figured out they had already peaked and couldnt play their instruments.I dont consider them heavy.I consider them to be one of the more successful of the "schtick bands''...bands like PileDriver,Thor,Man-o-War....bands that succeeded due to a gimmick.

Celtic Frost...I think it was you that i was chatting with awhile back that shared some Triptykon...theyre kinda growing on me,but i had the first Hellhammer ep and thought it was worse musically than Venom.

Kill em All is a beast of an album.To this day i have an unclaimed 100.00 bet to anyone who could headbang to Whiplash,in tempo,for the entire song.But even if fast metal isnt your thing,surely songs like Creeping Death,or the Four Horsemen,or Fight Fire with Fire carried some weight in the 'heavy' debate?

I dont quite get the divide youre hearing between 'heavy' and 'fast'.To me theyre not mutually exclusive of one another.Ive always considered Exciter to be quite heavy(for the time)and theyre fast as hell(again,for the time)

So you dont think thrash in general is heavy,or Metallica specifically?

P.S.

I loathe The Black Album

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #804 of 2,630
Venom...I bought the first three albums they did,as they were released,until I figured out they had already peaked and couldnt play their instruments.I dont consider them heavy.I consider them to be one of the more successful of the "schtick bands''...bands like PileDriver,Thor,Man-o-War....bands that succeeded due to a gimmick.

Celtic Frost...I think it was you that i was chatting with awhile back that shared some Triptykon...theyre kinda growing on me,but i had the first Hellhammer ep and thought it was worse musically than Venom.

I'm having a really hard time finding words to describe how sad this post makes me.

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #805 of 2,630
Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #806 of 2,630
Another gem from back in the day....A little HeadGirl?

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #807 of 2,630
Im not sure if this is 'metal' by the standards set by @Fastnbulbous and @swspiers ,and im quite the noob when it comes to all things stoner/doom/desert/psych/occult(ill never figure out the differences)...but this is really good!Try and get past the poppy first song and there is some serious retro Thin Lizzy going on here....great sunday AM music!

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #809 of 2,630
This is great, where'd you come across it?

One of those rare,magical moments when youtube suggests an album I actually like...Just picked it up on Bandcamp...$8.00 well spent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back