The Opamp thread
Aug 15, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #6,796 of 7,383
I haven't had any bad experience with Cirrus Logic DACs myself. The only DACs that I've really disliked are just those ESS DACs. Disgusting sound.
I still prefer BB, AKM, and ADI, which are still common. AKM sure is popular these days.
I had not tried PCM1795 until the Teac P90 and FiiO E18. Wow, what beautiful sound.

Also, forgot to recommend ADA4001 over ADA4004. 4001 is uber transparent, more than most opamps. Specified for mic preamps, and I can hear why it would rock hard in such, especially in recording gear.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #6,797 of 7,383
When you say a DAC doesn't matter what do you mean? I think every CS4398 DAC I have tried sounds like poop including the mecca of ASR the D30, in fact the cheaper D10 is a better and cleaner sounding unit. I find the ESS very clear and transparent the AKM's a little bit more silky in it's presentation. (disclaimer: to my ears)

I’m not saying a DAC is irrelevant what I am saying is we all have different taste and priorities/personal preferences for sound so I just put my opinions and thoughts on the thread in regards to op amp rolling & didn’t feel the need to talk about my particular portable music player because it wasn’t relevant for the discussion and only creates a diversion.

Obviously, the way a DAC is tuned and what chip it has impacts the sound. What I like about the ESS chips is that they are EXTREMELY power punchy sounding and the bass is amazing but I prefer the AKM sound and the Sony neutral sound but I won’t dismiss ESS “sound” since the “magic” really comes from the circuitry. (IMO)

I just got the new Nw-55 Walkman and it’s a great daily driver for on-the-go. You can’t op amp roll with it but it’s a great performer even in “stock mode.”

D10 is great. I love Topping such quality DACs. I wanted to get one portable headphone amp but it didn’t have balanced out for 2.5m. Topping are also DIY friendly with Op Amp Rolling. The great thing about op amp rolling is that when you sick of certain sound you can mix it up. I like to mix it up every once and while.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #6,798 of 7,383
Hi guys! I have being using the Burson V6 Vivid 2years with my beloved Sound Blaster X7!!! And if i put the default opas back they suck in all areas! and the highs feel uncontrolled like the bass region only middle section is allmust same level in my opinion in games i have noticed with HD800 that pinpoint and distant accuracy is supah versus stocks! And now i just recently buyed new Sound BlasterX AE-9 but i tryed to force to fit those big V6 and the one pin broked and was Dual "Darn!!" this is the reason to post this because maybe sombody read this with intention to bye new AE-9 and quality of V6 Vivid is honestly superb! Damn have to get some money and buy one new V6 V dual to old X7 and 2x V5i single and 2x V5i dual to new Sound BlasterX AE-9! I hope this really help even one person! Peace and enjoy the music! <3

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #6,800 of 7,383
8i10cce.jpg
2aa96FZ
Did you broke V6's pin? Is the DIP8 still attached to the V6

You may want to upload a picture with with the broken pin.
K2XUMoO
syIODpR

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #6,801 of 7,383
That`s no problem imho. Just needs some soldering and gentle push into DIP-8 socket (make sure you have HQ socket that is with accurate pin placement).
I also broke one pin with my V5i-D and for convinience, just used tiny piece of hq wire with soldering - works like charm :)
Harder choice is to remove old pins-socket completely and install new one.
Anyway, no need for getting new opamp IMHO as it is working perfectly.

BTW, I think Burson is using crappy male pins adapter, material on those pins is so fragile.
Proper pins with good plated copper shouldn`t brake so easily, imho.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #6,802 of 7,383
That`s no problem imho. Just needs some soldering and gentle push into DIP-8 socket (make sure you have HQ socket that is with accurate pin placement).
I also broke one pin with my V5i-D and for convinience, just used tiny piece of hq wire with soldering - works like charm :)
Harder choice is to remove old pins-socket completely and install new one.
Anyway, no need for getting new opamp IMHO as it is working perfectly.

BTW, I think Burson is using crappy male pins adapter, material on those pins is so fragile.
Proper pins with good plated copper shouldn`t brake so easily, imho.

