The Opamp thread
Jul 23, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #6,766 of 7,383
I'm gonna get the 1656 samples next week and have my surface mounting friend get them on dip adapters.

I have the Opa1656 and it’s fantastic! I’m dying to try the Opa1692 as I’ve heard it’s nice sounding and more importantly great in the voltage stage of your rig.

Just learned how to fix my digital files to play at optimal peaks sans binary errors so now looking forward to testing out different op amps and fixing hardware issues properly.

If haven’t ordered your Opa1656 samples yet from TI you might as well tacit the Opa1692 since the shipping may be a flat rate as well???

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #6,767 of 7,383
I have the Opa1656 and it’s fantastic! I’m dying to try the Opa1692 as I’ve heard it’s nice sounding and more importantly great in the voltage stage of your rig.

Just learned how to fix my digital files to play at optimal peaks sans binary errors so now looking forward to testing out different op amps and fixing hardware issues properly.

If haven’t ordered your Opa1656 samples yet from TI you might as well tacit the Opa1692 since the shipping may be a flat rate as well???

I got two already together on a dip from Hungary, solder work looks solid. So what IC are burson using on the v5i? my friend said it looked like they are forcing it into class-A.

Seller eBay page.

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #6,768 of 7,383
OPA1692's unusually low quiescent(?) current means it is "battery-friendlier" than most other opamps, right?

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #6,770 of 7,383
OPA1692's unusually low quiescent(?) current means it is "battery-friendlier" than most other opamps, right?

Yes compared to other opamps of a similar quality - there are other opamps that have lower current but not necessarily a good choice for audio - the OPA1692 is designed for portable audio (and USB).

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #6,771 of 7,383
I tend to steer clear of opamps not specified for audio most of the time.

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #6,772 of 7,383
Here is my take on XD05 and V5i pairing: What others found before my post is true indeed. XD05 shines with the V5i, went a great deal in removing the veil and 'darkness'.

IMG_20190628_212727.jpg

V5i brought about a drastic change by controlling the bass better, making the hit/slam quicker, less bloomy, opening up the mids and extending the highs which the XD05 badly needs. Staging and imaging are phenomenal. Level of transparency and detail retrieval are better compared to stock OPA1612 and few others I tried from LME/AD/OPA series. Good op-amps try not to add their own character to the sound, and the V5i sticks to that. Slight flavor is heard depending upon the circuit used, but I feel that’s expected and can’t be prevented.

1.jpeg

Pulled off the top metal cover to make space for capacitors. V5i is perhaps one of very few opamps today that focuses on soundstage, and the staging is such that it feels well layered and details emanating from each layer can be heard with an analytical headphone. Nice advantage of V5i over all other discrete op-amps: It fits in about any DIP8 socket, regardless the case size. I would recommend the V5i if you like your amplifier/DAC but want to make it sound cleaner, clearer: and the change V5i brings out is incredible.

IMG_20190724_224035.jpg

Don’t mind me if I sound enthusiastic, Burson is kind of my favorite audio brand given their sound engineering and design philosophy focusing on soundstage & transparency. Kudos Team Burson! :)

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #6,773 of 7,383
Crazy Concept/Experiment.

Has anyone ever tried/attempted putting two different op amps in a lpf (or in another particular stage??) to be used in two isolated different (stereo) channels?

Would be pretty rad to get an “aggregated” sound between two contracting op amps that’s characteristics that compliment themselves as a pair.

The only problem I can spectacle happening is: oscillating and temple/pitch issues??

*note I’m not talking about putting single or double amps on an adapter. I’m talking another two separate amps that would operate independently on two different channels.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #6,774 of 7,383
Do you mean something like having one opamp handle bass and another mid-range and treble on the same channel or having completely separate opamps on opposite left and right channels?

The first would probably have some pretty funky issues around the frequency cut-off of the filter but might produce interesting results if accuracy isn't a goal. You can stop them fighting each other by sticking a 1-2ohm (occasionally might need slightly higher for some opamps) resistor on the output of each where they combine.

