The Opamp thread
Apr 7, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #5,176 of 7,383
  I am trying to come to term with this biasing.

Do we need CCS for both channels or one would do?

In my phono stage the V- is common for both dual op amps therefor 4 single op amps are basically fed from the same V- rail.
Doesn't injecting biasing current into the V- rail from any of the channels of any op amps output through a jFET cascode would feed all the op amps in the circuit?

Thanks,
Bela

No, it doesn't work like that. You have to bias each op-amp output that you want to have in class A. Your not injecting bias into the V- rail, your drawn a small current from the output to the V- rail.
Some op-amp benefit more from this than others, your mileage may vary.

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #5,177 of 7,383
Now I was snoopy and ordered a pair of the new Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 S for my headphone amp WNA MKII.
Before I used OPA627 (after a lot of others) with best performance.
First short hearing test, my feeling the Supreme Sound Opamp V5 S surpassing the OPA627 in details of music. 
In Ray-Brown-Summerwinds - Li'l darling (tr. 3) I hear each hair of the brushes more than with other OPAs.

Its hard to compare them, I don't have two ident WNA MKII, so I need to swap the OPAs for comparing.
The headphone I use for comparing is the AKG K812 Pro.

More about come later.
Next days I will spend more time for comparing.

About Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 S
http://www.ssaudio.com.au/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5/
http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5/

About WNA MKII
http://www.head-fi.org/t/99596/new-wna-mkll-head-amp-kit
http://www.head-fi.org/t/99596/new-wna-mkll-head-amp-kit/750

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #5,178 of 7,383
Black Gates!?

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #5,179 of 7,383
  Black Gates!?

Yes - the red cylinders are Jelmax H.P Black Gate NX 1000 uF 25V, buy'd from  Michael Percy Audio
http://www.percyaudio.com/

But they are out of production and out of stock 
frown.gif

I think, the Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 (single or dual) are a very good option to replace OPAs.
The only drawback, it must be place enough.
I must use an additional DIP socket between.

​But it gives some hints about fitting, extension kits
http://www.ssaudio.com.au/category/diy_audio_project/
http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5/

A Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 instead of an SMD OPA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6s88jANfCw&feature=youtu.be

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #5,183 of 7,383
Try the Burson v5. It arrived at my house a few days ago but I'm not home yet to try it. My brother says it's more analog sounding than the muses02 I have on the LD I+, but still very "premium" indeed.

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #5,185 of 7,383
Try the Burson v5. It arrived at my house a few days ago but I'm not home yet to try it. My brother says it's more analog sounding than the muses02 I have on the LD I+, but still very "premium" indeed.

After some weeks of testing, the Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 is a very good choice indeed.

Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 is one of the best I ever heard. 
k701smile.gif

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #5,186 of 7,383

After some weeks of testing, the Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 is a very good choice indeed.

Burson Supreme Sound Opamp V5 is one of the best I ever heard. 
k701smile.gif

Nice, I just got the small 4x single V5i for an iBasso PB2.

Looking forward to testing them out asap.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #5,187 of 7,383
  This thread is almost seven years old, yet it seems (from searching) this will be the first post mentioning the Sparkos discrete op-amps.

Here are some first impressions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/5040

Mike

Hi zilch0md,

I am running Sparkos 3602's in the I/V of my STX II soundcard. They are excellent. I would recommend them to anyone. They are totally balanced throughout the frequency range ( no holes or hills). As an exmusician I enjoy listening to subtle stuff in mixing and presentation of material and the Sparkos are very revealing of the files you are playing.

Am currently running 2-OPA637's stacked for the buffer socket and am thinking of ordering another 3602 to replace that.

BTW, Sparkos sells off of Ebay also and Andrew accepts bids for his opamps there.
Also anyone getting some, remember to take off the extension socket that Sparkos ships on the opamp to protect the pins.

