The Opamp thread
Apr 17, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #6,901 of 7,383
I bought 2 Opa2228 for my Topping A50. The sound is now warm and very clean. I'm happy ^^
IF you enjoy the OPA2228 the Burson V6 is next level. Not that the 2228 is bad, it isn't. V6 is a step up in extension, control, texture, etc.
It all depends on implementation but overall OPA2228 is VERY good and cheap opamp IMHO. Especially when paired with very clean&detailed ultra-low-distortion chips in DAC-differential output like OPA1612AID / OPA1692IDR / AD8599.
I`m settled with OPA1692IDR + OPA2228 - so open, airy, natural "smooth" timbre but with awesome transparency, layering, clarity and micro-details at same time.

Apr 17, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #6,902 of 7,383
I still have a topping D10 as a DAC an a topping E30. I like the topping D10 a lot, although it is cheaper.
With the D10 you can change the op-amp. I am considering buying the OPA1692 because you are satisfied with it or with this combination.
sorry for my english.

Apr 19, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #6,903 of 7,383
I still have a topping D10 as a DAC an a topping E30. I like the topping D10 a lot, although it is cheaper.
With the D10 you can change the op-amp. I am considering buying the OPA1692 because you are satisfied with it or with this combination.
sorry for my english.
Note that OPA1692IDR is SOIC-8 and needs adapter to use with D10.

Apr 26, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #6,904 of 7,383
Messing with my Xduoo today. Got the capacitor right near my sockets out of the way... whew.
1587940027169.png

Now with V6 Vivid:

1587940058845.png

May 26, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #6,907 of 7,383
I have never had ADA4610 actually. I want to try that one soon
Hello Imran,

Thank you for your response! I have some ADA4610 lying around and I wonder if they were suitable for cases where both the inputs are being used like a differential amplifier or summer stage. Unfortunately Analog does not provide large signal responses for inverting input (negative gain) in the data sheet. And I am just an amateur, able to solder and happy to be able to interpret some data with the help of people like you.

OPA1692 seems very good suited for a a differential amplifier or summer stage as you already explained.

Thanks again,

Martin

May 28, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #6,909 of 7,383
Has anyone tried the OPA1656 Op Amp yet?

They will use a bit more power when compared to something like the OPA1692, but they are getting very high praise as being exceptionally musical.

Rob43

I run opa1656 in my modded HA21. It partially depends on your circuit and some doesn't make opamps sound drastically different.

I think 1656 is better than 1692 in my gear. OPA2210 is also a good chip if it works.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #6,910 of 7,383
I think 1656 is better than 1692 in my gear.

Actually this is related to my question. I have both the Opa1692 and the Opa1656. The Opa1692 is bi polar op amp and Opa1656 is CMOS.

What are the difference between CMOS, Bi Polar, and jfets Op Amp amps sonically? When and where to choose one or the other ? What “combos” work best in certain modular/stage chains?

Lastly, not often mentioned about the Opa1692 is that not only does it have a wide voltage range, it ONLY consumes 650 µA per Channel! These bad boys give you impressive battery life in portable music players/headphones without compromising high audio performance- they are simply amazing for this application!

The Opa1692 is one of the best audio op amps ever made for what it achieves! (IMHO).

I also agree with someone who talked about the best combinations for the Opa2228 and the Opa1692 being a good choice. If you get that sucker (opa2228) stable, Combined with Opa1692 or Opa1612/2211- Holy Crap it’s sounds amazing. (Haven’t tried it with AD8599 yet). It just comes alive and the soundstage is deep, transparent and the timbre is warm (with NO harsh tremble) and tender. Oh my and lush!

Getting back to the Opa1692 my only “complaint” is I wish the Opa1692 had a higher GBW; it’s only about 5.5. But with the and higher slew rate some compromises had to be met so it could make its benchmarks for low power consumption w/o sacrificing performance. That said, make no mistake about it, it’s bad*** af!

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #6,911 of 7,383
Actually this is related to my question. I have both the Opa1692 and the Opa1656. The Opa1692 is bi polar op amp and Opa1656 is CMOS.

What are the difference between CMOS, Bi Polar, and jfets Op Amp amps sonically? When and where to choose one or the other ? What “combos” work best in certain modular/stage chains?

Lastly, not often mentioned about the Opa1692 is that not only does it have a wide voltage range, it ONLY consumes 650 µA per Channel! These bad boys give you impressive battery life in portable music players/headphones without compromising high audio performance- they are simply amazing for this application!

The Opa1692 is one of the best audio op amps ever made for what it achieves! (IMHO).

I also agree with someone who talked about the best combinations for the Opa2228 and the Opa1692 being a good choice. If you get that sucker (opa2228) stable, Combined with Opa1692 or Opa1612/2211- Holy Crap it’s sounds amazing. (Haven’t tried it with AD8599 yet). It just comes alive and the soundstage is deep, transparent and the timbre is warm (with NO harsh tremble) and tender. Oh my and lush!

Getting back to the Opa1692 my only “complaint” is I wish the Opa1692 had a higher GBW; it’s only about 5.5. But with the and higher slew rate some compromises had to be met so it could make its benchmarks for low power consumption w/o sacrificing performance. That said, make no mistake about it, it’s bad*** af!

