The Opamp thread
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #6,211 of 7,383
Does anyone know what the "SQ" suffix is about on Analogue Devices?

I was searching for the TO99 version of AD712 and Farnell have this SQ version on their site for circa £33 + VAT. I don't know anything about the SQ but assume it means something like 'Superior Quality'?? Anyone have experience or knowledge of this? I love the 712 but not for that sort of cash unless there is a reason... There are several other AD chips with this suffix on Farnell. Colour me curious...
SQ should be industrial grade. Or could be commercial grade.
Different grades within "inudustrial" and "commercial" for different purposes, too. Could also be "automotive", but I think "SQ" is industrial. They've got "space grade", too.

Btw,

I would like other opinions as well on bypassing opamp power rails and how it affects sound with respect to different capacitors like Nichicon PW/VZ, Panasonic FM, UCC KZE, etc.

To my ears, Nichicon VZ sound like tubes, Nichicon PW sound like extremely reference and extended, point blank precision, UCC KZE sound like a middle ground of the two: like a tube+SS hybrid.

Haven't tried Panasonic FM yet.
I've tried KZE on PSU rails. I also felt that it has tube-like sound, plus great bass.

The one time I tried PW, it added hideous coloration to the midrange. Same for FM, but my Purity Audio KICAS discrete amp has big ol' FM caps in the PSU rails with none of the ugliness, so it definitely depends on how you implement the caps in the design.

There's a list of Rubycon caps that I want to play with to see if I find a worthy "successor" to my favorite, now-discontinued Rubycon capacitor.

Vishay MKP1839 160V film caps are still my favorite caps for PSU rails right on or next to opamp legs, followed by 630V and 400V WIMAs if I need to spend a little less.

I have sworn by Panasonic Oscons for PSU rails in digital circuitry for years and still do, they are the best for that.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #6,213 of 7,383
Hey my xd-05 xduuo with burson v5i-d just blew out for some reason. wasnt on high gain or anything, my headphones are fine. Anyways can anyone recommend something to replace this? Don't know whats good these days.

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #6,215 of 7,383
Hey my xd-05 xduuo with burson v5i-d just blew out for some reason. wasnt on high gain or anything, my headphones are fine. Anyways can anyone recommend something to replace this? Don't know whats good these days.
If you use your portable amps for gaming and movies I'd go with usb dacs since they are now implementing hardware decoding or simply a cell phone with a really good music app. I find it funny how a circuit less than 5oz can out-perform these 5 pound power hungry amps these days.

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #6,216 of 7,383
I've got three V5is that are blown up in different ways....I'm not so sure about them any more...meanwhile the $17 eBay offering still plugs along.

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #6,223 of 7,383
SQ should be industrial grade. Or could be commercial grade.
Different grades within "inudustrial" and "commercial" for different purposes, too. Could also be "automotive", but I think "SQ" is industrial. They've got "space grade", too.

I've tried KZE on PSU rails. I also felt that it has tube-like sound, plus great bass.

The one time I tried PW, it added hideous coloration to the midrange. Same for FM, but my Purity Audio KICAS discrete amp has big ol' FM caps in the PSU rails with none of the ugliness, so it definitely depends on how you implement the caps in the design.

There's a list of Rubycon caps that I want to play with to see if I find a worthy "successor" to my favorite, now-discontinued Rubycon capacitor.

Vishay MKP1839 160V film caps are still my favorite caps for PSU rails right on or next to opamp legs, followed by 630V and 400V WIMAs if I need to spend a little less.

I have sworn by Panasonic Oscons for PSU rails in digital circuitry for years and still do, they are the best for that.
Panasonic FR are also very good in PSU filtering.
For HO/LO output caps I personally really like Panasonic FC`s... tested them against many other panasonic`s, nichicon`s (FG, FW, KW, KA, PW etc.) and also some poscaps.
To me they give immense open soundstage and layering experience with plenty of detail and stay natural sounding, neutral sided but with hint of warmth.
Love how FR + FC sound together. Never tried hi-end "snake oil" caps though.
Sorry for OT and maybe I was out of context, just wanted to share my experience.

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #6,225 of 7,383
Hey guys, relative newby here. I asked I've forwarded the below details to Burson (no response from them yet) but wanted to see if there's any feedback I can get from the folks here. Reading about some of the reliability comments of these V5i I'm hoping this is not bad news. The PC card is an Asus Essence STX II.

I’ve purchased from you a total of 3 of the V5i Dual Opamp chips. I smiled when I first listened to them on the Asus card, they were well worth the money! Problem is that after having them installed for about 10 days or so, I’ve developed random pops on both the left and right channels. It’s a pop similar to what you’d hear if you put a 9v battery to a speaker a thud/pop type sound. It’s completely random and It can go hours without doing it and then will do it sporadically at a rate of once or twice a minute again on the left and right channels.

It does this on different amps so I’ve ruled that out and on different RCA cables so I’ve ruled that out. I can put the original Opamps back in the card to see if the problem goes away but at this point I thought I’d reach out to you guys to see if you’d had any type of experience with this issue on these Asus cards.

In addition to this, I can add a couple more details. The pops happen sometimes when there is no audio. I can go hours before they happen or not happen at all. Obviously if the amp is off the pops don't happen so it's clearly an input signal issue since I've confirmed it happens (via the card's RCA outs) on different amps. It's never done this before I installed the Burson opamps and I've gone back and confirmedALL connections are clean and solid as well as re-seating the card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back