The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Jun 20, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #766 of 2,630
Heh, their song "Earache My Eye," which made an appearance in Up In Smoke (1978), was first released on their 1974 comedy album!

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #767 of 2,630
My 13 year old son walks around the house and says in his not-so-great Tommy Chong

"Hey Wow Man"

#parentingdoneright

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #768 of 2,630
Heh, their song "Earache My Eye," which made an appearance in Up In Smoke (1978), was first released on their 1974 comedy album!

Within one day, in '74, I went from pop radio like "Come and Get Your Love" by Redbone and "Hooked on a Feeling" by Blue Swede to "Earache My Eye" and "War Pigs." Same day, same friend, same crappy portable record player. My world collapsed and reformed in that 15-minute instant.

By the time I was 14 in '77 I had a cheap fretless bass,Peavey TNT 100 amp and was trying feverishly to cover Rush, Judas Priest and Sabbath tunes in my drummers garage. Our attempt at "The Ripper" haunts us to this day. Then there was our attempt at "Bastille Day" with a different guitarist. Shudders....

I studied endlessly with my dad's Sennheiser HD-414's, followed at some point by the AKG K240's. To bring it back to 'phones.

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #770 of 2,630
Yaasss! I loved the AC/DC one, so glad they did Iron Maiden! Those kids are hilarious. Some are gonna flip to the dark side. More young minds destroyed by metal \../

I was 8 when I first encountered Black Sabbath. Warning, this gets a little weird, but I maintain my innocence, and I think you all can handle it.

I had just moved a month into the school year of third grade, going from popular and liked to dorky outcast. My single mom moved out from my grandparents' house to an apartment. Across the hall was another single mom with a daughter Jolene who was in my grade. She was pretty nice to me and even introduced me to kids. We were both latchkey kids, and after school would play before our moms were home. Her mom’s record collection had a few interesting rock albums including Yes – Fragile and the first four Black Sabbath albums. The covers were frightening and fascinating. My assumption is that they belonged to her absentee father.

I was transfixed by those records and wanted to listen to them more. I asked to borrow them, but she wouldn’t let me. She said I could listen to them there if I agreed to play “house” by “her rules.” Whatever. I had no choice, I needed that Sabbath. So we had tea parties with her dolls while listening to songs like “War Pigs,” “Electric Funeral,” “Sweet Leaf,” “Children Of The Grave,” and the haunting siren and devil’s tritone that kicks off “Black Sabbath.” I don’t know if the music influenced her but she got a little weird, and made me be the dog, and eat cereal out of the bowl on the floor. One day when I was doing that, she disappeared for a long time, then sprung out of her bedroom stark naked, plopped on the couch and said, “lick me, dog!” I was just stunned and frozen, with no idea what to do. I had no clue what she actually wanted me to do, because I knew nothing about those things at that time. I guess girls are more precocious. Of course just then, her mom comes home, and immediately freaks out, screaming at me and chasing me out of the apartment with a broom, all the while, Black Sabbath’s “Iron Man” is blasting on the stereo.

I took refuge in my apt, and her mom yelled at my mom that I was “molesting” her daughter. My mom defended me, saying I had no idea how to do that. Meanwhile, Jolene is streaking naked through the hallway as if she’s on caffeine or cocaine going, “Aaaaaaahhhhhh!!!” At that point I cracked up and was rolling on the floor laughing. Needless to say I never got to borrow those Sabbath albums (but I did ask!), and our friendship cooled after that. I had to wait ‘til I could find ‘em used toward the end of high school. They moved out at the end of the school year. Driven wild by budding hormones and Black Sabbath!

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #771 of 2,630
Yaasss! I loved the AC/DC one, so glad they did Iron Maiden! Those kids are hilarious. Some are gonna flip to the dark side. More young minds destroyed by metal \../

I was 8 when I first encountered Black Sabbath. Warning, this gets a little weird, but I maintain my innocence, and I think you all can handle it.

I had just moved a month into the school year of third grade, going from popular and liked to dorky outcast. My single mom moved out from my grandparents' house to an apartment. Across the hall was another single mom with a daughter Jolene who was in my grade. She was pretty nice to me and even introduced me to kids. We were both latchkey kids, and after school would play before our moms were home. Her mom’s record collection had a few interesting rock albums including Yes – Fragile and the first four Black Sabbath albums. The covers were frightening and fascinating. My assumption is that they belonged to her absentee father.

