The Opamp thread
Feb 28, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #6,871 of 7,383
OK i've been testing the OPA2227, OPA2228, OPA2134, OPA1612, and the Muses 02. The clear winners for me are the 2227/8 but I think the 8 has a slight edge in high end possibly? Yeah. The Muses 02 is just gorgeous, warm and sexy. I can't put it much differently. Maybe slightly less extended but so so sweet. I love it. I clearly do not like the 1612 and 2134. They sound too cluttered and i dunno, linear vs musical.

Feb 29, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #6,872 of 7,383
OK i've been testing the OPA2227, OPA2228, OPA2134, OPA1612, and the Muses 02. The clear winners for me are the 2227/8 but I think the 8 has a slight edge in high end possibly? Yeah. The Muses 02 is just gorgeous, warm and sexy. I can't put it much differently. Maybe slightly less extended but so so sweet. I love it. I clearly do not like the 1612 and 2134. They sound too cluttered and i dunno, linear vs musical.
Same assessment by me. I just love how OPA2228 sounds in amp section paired with OPA1692 in DAC stage.
But lot of it depends also about implementation and pairing. But overall I think you are describing those opamps spot-on :wink:

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #6,873 of 7,383
OPA2227/OPA2228 versus LME49860 in pre driver of an headphone amp stage?

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #6,875 of 7,383
Have you guys tried the OPA627? This is a good one
I had them in an other headphone amp, but AD797 seems me a bit better.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #6,876 of 7,383
Burson V5 is another great one to try. Between Sparkos and Burson you are jumping straight into the pinnacle of what opamps can do. The cheaper chip opamps are still fun to roll though and teach you what to listen for in opamps. AD797 and LME49720 and LME49860 are some staples that you should try. Playing with those, including the Muses 02, will show you what Burson and Sparkos deliver.

When reading this review

http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/burson-audio-v5i-opamp/

it seems that the burson is more of a side grade from eg OPA627.
Pinnacle is always also bias, no? One likes more the center staged/ mid focused sound, the other the separation or soundstage etc.
I had them in an other headphone amp, but AD797 seems me a bit better.
„Seems“ means you can’t say for sure, right? :wink:
And what does „better“ mean to you? What’s better for some guy (more basssss) isn’t better for the other guy.
Also I quote someone concerning the AD797:
„ the AD797 is not a good chip for headphone amplifiers, it's designed for a very high open gain with low noise in curcuits like microphone amp and phono stage amps.“

Would you differ from his statement? If so, how?

Also I‘d like to ask you guys who know what they are speaking about (I am not, I just pretend ahahahaha because I am completely new to the opamp thing and have not bought a new opamp and probably won’t do it except I am 100% sure it’s worth) if you think that it is good to change the OPA627 from this portable headphone amp that is also made for opamp switching:
https://penonaudio.com/dethonray-hpamp-ha-2.html?tag=DETHONRAY HPAMP HA-2
Thing is: I am pritty happy with it in getting a balanced sound with lots of details and good width (in comparison to the Vorzamp Duo II that I also have and that amp gives me the midcentric (plus bass) sound I am not so fond of) ... that’s why I guess the Burson V5i isn’t something for me (when believing the guy who wrote the review I posted above.

So is there an „upgrade“ possible without sacrificing anything I really like about that sound? What about the Sparkos? Are they „spark(os)ley“?

Thanks for any input. I am completely new to this, as said above. And to be honest, I better don’t want to dig too deep into that opamp thing as I dig once very deep into the IEM „tip rolling“ thing and never got out of it again until I sold every IEM and got me the Stellia :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #6,877 of 7,383
IMG_20200224_171807_1.jpg
IMG_20200224_171811.jpg
IMG_20200224_171820.jpg

Hi everyone. Can anyone kindly advice if the 48710HA op amp in the picture if real or fake? Thank you!

