The Opamp thread
Oct 20, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #6,241 of 7,383
How are you guys getting support from Burson? I've diagnosed an issue to a faulty V5i-D on my Asus STX II card. It's the one I was using in the buffer. I'd posted the symptoms a page or so ago. It's not giving me any warm fuzzy though trying to get support. I've received one email from then (someone by the name of Alex) way back on the 10th of the month. No response to three follow up emails now.

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #6,242 of 7,383
How are you guys getting support from Burson? I've diagnosed an issue to a faulty V5i-D on my Asus STX II card. It's the one I was using in the buffer. I'd posted the symptoms a page or so ago. It's not giving me any warm fuzzy though trying to get support. I've received one email from then (someone by the name of Alex) way back on the 10th of the month. No response to three follow up emails now.
@SS-Audio Charles?

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #6,244 of 7,383

Hey guys, hoping to get some guidance and next steps/options here. I’ve purchased from you a total of 3 of the V5i Dual Opamp chips. I smiled when I first listened to them on the Asus card, they were well worth the money! Problem is that after having them installed for about 10 days or so, I’ve developed random pops on both the left and right channels. It’s a pop similar to what you’d hear if you put a 9v battery to a speaker a thud/pop type sound. It’s completely random and It can go hours without doing it and then will do it sporadically at a race of once or twice a minute again on the left and right channels.

It does this on different amps so I’ve ruled that out and on different RCA cables so I’ve ruled that out. I can put the original Opamps back in the card to see if the problem goes away but at this point I thought I’d reach out to you guys to see if you’d had any type of experience with this issue on these Asus cards.

Hi

Apologies for this situation but please be assured that your opamps are covered by a life-time warranty.

It sounds like one or more of the V5i-D.

Firstly, please replace the one indicated in the photo below with your original opamp. Does the noise now go away? Does it resolve the noise issue on one of the channels?

(the photo outlines the buffer opamp location)

Best regards,
Alex

Okay, removed the offending opamp and it’s been working trouble free since. Does that mean that the one you had me remove is defective? I know that one is the buffer, seem like you’ve seen this type of problem before. How do I get this one swapped?

This is the basic exchange so far, and a couple of followup emails asking for a clarification on what's the next step. I didn't see an official way to engage support on the Burson site.

Oct 22, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #6,247 of 7,383
No, I thought I'd be using this with muses01 dipped...
20181022_162910.jpg

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #6,250 of 7,383
Many highly knowledgeable audio ppl keep saying that any record went through armies of 5532's so what higher res opamp will allow you to hear is what nobody ever heard or cared for in the audio chain, from recording to mastering: static, distortion, hiss, you name it....and it's hard to deny tbh when going ADA4627-1B for instance, it's all about finding the right balance and 602BP does just that :)

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #6,251 of 7,383
OPA602AP is in my stock too and I had tested them in my WNA MKII headphone amp. My current favorite AD797.

All tested OPAs in WNA MKII:
LM6171 (designed for), LME49710, AD843, AD847, LT1056, LT1022, OPA602(AP), TLE2071, OPA627, Supreme Sound Opamp V5, AD797

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #6,252 of 7,383
797 cannot be rolled blindly, it's not even unity gain stable IIRC hence its SS will be very colored, trebles quite shrill and it'll get super hot too.

when rolling blindly it's better to go for highest grade as that improve stability somewhat due to higher tolerances, easy to hear with LT1028/1028A & OPA627A/B. Hard to believe they're even the same chips and they were all sourced from authorized dealers.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #6,254 of 7,383
What do you mean by "rolled blindly"?

Some opamps have very specific circuitry requirements otherwise they become unstable so you can't just blindly use them if you don't understand how the circuit they are in works.

For instance some circuits use capacitors in the feedback loop to reduce or remove any gain on certain frequency ranges but if the opamp isn't stable i.e. isn't unity gain stable with that setup all kinds of undesirable things can happen even potentially the opamp killing itself.

797 IIRC is pretty demanding on the placement and values of capacitors close to its power supply pins otherwise you tend to get a lot of problems with it especially if you are using it in a DIY fashion on prototype/breadboard, socket adapters or non-soldered.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #6,255 of 7,383
I use some caps near the OPA power-pins. The schema and the board is designed for LM6171 - this OPA is a high-speed “diva“!

WNA_MKII_schema_amp_%281030x640%29.png

wna_P1000391_L.JPG

wna_P1000154_l.JPG

wna_P1000158_l.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back