The Opamp thread
Sep 15, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #6,187 of 7,383
Maybe you should look again at the IC chips, and reconsider.

Do you know that dual transistors and fets come in 6 pins SMDs? So they can be discrete indeed.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to know what's their schematics.

Sep 15, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #6,188 of 7,383
Maybe you should look again at the IC chips, and reconsider.

Do you know that dual transistors and fets come in 6 pins SMDs? So they can be discrete indeed.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to know what's their schematics.

Yes, I know that. Have you actually soldered them into place and used them in a circuit? I have. The "THAT Corporation" transistor arrays seem particularly good.

However, even if those are transistor arrays in monolithic packages, that doesn't meet the definition of "discrete."

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #6,189 of 7,383
Maybe we have different definitions of what is discrete.

Transistor arrays, starting with duals, certainly discrete parts for me. With great advantages, like temp sharing and transistor matching, which are difficult and expensive to accomplish with separate parts.

Quite different from an opamp, which is a complete circuit inside.

In any case, the question would be to get a schematic showing what's inside, and try one, of course.

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #6,190 of 7,383

Transistor arrays, starting with duals, certainly discrete parts for me. With great advantages, like temp sharing and transistor matching, which are difficult and expensive to accomplish with separate parts.

In any case, the question would be to get a schematic showing what's inside, and try one, of course.

Look here, you found some dual JFETs and dual BJTs
http://www.linearsystems.com/product.html

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #6,191 of 7,383

Some transistor arrays come pre-biased with resistors inside. Or, they have diodes, too. You are correct that we really don't know unless we see a schematic. However, I think the combination of 6-pin monolithic chips, Douk Audio, ebay, and non-English sourcing/description leads to a strong suspicion that their description of "discrete" might be a stretch.:)

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #6,192 of 7,383
Sep 26, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #6,195 of 7,383
OK, I inserted this little opamp today and have let it play now for 8 hours or so....

It is not a downgrade from the Burson V5i it may be a slight bit "mellower", but that's more of a fleeting impression...

More later if I get time to do critical tests.
We look forward to your tests. I heard this space-like opamp is bright sounding. I guess you'll find out if it's true or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back