The Official World Cup 2006 thread
Jun 24, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #61 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
The reason it was NOT an offside was that the ball ball was deflected into Frei's path by a Korean defender.

The thing was, though, the flag was raised. Players tend to stop play and slow down when they see a flag raised.

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #62 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
The reason it was NOT an offside was that the ball ball was deflected into Frei's path by a Korean defender.

It doesnt matter if it was deflected only if it was passed by the opposing team.

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #63 of 171
The refereeing has been pretty disgusting throughout, but I think the hammer fell hardest on the USA, especially since we were in a tough group.

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #64 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
The thing was, though, the flag was raised. Players tend to stop play and slow down when they see a flag raised.

They have no reason to. The flag is a signal to the referee not to the players. The referee can choose to over rule it rather like an umpire in tennis on a line call. A flag is raised for any offence so it could quite easily be a foul and the ref chooses to play advantage.

I haven't seen the incident myself so I cant comment but it seems unlikely it would have changed things too much given France winning by 2 clear goals.

As for refereeing overall I think people are going a touch overboard. There has been some bad refereeing but a good chunk of the games have been perfectly well officiated. There have been a few too many fouls and yellow cards but this always happens at a world cup as FIFA choose to bring in new directives before each tournament. Seems a silly place to road test things. A lot has been made of wrong offside decisions but these happen regularly as it is near impossible to get these right when they are close as the assistant has to be looking in two places at the same instant.

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #65 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echo_
It doesnt matter if it was deflected only if it was passed by the opposing team.

It was a pass to the goalie by the korean defender, whether it is deliberate or not, that's another story. He could argue with the referee (and I think that's what happened during the game) that the pass was just a bad timing and was not intended to pass back to the goalie, however the referee didn't buy that.

Also for players with a good passing technique, a pass can be made with a deflection. There is no clear cut between a pass and a deflection.

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #66 of 171
Holy ****. What an end.
eek.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #67 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by zChan
Holy ****. What an end.
eek.gif

Most definetly
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #70 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Australia deserved to win.

that's what everyone says when their team loses against Italy
evil_smiley.gif

It feels so much better to be crushed by Brazil or Germany
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #71 of 171
Ref's are getting in the way. A good ref should hardly be noticeable. If Italy would have scored on the attack it would have been fair but for the Aussies to lose it in the dying seconds by a penalty after having 60% possession was just too unfair.

The Italian that was sent off shouldn't have been sent off for what he did.

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #72 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Ref's are getting in the way. A good ref should hardly be noticeable. If Italy would have scored on the attack it would have been fair but for the Aussies to lose it in the dying seconds by a penalty after having 60% possession was just too unfair.

The Italian that was sent off shouldn't have been sent off for what he did.

Yeah, that was horrendous. I don't like to whine about the refs too much, but there is no excuse for giving that penalty kick. The ref lost that game for australia. I would even be disappointed if I were an Italy fan.

Jun 27, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #73 of 171
I gotta admit, the Italian defence was hard to break through. Although the aussies had all the possesion throughout the second half, they couldnt get some decent balls in. If Italy had the extra member still in, they would more be dominating. Overall, bad luck for the Aussies, they tried their best.

Jun 27, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #74 of 171
Indeed. It's Italian team's style to hold back a little and frustrate the opponent with their steel like defense. Nobody likes to lose, especially with dominating ball possession, but that's life(or is it referee?
icon10.gif
)
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
that's what everyone says when their team loses against Italy
evil_smiley.gif

It feels so much better to be crushed by Brazil or Germany
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back