The Opamp thread
Jun 14, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #5,222 of 7,383
Jun 14, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #5,223 of 7,383
Aaaaaaaand my SS3602 sparko opamp is stuck on USPS blackhole at kearny NJ.

thank you ebay sellers using godforsaken garbage USPS first class/standard package service.

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #5,225 of 7,383

thank you ebay sellers using godforsaken garbage USPS first class/standard package service.

You're extremely unlucky.

USPS 1st class has only given me trouble about three or four times in eight years and a few hundred parcels (buying/selling), so I feel their service is pretty good overall.

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #5,226 of 7,383

That's weird.  The same thing happened to me.  Tracking info showed it went half-way across the country very quickly to reach a local USPS distribution center that's only 10 miles from my house - where it sat still, going nowhere for about three days, then it took a whole day to make it to my local post office and I got it the next day.  Sheesh!

I have a theory: The USPS is so busy delivering Amazon packages that are handed off to them from the UPS, that they couldn't care less about their direct clients. They've got a big fat contract with Amazon/UPS that takes precedent over all parcels that are not shipped by Priority or Express Mail. 

Zzzzzzzzzz....

:)

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #5,227 of 7,383

That's weird.  The same thing happened to me.  Tracking info showed it went half-way across the country very quickly to reach a local USPS distribution center that's only 10 miles from my house - where it sat still, going nowhere for about three days, then it took a whole day to make it to my local post office and I got it the next day.  Sheesh!

I have a theory: The USPS is so busy delivering Amazon packages that are handed off to them from the UPS, that they couldn't care less about their direct clients. They've got a big fat contract with Amazon/UPS that takes precedent over all parcels that are not shipped by Priority or Express Mail. 

Zzzzzzzzzz....

:)

Mine shipped yesterday and has departed Denver, we'll see how long it takes to get to Central IL.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #5,228 of 7,383
  Here's a big question: Can you name all the (somewhat) famous headphone amps that use opamp? So far I've know the cmoyBB, Little Dot I+, some soundcards (most famous of which is perhaps the ASUS Xonar) and the xDuoo xd05.

Any one?

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #5,230 of 7,383
I would not think they would order enough to custom design IC chip and setup production line probably more like order some with no markings

A Hybrid Audio Opamp with SSV5 DNA

The inception of our latest product originated as a result of our partnership with a leading microchip foundry.  Together we have created an integrated version of our V5 FET circuitry. In order to overcome many of the inherent limitations associated with ICs, we have externalized parts of its circuitry and completed those sections with high quality discrete components.

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #5,231 of 7,383

Mine shipped yesterday and has departed Denver, we'll see how long it takes to get to Central IL.

In my case and with KopaZ, it quickly made the trip to our respective, local USPS distribution centers, then sat there for a couple of days, going nowhere, before finally making the last few miles to our respective local local post offices, then sat there overnight, before getting delivered to our homes. I 

So it will probably get to Central IL, quickly. I'm curious as to how long it will sit still at your local USPS distribution center - as revealed by the tracking info. 
tongue.gif

Another thing that's weird about the USPS, is that if you request text message updates to your phone, the text messages run almost a full day behind the actual change in status. I suspect that just as there is a big bottleneck of first class parcels in their distribution centers, their servers are suffering a massive backlog for issuing text messages.  LOL

If I let my suspicious nature run wild, I can easily imagine that these delays in handling First Class parcels are intentionally levied to "encourage" USPS customers to use their more expensive Priority Mail and Express Mail services, instead. In the end, that's perfectly OK. I like having the choice of saving money to ship things slowly and, ultimately, prices reflect what the market is willing to pay (unless the government interferes with free market supply and demand interactions.)

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #5,232 of 7,383
  Any one?

I don't know if they qualify as "famous" or even "(somewhat) famous" but one that you didn't mention (but probably already know about) is the Gustard H10, which tends to run hot enough when the lid is on the case to melt the Burson V5.  And this might not appeal to you, but I've read that Burson's Lycan is a great little amp - especially for rolling op-amps, as it's not balanced, and thus, you only have to buy half as many op-amps to test them.  Other than portables, I can't think of any other "desktop" amps that have socketed op-amps that can be easily removed, but there are probably several I just don't know about.

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #5,233 of 7,383

In my case and with KopaZ, it quickly made the trip to our respective, local USPS distribution centers, then sat there for a couple of days, going nowhere, before finally making the last few miles to our respective local local post offices, then sat there overnight, before getting delivered to our homes. I 

So it will probably get to Central IL, quickly. I'm curious as to how long it will sit still at your local USPS distribution center - as revealed by the tracking info. 
tongue.gif

Another thing that's weird about the USPS, is that if you request text message updates to your phone, the text messages run almost a full day behind the actual change in status. I suspect that just as there is a big bottleneck of first class parcels in their distribution centers, their servers are suffering a massive backlog for issuing text messages.  LOL

If I let my suspicious nature run wild, I can easily imagine that these delays in handling First Class parcels are intentionally levied to "encourage" USPS customers to use their more expensive Priority Mail and Express Mail services, instead. In the end, that's perfectly OK. I like having the choice of saving money to ship things slowly and, ultimately, prices reflect what the market is willing to pay (unless the government interferes with free market supply and demand interactions.)

They arrived today as I bought 2 singles.  I just put them in.  Haven't listened but I can tell you I was shocked by the different efficiency that the Burson Audio SSA v5D I had in the Lycan.  Just put the Purist Audio Design Ultimate System Enhancer CD on for a few hours to break them in.

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #5,234 of 7,383

They arrived today as I bought 2 singles.  I just put them in.  Haven't listened but I can tell you I was shocked by the different efficiency that the Burson Audio SSA v5D I had in the Lycan.  Just put the Purist Audio Design Ultimate System Enhancer CD on for a few hours to break them in.

more ? less ?? efficient

Users who are viewing this thread

Back