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #5,190 of 7,383
i have now had a mere two days of using the burson v5i

it replaced a dual opa627 in the buffer position on my asus xonar hdav1.3, that was initially occupied by the stock supplied (LM)4562NA

having decided in short order that the opa627 was an improvement on the 4562na i never changed it out in half a decade because it seemed clear to me that opa627 was better at "tight" bass and general all round reproduction

until wednesday afternoon...  when i discovered how the burson v5i compares

in a word : better
in more words : n(much) better

the only negative thing i can say is that there is a bit of a squeeze to get it to occupy the buffer socket on the hdav, and ttbomk the stx shares almost identical architecture, so might also need a little encouragement to seat it by gently easing apart the surrounding components

my initial listening was via my pair of venerable but very well maintained klipsch promedia ultra 2.0, to a very large and diverse range of flacs using foobar

in the two days since i got started, the first afternoon ended after 9 hours of almost solid engagement with music, something that would previously have been too fatigue inducing to manage, and it was as if the music collection had been invigorated by some act of aural magic

the sound stage spread out such that every so often a subtle cowbell or rim shot would appear way too far off to one side to believe it wasn't coming from elsewhere - i actually muted the sound on one occasion to prove to myself a percussion hit wasn't something tapping the outside wall a metre to my left

every instrument was precisely placed, and exquisitely nuanced, but moreso there was absolutely no harshness to the sound even with tracks i previously used to think were too shrill; and it wasn't like the edges had been softened, as the attack and fade were much crisper in the right parts, but the sustain lingered beautifully where it belonged

i struggle to pull the right word to describe the effect, but the most compelling part was that everything is just so much "cleaner" but like it had been lovingly washed by a perfect shower of gentle spring rain rather than scrubbed with a surgical prep; gorgeous is not a precise descriptor i guess, but i lack the audiophile vocabulary to sound like a professional critic

suffice to say, i have had my jaw drop on several occasions, listening to old favourites in a completely surreal clarity... there's stuff there i never heard before, even on the diamond 10's in the living room, and even though i am quite aware that it's not a/b testing, playing the same source in the living room to the wharfedales via a nad d3020 sounded gratingly poor by comparison

that was me done for... although it took me another day of listening (thursday being a day off) before i could disengage after work today to do the swap i knew was inevitable

so, same hdav and v5i into the htpc, using the same flacs, but this time ported via the nad d3020 (which is a dac/ class d hybrid), but using the analogue out from the hdav in place of the usb from the htpc... if i could manage to compare them a/b i would, except swapping feed out on the htpc and source on the nad simultaneously is nigh on impossible

downstream from the nad are a pair of wharfedale diamond 10.1's on bespoke stands, and a 10.gx (10" active sub)

yes, i know about observer bias and yada yada, but this isn't a science experiment, it's what i noticed having recognised quite clearly that the klipsch were outperforming the diamonds using the nad's integrated dac

long story short = wow ! !! !!!

i confess that i can't state that the response isn't at least in part due to the better dac qualities of the hdav, but having swapped a xonar d2 back into my desktop for the klipsch, they have immediately become more muddy (albeit still very pleasant), but my ears rebelled after only a few quiet acoustic songs, having been perfectly blissed out for most of my waking hours in the last 2 days, and mostly on those same speakers but with the v5i in play

meanwhile out in the living room, song after song revealed hitherto unknown detail, and a sound stage way wider than the placement - i don't get how that can even happen, but with eyes shut there are sounds that are not between the speakers

the bass is tight and dynamic, the vocals are authentic, and percussion is beautiful; guitars / sax / violin / tuba / harmonica / etc... all achingly beautiful

i quite simply can't believe the polish this tiny device has applied to my music collection... i thought the $14aud i spent on the opa627 was a great investment 5 years ago, and indeed it has been

but i would encourage anyone with curiosity and intact hearing to spend $40us to experience this for themselves, because no way my ramblings after two days of being possessed by music can adequately describe the epiphany this modification has provided me

you have nothing to lose...  except perhaps several days of your life once you start listening and can't stop
blink.gif

that happened to me 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back