The Official World Cup 2006 thread
Jun 27, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #76 of 171
Reffing in this world cup has been horrendously bad.

My favorite event: Croatian player receiving three yellow cards in the Australia vs. Croatia match.
rolleyes.gif

Next up: baseball with four outs!

-Matt

Jun 27, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #77 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I think the rule is that yellow card count is reset to zero after the first round. So the first game of round 16 everyone will be available.

No, Michael Essien will not be available because of two yellow cards.

-Matt

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #78 of 171
We were robbed, plain and simple.

I'd like see the Italians try that diving/playing for the foul bullsh*t next time they play us in Rugby, they'd get they're heads stomped and we will beat them like we always do.

Bloody sissy sport.

Jun 27, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #79 of 171
i went to the game, one of the saddest sporting events iv ever seen. We had italy! it was 11 men against 10, we were almost in extra time, then the guy throws himself down, PENALTY! Iv never been so gutted. The socceroos have done us proud though, the world will now realize that we can play other sports...

Jun 27, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #80 of 171
I'm really tired of all this Soccoroo balloony, or for that matter any 'new' team on the block who wishes to reach the final... World cup is one of the toughest sporting competitions in the world, and many of the top teams have been playing for ages and have a roster of talent at home. You don't expect to simply win the cup on your 'occasional appearance' or because you have a successful swimming team. Get real people.

Stick with Rugby, but then again you're not even good at that - All Blacks Baby!

Jun 27, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #81 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
I'm really tired of all this Soccoroo balloony, or for that matter any 'new' team on the block who wishes to reach the final... World cup is one of the toughest sporting competitions in the world, and many of the top teams have been playing for ages and have a roster of talent at home. You don't expect to simply win the cup on your 'occasional appearance' or because you have a successful swimming team. Get real people.

Stick with Rugby, but then again you're not even good at that - All Blacks Baby!

thats not what we are complaining about, we are complaining the way that we were kicked out of the World Cup. We did not have high expectations, but exceeded all of them. It seems as if the world wanted the socceroos out, we had a chance, it was blown by the ref.

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #82 of 171
Italy played the better football. I dont think the Aussies deserved to win, just because they had 60% of the ball or whatever, doesnt mean that they were in control of the game, cant really blame the ref for the penalty decision, the tackle was early and the defender missed the ball, therefore all the player had to do was fall over the defender and the penalty was awarded, I mean such situations could easily be resolved by a "Third Umpire" like in Cricket, however that is not how the game works.

Jun 27, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #86 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Australia played much, much better than Italy and deserved to win. The Italians were lucky to get through.

the Italians were very very lucky, and the Aussies were great at circulating the ball, but for me playing better means creating more opportunities to score. The Italians could have been 2-0 after 20' and had two more clean opportunities to score in the first half. The Australians had their chances (none very close) in the second half, but that was only after the ref red-carded the Italian defender in his first questionable decision of the match...

Jun 27, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #87 of 171
Ghana have some great chances however they are lack of finishing touch and bit of luck. 2 of Brazilian goals should be an offside though. Brazil did have the best attacking formation so far.

Jun 27, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #89 of 171
Ghana had no chance vs Brasil. They got too nervous and couldn't really get past the Brasilian defense.

Jun 27, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #90 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Australia played much, much better than Italy and deserved to win. The Italians were lucky to get through.

I firmly agree. Italy did [size=medium]NOT[/size] deserve that penalty either.

It's not real hard to defend when you're entire bloody team is playing behind the ball 90% of the time.
So what if they were down to 10 men? Gee, that meant they could only have 9 permanent defenders the poor things, it's a miracle they were able to cope!

Australia 0 Italy 0 Referee 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back