The Opamp thread
Jun 10, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #5,192 of 7,383
Jun 10, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #5,193 of 7,383
  i have now had a mere two days of using the burson v5i

it replaced a dual opa627 in the buffer position on my asus xonar hdav1.3, that was initially occupied by the stock supplied (LM)4562NA

having decided in short order that the opa627 was an improvement on the 4562na i never changed it out in half a decade because it seemed clear to me that opa627 was better at "tight" bass and general all round reproduction

the bass is tight and dynamic, the vocals are authentic, and percussion is beautiful; guitars / sax / violin / tuba / harmonica / etc... all achingly beautiful

With AKG K812 headphone, WNA MKII headphone amp, Marantz SA7001 KI CD/SACD player.

SACD Tracks - Allan Taylor, Leaving At Dawn, Stockfisch

Tracks 9, 10, 11, 12

Comparing OPA627 vs. V5
OPA 627, a little bit warmer
V5, a little bit more neutral, clearer.

In the WNA MKII headphone amp running all stages in Class A. I had compared them with Violectric HPA281 and SPL Phontor 2 without significant differences (with using OPA627). I think with V5 the differences are smaller.
http://violectric-usa.com/headphone-amplifiers/hpa-v281
https://spl.info/de/produkte/kopfhoererverstaerker/phonitor-2/uebersicht.html

Jun 11, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #5,194 of 7,383
I also posted in the Matrix HPA3-B and Gustard thread over 20 days ago about the Sparkos.

It's a wonder more people here on Head-Fi haven't tried it, but the price is higher than the Burson V5, so that's a showstopper for some people.  

Then again, I paid $150 + shipping for a pair of NJR Muses 02, ordered from mouser.com, to avoid getting counterfeits.

When you compare the material construction of the Sparkos SS3602 to the Muses02, it's the Muses 02 that's way overpriced (and not at all competitive in terms of sound quality). 

i03417.jpg

This IC op-amp costs $75.00 (if you want to avoid counterfeit).

Update:  I paid $75.00 each for this IC op-amp in February 2014, at Mouser.com, but they can currently be had for $46.25.

This discrete op-amp only costs $79.80.   (A much better value.)

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #5,195 of 7,383
So the Sparkos sounds better, you feel?

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #5,196 of 7,383

in a word : better
in more words : n(much) better

the only negative thing i can say is that there is a bit of a squeeze to get it to occupy the buffer socket on the hdav, and ttbomk the stx shares almost identical architecture, so might also need a little encouragement to seat it by gently easing apart the surrounding components

I see you had fitting issues with the silver cap EMI protector on the chip.

I could not fit them easily in a Project Starlight I have a short while for testing. This is due to the small lip around what I guess is the EMI cap on them.

However, from this photo it looks like the cap is removable. I'm not sure if it would have any adverse effect as most mainstream opamps and even Sparkos Muse 02 do not have this kind of metal cap.
is it purely to protect the chips and should be removed on installation ? @Burson Audio
I'm unsure from a user perspective. I did not want to wedge it off, until mine were too tight in the hybrid tube amp. Next test is iBasso PB2.

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #5,197 of 7,383
  So the Sparkos sounds better, you feel?

Hi!

Some people I've read are saying the SS3602 has a rolled-off treble compared to the Burson V5 and I have to agree it's a little bit less airy, but I really think it's also a cleaner, better-defined treble - not as (annoyingly) crystalline with the HD800 as when using the Burson V5, but I wouldn't say there's any loss of detail. It's like a big fan was turned on to suck the smoke out of the air.  When the smoke is gone, you can see better.  The treble difference is impossible to detect with the LCD-2 rev.1, by the way.  I'm struggling to find the words, but let me put it this way:  The SS3602 treble isn't as rolled-off as it is simply more quiet around the real stuff, but if this has you thinking you're going to miss out on high-frequency micro-details that you can hear with the Burson V5, that's not the case. If anything, the SS3602, just cleans them up, and makes them easier to enjoy, but yes, while rolling off the treble energy, just a bit. In short, I LOVE the SS3602 treble - it sounds really natural. 

I spent several hours last weekend, and again today (Saturday) swapping the V5 and SS3602, playing short segments of favorite tracks. The SS3602 upper mids are a tiny bit recessed relative to the V5, but the bass is a bit stronger (it's subtle, but noticeable) - again, very nice for the HD800.  Everything is very tightly controlled - the best bass I've heard with the HD800 - with authority and speed.  And don't worry about the vocals - they sound stunningly real.

I also feel as if I'm sitting closer to the stage with the SS3602, where everything is a little more distant with the V5, so we could argue that the soundstage isn't as expansive, but I prefer that myself. Again... we're talking about op-amp differences here, not headphone differences, so please try to scale all of my observations appropriately. But...  I like the not so laid back sound of the SS3602 vs. the V5.  That's one thing I didn't like about the Burson Soloist - sitting several rows back from the stage seems to be a Burson "house" trait.

Lastly...  The SS3602 for sure has more power AND dynamics than the V5.  I had to volume match them using an SPL meter and white noise file in order to make comparisons.  

I'm so impressed by how the SS3602 sounds with the DT880 600 (via the iBasso PB2's TRS jack), I've sent them out to remove the stock 3-wire cable an get mini-XLR jacks installed on each side.  I can't wait to hear the DT880 600 using both sides of the SS3602 duals - more power, with balanced output.