It really depends on your circuit. I have several amps that takes dip-8 opamps, and I have found not all make a difference. In my particular amp, opa1692 has narrower sound stage than opa1656, as 1692 is designed for portbable use with trade-off (low power draw).

Bipolar or FET or CMOS depends on application due to noise type. Bipolar rejects current noise better, while the other two voltage noise generally speaking. But opa1656 is just lower noise & lower distortion than opa1692 according to datasheet. So in your particular case, I don't think that input stage matters a lot to you.

BTW, my to go choice for BJT opamp is opa1612, which is excellent in specs and stable in most of my amps.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #6,912 of 7,383
BTW, my to go choice for BJT opamp is opa1612, which is excellent in specs and stable in most of my amps.

Have you tried Opa2156? It too is CMOS audio amp. I plan on getting some soon!

I agree with you on opa1692 being too narrow compared to the Opa1656. The Opa1656 has a much wider and better soundstage.

Ha ha it's funny because I'm a wide and far reached detailed and accurate fanboy and some people find too many details to be annoying.

I prefer the opa2211 over the opa1612 (same chip but with less better specs). The Opa1612 is the audio version so they made the specs slightly worse. Just feel the better spec’d amp is better for the circuit (performance/health wise).

I really love LT1028! It's power-hungry, thou. The LT1028 is by far better than the Opa1692. I would describe the LT1028 as a digitally clean sound. Some may prefer more noise with less resolution. I listen mostly to DSD files with 1-bit rate so it's already at low resolution so it ”sounds” more musicial and natural (whatever that means?). However, at higher resolution 24 bit or above in PCM it will sound clinical if the noise levels and op amp/circuit performs at the high res levels.

The reason is that like a HD resolution in tvs, the imaging and clarity changes and improves. That's why in lower resolution like 16 bit they add noise aka Dithering to smooth out some distortion and actually makes it sound pleasant and fluid in files and from track-to-track. I like a little bit of noise myself when its pleasant.

I would imagine CMOS opamp hit their spec sheets performance in CMOS audio application. Meaning the audio circuit designed for them.

I've actually used CMOS LDOs designed for audio and they improve the noise levels immensely! There is a paper out there that I read online comparing the Opa1656 to Opa1612. If I remember correctly in some areas the Opa1656 outperforms the Opa1612 however, CMOS still don’t outperform across the frequency spectrum because CMOS aren’t at ultra low noise levels that bi polar can easily perform from in-put current and output noise??? Something like that.

CMOS look promising for the future when/if they start outperforming even BJTs. CMOS may also be more accurate since most of the best clocks for low powered devices and low frequencies are made from CMOS. It's actually fascinating to read the CMOS and its potential today! At first, like in the 1960s it was hard to stabilize and control them but now...

I like Fets not as clear and less “airy” as bipolar but they are more musical with really pleasant and less fatiguing soundstages in my opinion. They can sound grainy but that depends on the circuit what application it’s in. Some believe Jfets/Fets sound tuber, unnatural and less open. I don’t though.

Just about to order some lt6018 which is supposed to be the upgrade to the lt1028. Also wanna pick up some opa2277 similar specs to Opa1692. Has anybody heard them before??

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #6,914 of 7,383
I have an AMP that uses 2 dual op amps (left and right). can I also use single op amps?
if it designed to work with dual opamps, no, you can't just swap them. but you can use 4 single opamps with 2 'single to dual' adapters.. especially in case if you want to try spesific single opamps, say, opa627 or ad797 etc..

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #6,915 of 7,383
Hi Imran,
were you ever able to compare ADA4610 to others?
Thank you very much!
:)

I have ADA4610-2, ADA4637-1and ADA4625-2 in the ADA46** series

A lot of DIY audio community compares them to the famous Burr-Brown JFETS Opa627 and Opa637.

Spec-wise they are almost on par but the soundstages sound totally different in my opinion.

To me, the Burr-Brown laid back sound is almost exclusively heard on those chips and ADI also have quick bass response and the soundstage is just more pronounced in a good way!

The ADI chips in my opinion do not have the deep soundstage as the Burr-Browns with exception of a few but they have excellent bass response and are fast af!

If I had to recommend that I have in the ADA46** family would be ADA4625. It’s the fastest and cleanest JFET and newest. They also have ADI Fast settling which definitely works! These chips are fast!

ADA46** family are also less aggressive unlike other ADI chips.

These chips sound fantastic In Bass intensive music (like dance music, electronic and an intimate soundstage of acoustic music like Jazz in my opinion.

ADI and LME (National chips) have similar traits of power, fast and excellent low frequency response. But again sound totally different.

For personal use, I like most of TI Burr-Browns and some LT chips but If I’m having party or am listening to a particular music Genre I know it would sound better- hands down ADI and the LT are the way to go for me. There’s also the portable vs home entertainment difference which is yet another rabbit hole. Haha

I don’t have any NJC op amps but the MUSE series specs don’t knock me out of seat when I read them for the price but I don’t own them to say how they sound!

In Layman’s terms each high quality audio op amp sound great but present a different ambience and for each setup portable vs home there’s different recommendations so-to-speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back