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #6,878 of 7,383

Attachments

• LME49710.pdf
    817.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 3, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #6,881 of 7,383
these are out of production though, no?

isn't it likely the ones out now are fake?
I think no, I have LME49710HA (single) and LME49720HA (dual) in my stock, both coming from the manufacturer direct. They looks like the same case.

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #6,883 of 7,383
When reading this review

http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen.com/burson-audio-v5i-opamp/

it seems that the burson is more of a side grade from eg OPA627.
Pinnacle is always also bias, no? One likes more the center staged/ mid focused sound, the other the separation or soundstage etc.

„Seems“ means you can’t say for sure, right? :wink:
And what does „better“ mean to you? What’s better for some guy (more basssss) isn’t better for the other guy.
Also I quote someone concerning the AD797:
„ the AD797 is not a good chip for headphone amplifiers, it's designed for a very high open gain with low noise in curcuits like microphone amp and phono stage amps.“

Would you differ from his statement? If so, how?

Also I‘d like to ask you guys who know what they are speaking about (I am not, I just pretend ahahahaha because I am completely new to the opamp thing and have not bought a new opamp and probably won’t do it except I am 100% sure it’s worth) if you think that it is good to change the OPA627 from this portable headphone amp that is also made for opamp switching:
https://penonaudio.com/dethonray-hpamp-ha-2.html?tag=DETHONRAY HPAMP HA-2
Thing is: I am pritty happy with it in getting a balanced sound with lots of details and good width (in comparison to the Vorzamp Duo II that I also have and that amp gives me the midcentric (plus bass) sound I am not so fond of) ... that’s why I guess the Burson V5i isn’t something for me (when believing the guy who wrote the review I posted above.

So is there an „upgrade“ possible without sacrificing anything I really like about that sound? What about the Sparkos? Are they „spark(os)ley“?

Thanks for any input. I am completely new to this, as said above. And to be honest, I better don’t want to dig too deep into that opamp thing as I dig once very deep into the IEM „tip rolling“ thing and never got out of it again until I sold every IEM and got me the Stellia :wink:

Pinnacle is less bias and more hirearchy. Stating that some like center staged and mid focused sound while others like separation and sound-stage is bias because it is a preferential choice between the two. The reason why I gave the discreet opamps (Burson V5 SS and Sparkos) the Pinnacle moinker is because they both represent less compromise. They both exceed with separation and sound-stage with intimately staged and focused details while being warm and also fast.

Better for me is that the sound is as closely reproduced to what was recorded.

As for "Seems" ... that is because the implementation matters.
In my headphone amp, these are my impressions which are similar for some opamps and different for others from what they sounded like in the Xonar where you had I/V and a buffer or in something as simple as a CMOY. In my headphone amp I have the opamp performing gain and servo and then out to the buffer. This is a very different implementation to previous amps I had and benefits from being DC coupled with zero capacitors in the signal path. So this is how things "Seem" to me.
The AD797BRZ is really quite good and I have lived with it for a long time but have found better. The short-comings, for me, are a narrower sound stage (feels triangular) and less distinct separation of sounds compared to my current favorites. The trebble is a bit forward for my liking on cymbals.
The LME49720HA is another quite good one, but it has a shallower more 2D sound-stage and feels less dynamic and involving. The trebble can sometimes feel plastic. Sounds solid state.
The LME49860, no matter what anyone says, it not the LME49720. It has a warmer mid, better bass, better separation and better, more distinct details. It is a better opamp than then 49720. (I just A-B'd them a few times right now again and it's obvious.)
The LME49990 (discontinued! Why??) is another step up. Smoother, more coherent, good detail retrieval, more involving than the 49720. Was my longtime favorite until the Bursons.
OPA1692 is really good. Very detailed and fast. Hard to find a fault with it. In the Xonar it was too bright if in I/V and Buffer. If in I/V then it benefits from something warmer in buffer. Dark background and involving with really tight bass. Great for electronic.
Just to cause trouble :) The Xonar came with the JRC2114D which everyone can agree was dull and flat in the Xonar. In my headphone amp it is not dull or veiled. It is actually really nice, almost tube like in its presentation. The bass is maybe slightly wooly, but not offensively so. It's really nice and relaxing to listen to. (Different circuit, different results. This one surprised me)
So why mention all these opamps, just to come to the Burson or Sparkos? Well, they do everything right that the other chip opamps do, but a little better. Everything is just that touch clearer, silkier, faster, better decay, cleaner separation.

