The Opamp thread
Mar 4, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #6,886 of 7,383
Pinnacle is less bias and more hirearchy. Stating that some like center staged and mid focused sound while others like separation and sound-stage is bias because it is a preferential choice between the two. The reason why I gave the discreet opamps (Burson V5 SS and Sparkos) the Pinnacle moinker is because they both represent less compromise. They both exceed with separation and sound-stage with intimately staged and focused details while being warm and also fast.

Better for me is that the sound is as closely reproduced to what was recorded.

As for "Seems" ... that is because the implementation matters.
In my headphone amp, these are my impressions which are similar for some opamps and different for others from what they sounded like in the Xonar where you had I/V and a buffer or in something as simple as a CMOY. In my headphone amp I have the opamp performing gain and servo and then out to the buffer. This is a very different implementation to previous amps I had and benefits from being DC coupled with zero capacitors in the signal path. So this is how things "Seem" to me.
The AD797BRZ is really quite good and I have lived with it for a long time but have found better. The short-comings, for me, are a narrower sound stage (feels triangular) and less distinct separation of sounds compared to my current favorites. The trebble is a bit forward for my liking on cymbals.
The LME49720HA is another quite good one, but it has a shallower more 2D sound-stage and feels less dynamic and involving. The trebble can sometimes feel plastic. Sounds solid state.
The LME49860, no matter what anyone says, it not the LME49720. It has a warmer mid, better bass, better separation and better, more distinct details. It is a better opamp than then 49720. (I just A-B'd them a few times right now again and it's obvious.)
The LME49990 (discontinued! Why??) is another step up. Smoother, more coherent, good detail retrieval, more involving than the 49720. Was my longtime favorite until the Bursons.
OPA1692 is really good. Very detailed and fast. Hard to find a fault with it. In the Xonar it was too bright if in I/V and Buffer. If in I/V then it benefits from something warmer in buffer. Dark background and involving with really tight bass. Great for electronic.
Just to cause trouble :) The Xonar came with the JRC2114D which everyone can agree was dull and flat in the Xonar. In my headphone amp it is not dull or veiled. It is actually really nice, almost tube like in its presentation. The bass is maybe slightly wooly, but not offensively so. It's really nice and relaxing to listen to. (Different circuit, different results. This one surprised me)
So why mention all these opamps, just to come to the Burson or Sparkos? Well, they do everything right that the other chip opamps do, but a little better. Everything is just that touch clearer, silkier, faster, better decay, cleaner separation.

That is why I called it a pinnacle because as for opamp technology right now they are at the top. But the other opamps are also good. If I had to give up my Bursons and only use a chip opamp, what would it be? The OPA2209. This one might even have better decay than the Bursons with reverb trails that are captivating. Fantastic bass that is tight and great dynamics. So, if you want the best get a Bursons V5 SS or a Sparkos. If you want a really, really good 2nd best get the OPA2209. Either way, the circuit you stick them in matters.
Tnx for the detailed info =)

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #6,888 of 7,383
I have not had the chance to hear the famous OPA627. I would have to spend $100 to give it a listen. How about you try the OPA2209 and give us a comparison from your point of view.
Not missing much as genuine 627BP is is way overpriced and not too happy when rolled blindly, all you get is a thick dark sound.

ADA4627-1B is another story, meant to trump it.

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #6,889 of 7,383
Not missing much as genuine 627BP is is way overpriced and not too happy when rolled blindly, all you get is a thick dark sound.

ADA4627-1B is another story, meant to trump it.
well, I don’t hear anything dark or thick. So I guess it’s also about how it is implemented? I possess the Dethonray HA-2. It has two of the TI OPA627 (for left and right channel). Don’t know if that says anything. As said, I am a noob and probably want to stay a noob, haha, because no time and money (or nerves) for opamp rolling. Hmmm. But I have learned a bit, if that’s for any good :)

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #6,890 of 7,383
Are the four amps of OPA4209 in parallel enough for a headphone amp driver stage?

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #6,891 of 7,383
Has anyone here used any OPA627AUs with an SOIC to DIP adapter? I have 4 AUs, and two of them came pre-soldered to the adapter already. Did a lot of research on the real / fake versions of these guys, so I made sure the chips I purchased were definitely legit. But so far, neither pair of the AUs will work with my FIIO E12 DIY portable amplifier; I don't understand it, honestly. I've also seen pictures of what looks like some extra / different soldering on other people's adapters using these than what I've tried / have, but being the novice that I am with electronic components and soldering I really wouldn't know or understand what the difference is between the two. The DIY works fine with any other op-amps, too; it's just these that have the issue.

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #6,892 of 7,383
Has anyone here used any OPA627AUs with an SOIC to DIP adapter? I have 4 AUs, and two of them came pre-soldered to the adapter already. Did a lot of research on the real / fake versions of these guys, so I made sure the chips I purchased were definitely legit. But so far, neither pair of the AUs will work with my FIIO E12 DIY portable amplifier; I don't understand it, honestly. I've also seen pictures of what looks like some extra / different soldering on other people's adapters using these than what I've tried / have, but being the novice that I am with electronic components and soldering I really wouldn't know or understand what the difference is between the two. The DIY works fine with any other op-amps, too; it's just these that have the issue.
OPA627 is single opamp while E12 DIY takes dual channel opamp. Unless you have the 2 OPA627's installed on the apadter.

Mar 11, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #6,893 of 7,383
OPA627 is single opamp while E12 DIY takes dual channel opamp. Unless you have the 2 OPA627's installed on the apadter.
Yeah, I've got two a piece installed on the adapters.

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #6,894 of 7,383
I just got a Burson V6 Vivid and stuck it in my Xduoo 05+. Initial impressions are VERY good. I've got 6 TIs and the Muse 02 at the moment for testing. V6 is FAR better than any of the TI's and it's not subtle. It's bold and rippling with detail and power. Instant love. Will post a more in depth review.
IMG_20200326_172145 (2).jpg

Apr 11, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #6,895 of 7,383
I bought 2 Opa2228 for my Topping A50. The sound is now warm and very clean. I'm happy ^^

LME49720 are installed as standard. Is the difference to these big?

E: In addition I bought LME49860 but with this I have strong distortions. It may be because of the circuit of the A50.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #6,896 of 7,383
IF you enjoy the OPA2228 the Burson V6 is next level. Not that the 2228 is bad, it isn't. V6 is a step up in extension, control, texture, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back