The other there are various takes on like the pseudo-balanced amplifier someone on here built - I also separately built my own variant of it using dual isolated power supplies, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #6,775 of 7,383
I accidentally had two different op amps in and I think each one was set up for left and right. Didn't notice until I went looking for an opamp to swap.
I had 2x 2314's in and they were warm, not bad at all. I found OPA2604 to have more clarity.

I am still waiting on the 1692, I am thinking of getting 4 of the old 49710's and putting them on a dual adapter. Heard them in a whammy that takes 2520, it had 4 and it was super holographic.

There is a whammy on the right the other one I mentioned is not pictured that has the 49710's. The smaller amp on the left is amazing. I am trying to get my friend to get it on to a dip. It's a very picky op amp but it might be worth a shot.

For those not familiar with the 2520 types, the entire green daughter board is actually the op amp. The 990C+ one that is made by a company and my audio freind who makes these amps knows him I believe.

IMG_20190719_092938.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #6,776 of 7,383
Has anyone tried a 1692?
I`m using OPA1692IDR (DAC differential opamp) + OPA2228PA (HO amp) and it sounds quite marvelous in my Aune T1.
Stopped trying other opamps after this pairing (using with Siemens E88CC goldpin as tube buffer) :)

Jul 26, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #6,777 of 7,383
So I'm completely new to op amp rolling. I just got two Muses op amps from Amazon two days ago and I'm thinking they might be fake? I only listened to the Muses01 op amp since yesterday and it isn't that great comparing to what I currently have (OPA2604AP) in my chi-fi 6j1 tube headphone amp (the amp came with NE5532P which is probably fake as there were distortions all over the place so I replaced that with a OPA2604AP I got from a trusted dealer). The Muses01 sounds a bit incoherent in my setup but not as bad as the original op amp. I'm wondering if it the problem is my setup or the op amp?
IMG_1686.jpeg IMG_1700_1.jpeg IMG_1702_1.jpeg

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #6,779 of 7,383
Do you mean something like having one opamp handle bass and another mid-range and treble on the same channel or having completely separate opamps on opposite left and right channels?

The first would probably have some pretty funky issues around the frequency cut-off of the filter but might produce interesting results if accuracy isn't a goal. You can stop them fighting each other by sticking a 1-2ohm (occasionally might need slightly higher for some opamps) resistor on the output of each where they combine.

The other there are various takes on like the pseudo-balanced amplifier someone on here built - I also separately built my own variant of it using dual isolated power supplies, etc.

Wow! That’s impressive that someone here built two isolated powered channels.

Pseudo-balanced idea seems interesting and maybe perfected with the right software algorithms that are custom made per channel. That would require some hardcore software engineering skills.

The pseudo surround sounds I’ve encountered on the software side all sound artificial but there are some that get it right like Cowon.

... basically wanted to put a opa2228 on one channel and AD8620 on the another. (Left + Right)

Off the top of my head the only thing I can see as a logical problem would be that if the op amps aren’t close in specs there could be a time issue with latency. However, as a byproduct it could be a nice experiment to A/B Test in each ear which op amp would sound better??

As long as nothing hardware-wise is being compromised, it seems like a harmless way to experiment but I’m certainly not sure to say so with absolute certainty to all.

I would imagine that you’d have put two op amps that are of = Class A, B, etc. on separate stereo channels in the same stage. (Would imagine it sounded funky otherwise unless it’s so minimal that your ears don’t detect any difference)

Many modern discrete op amps don’t draw a lot of current so if the range of both different op amps are of = value energy consumption it should be a problem.

As far the “warm” or “bright”, etc it is my belief that this is determined by how the op amp feature or highlight certain frequencies and how they tuned. This is how sound engineers mix audio tracks.

All things equal a great firmware that integrate with a high performance op amp with a wide bandwidth will sound ANYWAY you want. Lots of Diyers find this difficult to accept since they only tend to focus to the “Analog” part of the Digital-to-Analog converters.

Lots of sound issues are really a factor of how well your clocks are, how the upsampling and if there errors in the binary info of the files.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back