:)

Mike

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #5,198 of 7,383
  I see you had fitting issues with the silver cap EMI protector on the chip.

true that

my pics and full "build" experience is here (link)

but here is a comparison shot of the burson and the dual opa627, and even allowing for the distorted perspective you can tell it's more a square than an oblong

but it fits 
smile.gif
, although obviously with a different placement ymmv

Originally Posted by Lohb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

is it purely to protect the chips and should be removed on installation ? 
I'm unsure from a user perspective. I did not want to wedge it off, until mine were too tight in the hybrid tube amp. Next test is iBasso PB2.

throw an email to burson and ask; they seem very receptive to mail from my experience with them

although they are less keen to offer their thoughts on relative merit to alternative options, which is understandable

(lots of good stuff, and...)

Lastly...  The SS3602 for sure has more power AND dynamics than the V5.  I had to volume match them using an SPL meter and white noise file in order to make comparisons.  

Mike

too lazy for major cut 'n' paste but obliged to ponder whether i can stand discovering better than what i already have, so soon

the htpc / music project was meant to be a quick improvement, not another obsession

i am not sure i could stand any better bass, but i guess a 10" driver trumps earphones, and i have adjustment for crossover frequency and volume on the sub

my biggest pondering at present is whether the two liberated dual opa627 would make an improvement on the hdav in the i/v slots, or if the earlier "freed" (LM)4562NA might be an option

you people appear to have a clue... so, what ??  i would need to faff with the lounge room set up again, so it will need a bit of encouragement to make me adequately curious and dissatisfied to put in the effort

there's a remix mini android pc here i have been meaning to play with instead.... 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #5,199 of 7,383
Hi Scruffy1,

A friend of mine once told me he had read an article or heard a book or whatever that left him convinced of its message:  "Too many choices leads to unhappiness". I say, "The more choices the better," but when it comes to op-amps, I'm glad I only own one piece of gear into which I can roll them.  It sounds as if you've got several pieces with which to ramp up the permutations and combinations, as multipliers of your inventory of op-amps. You almost need to create a truth matrix, so you can keep track of which combos you've tried and what you liked.  :)

Mike

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #5,200 of 7,383
so i guess it boils down to : "suck it and see"

it took me 5 years to swap out the opa627's, and i am loving the bursons, so i might be much older by the time i re-visit the sound card

although it only took me 3 days to shuffle the deck here to pass the benefit to the best speakers, so maybe not...

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #5,201 of 7,383

Hi!

Some people I've read are saying the SS3602 has a rolled-off treble compared to the Burson V5 and I have to agree it's a little bit less airy, but I really think it's also a cleaner, better-defined treble - not as (annoyingly) crystalline with the HD800 as when using the Burson V5, but I wouldn't say there's any loss of detail. It's like a big fan was turned on to suck the smoke out of the air.  When the smoke is gone, you can see better.  The treble difference is impossible to detect with the LCD-2 rev.1, by the way.  I'm struggling to find the words, but let me put it this way:  The SS3602 treble isn't as rolled-off as it is simply more quiet around the real stuff, but if this has you thinking you're going to miss out on high-frequency micro-details that you can hear with the Burson V5, that's not the case. If anything, the SS3602, just cleans them up, and makes them easier to enjoy, but yes, while rolling off the treble energy, just a bit. In short, I LOVE the SS3602 treble - it sounds really natural. 

I spent several hours last weekend, and again today (Saturday) swapping the V5 and SS3602, playing short segments of favorite tracks. The SS3602 upper mids are a tiny bit recessed relative to the V5, but the bass is a bit stronger (it's subtle, but noticeable) - again, very nice for the HD800.  Everything is very tightly controlled - the best bass I've heard with the HD800 - with authority and speed.  And don't worry about the vocals - they sound stunningly real.

I also feel as if I'm sitting closer to the stage with the SS3602, where everything is a little more distant with the V5, so we could argue that the soundstage isn't as expansive, but I prefer that myself. Again... we're talking about op-amp differences here, not headphone differences, so please try to scale all of my observations appropriately. But...  I like the not so laid back sound of the SS3602 vs. the V5.  That's one thing I didn't like about the Burson Soloist - sitting several rows back from the stage seems to be a Burson "house" trait.

I'm so impressed by how the SS3602 sounds with the DT880 600 (via the iBasso PB2's TRS jack), I've sent them out to remove the stock 3-wire cable an get mini-XLR jacks installed on each side.  I can't wait to hear the DT880 600 using both sides of the SS3602 duals - more power, with balanced output.

Mike

Thanks.  I just order a pair of the single SS3601 and look forward to comparing them with the V5.

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #5,203 of 7,383
I found on mouser.de
http://www.mouser.de/new/njr/NJR-MUSES-Amplifiers/ 
All prices could be vary!

Mouser Part No: 513-MUSES02
Manufacturer Part No: MUSES02
Manufacturer: NJR
Description: Audio Amplifiers Bipolar Input Dual Op Amp
Pricing (EUR): € 46,53

Mouser Part No: 513-MUSES01
Manufacturer Part No: MUSES01
Manufacturer: NJR