Thanks Coil from the very good advice to help me!!!!! Thanks again and i hope you have a great day!!!! <3
ps. yes it srsly broked instantly for the first try with the new card!

Aug 21, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #6,804 of 7,383
I guess with 5-10EUR any GSM service should help you out.

The legs are made from a highly conductive copper compound for better conductivity and zero tolerance to corrosion and oxidation. You guys need to see how easy the pins of MUSES01/02 brake...:)

Yes indeed that was too nice idea and the shop is so close than im going there! Il be back! "report then"

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #6,805 of 7,383
Hey All!

I would like to do some more dual op amp rolling with a few priorities in mind: 1. Low power 2. Ultra low noise 3. Ultra low distortion 4. Wide voltage range

I am looking for something in the same class as the the Opa1692, lm4562, NE5532, NE5534, etc however I want to experiment with different companies/sounds like NJR, AD and Maxim, etc since I mostly experienced in TI ones (which are great!!!)

I would like the best low power high performance ratio with a nice soundstage and dynamic range. Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #6,807 of 7,383
Here are some old skool 2520 op-amps in class-A mode with 49710HA's in the mix. These are a holographic op-amps to begin with but this wizardry has brought it to the next level. It is a design by my friend Carl and I think it's called a KAD Headphone Line amp.

This @50% gets a T60RP to comfortable loud levels so penty of juice, the balanced will have more so can't wait and he has PCB's on order too! Some of these might get a limited run!

God Damn! I could listen to this liquid holograph all day!

Pc5MYrT.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #6,808 of 7,383

One of my all time favorites but you gotta get the “opa2228au” its the “br” of its counterpart the Ad8620 but wayyy less $$. The ad8620 applications goes beyond audio like ultrasound because of it’s insane performance. Why is this important in Audio because the damn thing can be eq’ed (it runs sharp on the tremble aggressive around the 1.5 to 12k??) and can be tamed and “fine tuned” with some digital filters!

The opa828/827 have this quality but comes in single (don’t run sharp either) and are slightly more $ than the the opa2228 (sound-wise). It’s a rad chip bro, it’s got this graininess that’s pleasant like a 35mm picture from 60s French or Italian Cinema remastered in digital!

The AD chips have THE best bass response I’ve ever heard but as counterpoint laid-back “Balance” of the burr-brown is what I am after! The opa1612 is freakin’ amazing but ‘needs’ something like the Ad “Ooomph.”

Shout out to the National Audio engineers (now owned by TI) the NwGuy was right about them. The NJM4562 is one of best headphone amps but I prefer better sound quality of other amps (soundwise). Which none of which would be possible sans the contribution tho the National Semiconductor Audio engineers!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #6,809 of 7,383
I haven't had any bad experience with Cirrus Logic DACs myself. The only DACs that I've really disliked are just those ESS DACs. Disgusting sound.
I still prefer BB, AKM, and ADI, which are still common. AKM sure is popular these days.
I had not tried PCM1795 until the Teac P90 and FiiO E18. Wow, what beautiful sound.

Also, forgot to recommend ADA4001 over ADA4004. 4001 is uber transparent, more than most opamps. Specified for mic preamps, and I can hear why it would rock hard in such, especially in recording gear.

I'm generally not a fan of Cirrus Logic DACs myself - most of their mainstream lines sound a bit dulling and muddy to my ears and while the higher tier parts are a little better I still find it hard to get excited by them.

ESS DACs do tend to have quite a "power punchy" sound as someone said above which is going to be a bit Marmite - my Creative AE-5 has one coupled with LM4562 opamps and that has quite a big punchy "high-res" sound, which is actually quite decent for video gaming, but a touch brittle and cold for music listening - but you can also do interesting things with ESS DACs depending on the supporting circuitry.

The TI PCM series tend to be pretty solid.

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #6,810 of 7,383
Hi, All! I'm currently trying V6 Vivids in my DAC and I like the sound over my OPA627 very much BUT I experience rather extra level of HF than I need. I'm considering buying Sparkos SS3602 instead, anyone can tell if Sparkos are less prone to brightness or not?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back