That is why I called it a pinnacle because as for opamp technology right now they are at the top. But the other opamps are also good. If I had to give up my Bursons and only use a chip opamp, what would it be? The OPA2209. This one might even have better decay than the Bursons with reverb trails that are captivating. Fantastic bass that is tight and great dynamics. So, if you want the best get a Bursons V5 SS or a Sparkos. If you want a really, really good 2nd best get the OPA2209. Either way, the circuit you stick them in matters.

Mar 3, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #6,884 of 7,383
Pinnacle is less bias and more hirearchy. Stating that some like center staged and mid focused sound while others like separation and sound-stage is bias because it is a preferential choice between the two. The reason why I gave the discreet opamps (Burson V5 SS and Sparkos) the Pinnacle moinker is because they both represent less compromise. They both exceed with separation and sound-stage with intimately staged and focused details while being warm and also fast.

Better for me is that the sound is as closely reproduced to what was recorded.

As for "Seems" ... that is because the implementation matters.
In my headphone amp, these are my impressions which are similar for some opamps and different for others from what they sounded like in the Xonar where you had I/V and a buffer or in something as simple as a CMOY. In my headphone amp I have the opamp performing gain and servo and then out to the buffer. This is a very different implementation to previous amps I had and benefits from being DC coupled with zero capacitors in the signal path. So this is how things "Seem" to me.
The AD797BRZ is really quite good and I have lived with it for a long time but have found better. The short-comings, for me, are a narrower sound stage (feels triangular) and less distinct separation of sounds compared to my current favorites. The trebble is a bit forward for my liking on cymbals.
The LME49720HA is another quite good one, but it has a shallower more 2D sound-stage and feels less dynamic and involving. The trebble can sometimes feel plastic. Sounds solid state.
The LME49860, no matter what anyone says, it not the LME49720. It has a warmer mid, better bass, better separation and better, more distinct details. It is a better opamp than then 49720. (I just A-B'd them a few times right now again and it's obvious.)
The LME49990 (discontinued! Why??) is another step up. Smoother, more coherent, good detail retrieval, more involving than the 49720. Was my longtime favorite until the Bursons.
OPA1692 is really good. Very detailed and fast. Hard to find a fault with it. In the Xonar it was too bright if in I/V and Buffer. If in I/V then it benefits from something warmer in buffer. Dark background and involving with really tight bass. Great for electronic.
Just to cause trouble :) The Xonar came with the JRC2114D which everyone can agree was dull and flat in the Xonar. In my headphone amp it is not dull or veiled. It is actually really nice, almost tube like in its presentation. The bass is maybe slightly wooly, but not offensively so. It's really nice and relaxing to listen to. (Different circuit, different results. This one surprised me)
So why mention all these opamps, just to come to the Burson or Sparkos? Well, they do everything right that the other chip opamps do, but a little better. Everything is just that touch clearer, silkier, faster, better decay, cleaner separation.

That is why I called it a pinnacle because as for opamp technology right now they are at the top. But the other opamps are also good. If I had to give up my Bursons and only use a chip opamp, what would it be? The OPA2209. This one might even have better decay than the Bursons with reverb trails that are captivating. Fantastic bass that is tight and great dynamics. So, if you want the best get a Bursons V5 SS or a Sparkos. If you want a really, really good 2nd best get the OPA2209. Either way, the circuit you stick them in matters.
Thank you very much for your detailed and informative answer! Have you also heard the OPA627 that comes with my amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back