I was transfixed by those records and wanted to listen to them more. I asked to borrow them, but she wouldn’t let me. She said I could listen to them there if I agreed to play “house” by “her rules.” Whatever. I had no choice, I needed that Sabbath. So we had tea parties with her dolls while listening to songs like “War Pigs,” “Electric Funeral,” “Sweet Leaf,” “Children Of The Grave,” and the haunting siren and devil’s tritone that kicks off “Black Sabbath.” I don’t know if the music influenced her but she got a little weird, and made me be the dog, and eat cereal out of the bowl on the floor. One day when I was doing that, she disappeared for a long time, then sprung out of her bedroom stark naked, plopped on the couch and said, “lick me, dog!” I was just stunned and frozen, with no idea what to do. I had no clue what she actually wanted me to do, because I knew nothing about those things at that time. I guess girls are more precocious. Of course just then, her mom comes home, and immediately freaks out, screaming at me and chasing me out of the apartment with a broom, all the while, Black Sabbath’s “Iron Man” is blasting on the stereo.

I took refuge in my apt, and her mom yelled at my mom that I was “molesting” her daughter. My mom defended me, saying I had no idea how to do that. Meanwhile, Jolene is streaking naked through the hallway as if she’s on caffeine or cocaine going, “Aaaaaaahhhhhh!!!” At that point I cracked up and was rolling on the floor laughing. Needless to say I never got to borrow those Sabbath albums (but I did ask!), and our friendship cooled after that. I had to wait ‘til I could find ‘em used toward the end of high school. They moved out at the end of the school year. Driven wild by budding hormones and Black Sabbath!
You win the award for post of the year,nothing remotely even comes close!

P.S. Do you happen to have Jolene's number?

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #772 of 2,630
You win the award for post of the year,nothing remotely even comes close!

P.S. Do you happen to have Jolene's number?
Agreed! Post of the year, and it's a darn shame this thread is so sparsely written in. Hey lurkers: JOIN IN!!!!

Bulby (my nickname for you), your musicology might be lacking :), but you have some serious writing skills. Vivid, yet concise without so much as a wasted syllable. Amazingly funny story!!!

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #773 of 2,630
Heh, poor Jolene. I do wonder what happened to her, but I don't remember her last name, so it'll remain a mystery.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #774 of 2,630
Holy cow! New Egypt!

New Egypt. Meh. First impression: best Corrosion of Conformity album all year, but I really don't like to vocal style they've adopted. I might give it another chance, but I'm in no hurry to do so. Really disappointed!

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #775 of 2,630
New Egypt. Meh. First impression: best Corrosion of Conformity album all year, but I really don't like to vocal style they've adopted. I might give it another chance, but I'm in no hurry to do so. Really disappointed!

Make that two folks disappointed by the new Egypt release...You got my hopes up with the C.O.C. reference...nah,that doesnt sound like C.O.C.,no Thin Lizzy-esque guitars and lacking Pepper's soul in vocals

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #776 of 2,630
Make that two folks disappointed by the new Egypt release...You got my hopes up with the C.O.C. reference...nah,that doesnt sound like C.O.C.,no Thin Lizzy-esque guitars and lacking Pepper's soul in vocals
But they have that southern/sludge sound now, which is why I though COC. Also, it's like Robin Trower made a guest appearance on the last track.

Oh well, back to Elder...

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #777 of 2,630
For me,this band shouldve,couldve,wouldve been huge,except for Blackie.He treated his employees like crap,especially Chris Holmes,who was/is one of the coolest dudes Ive ever met in the industry.

Blackie is a great song writer and their shows back in L.A. before they got signed are legendary,but for whatever reason he couldnt respect anyone else in the band and soon the whole lineup(for various reasons) left .

Such a wasted chance,regardless ,still one of the best albums from back in the day.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #778 of 2,630
Jun 21, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #780 of 2,630
I do my best not to listen to a good album, hype it, and then never listen to it again. It's easy to do with the shear volume of releases over the past few years in the Stoner/Doom/Psych realm.

I've been going back to this lately, and it's definitely worth another listen. Album of the year? No way. Worth frequent replays: absolutely. The perfect doesn't have to be the enemy of the good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back