The Official World Cup 2006 thread
Jun 27, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #91 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk
I firmly agree. Italy did [size=medium]NOT[/size] deserve that penalty either.

It's not real hard to defend when you're entire bloody team is playing behind the ball 90% of the time.
So what if they were down to 10 men? Gee, that meant they could only have 9 permanent defenders the poor things, it's a miracle they were able to cope!

Australia 0 Italy 0 Referee 1.

It is still hard to soak up all that pressure at a professional level. The Aussies showed a sevre lack of ambition by sticking with one up front for so long. Italy still carved out 2 or 3 good chances on the counter and had much the better of the first half. Australia by contrast, for all the possession they had failed to carve out many decent chances. Italy always looked more dangerous in truth and whilst no it wasn't a penalty, Neale had mucked up and if the Italian hadn't dived they'd have probably scored anyway with a 2 on 1 about 6 yards out. It's a shame that Australia went out as they had a great chance to go through but they didn't take advantage of it, despite what poor decision may have eventually led to them losing.

Jun 28, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #92 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Ghana had no chance vs Brasil. They got too nervous and couldn't really get past the Brasilian defense.

Hm, I don't know about that. I think Ghana outplayed Brazil for a lot of the game, they just couldn't finish. Brazil played alright, but they just have people who can put the ball in the net. The game was much closer than the score implies, but I think ghana were tired and kind of gave up after the second goal. I guess it's a testament to how good Brazil is, though, that they can have a game so close and still win 3-0.

Jun 28, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #93 of 171
Well in my eyes it was a very entertaining game of football. Its how it should be played, with both teams wanting to win and committing players to go forward. Ghana showed their lack of experience by giving away some silly fouls but gave Brazil the hardest game they have faced yet. It was a very open game. Ghana can leave Germany with their heads held high. One to watch for the future...

Jul 2, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #95 of 171
FRA is going all the way
basshead.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #96 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Hm, I don't know about that. I think Ghana outplayed Brazil for a lot of the game, they just couldn't finish. Brazil played alright, but they just have people who can put the ball in the net. The game was much closer than the score implies, but I think ghana were tired and kind of gave up after the second goal. I guess it's a testament to how good Brazil is, though, that they can have a game so close and still win 3-0.

Ghana played their group games with confidence. I think it was the whole "OMG we're playing Brasil" mentality that lost them alot of edge. Their goal shots were unusually more off-target. You could see it in their dribbling and passing game. They had alot of pressure on them, physically and mentally.

Jul 3, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #100 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
Brazil lost to France. Whoa.

Yeah I can't believe it either. But, what I'm more surprised about is that france outplayed brazil. France vs portugal, definitely not who I picked

Jul 3, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #101 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Yeah I can't believe it either. But, what I'm more surprised about is that france outplayed brazil. France vs portugal, definitely not who I picked

After watching France vs. Spain, I was convinced that they could beat Brazil. France has been playing the better soccer, as of late, and I had fewer misgivings about their defense and their older players than I had with Brazil.

Some of these guys, such as Cafu, Ronaldo, and Roberto Carlos, really weren't in shape for this world cup, something that was clearly reflected in their match against France. Perhaps if Parreira had played the younger guys instead, Brazil would have had a better chance. We really won't know.

-Matt

Jul 3, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #102 of 171
I think Roberto Carlos played a valient effort...

If you watch some recaps, he made crutial tackles and all were well timed and fair
He really plays an amazing leftback with his prowness to move forward and the stamina to run back. Both his passing and long ball control makes him a dangerous playmaker.

If you watch Carlos with the ball, you'll rarely find people able to mark him... it's not the footwork, but the pace. he's one fast mofo and can tackle you faster than you can him

I think that Brasil obviously has the most talent, however I think poor management has failed the great country

Ronaldo was by far the tournament's biggest disapointment... Through the years watching him play, I've only found that there are 2 things that have made him a tremedous striker:
1. tenacity - He "had" the pace and the strength to will the ball around the box
2. Finishing ability - Never has he been a stranger with placing a good shot... even now he's still has brilliant feet

Well this world cup has shown he's lost what he once had. Sure he can fire a couple balls in the net once in a while, he's made for that. The drive that made him such a brilliant player for Inter in the days of yore... is now gone

The Brazillian squad would have faired a better chance, if they played:

Adriano & Robinho as their 2 strikers
Emerson as a "stopper" (mid-defender)

*oh and Cafu... you were way too old to "try" to play a winger*

Right now... As a DFB fan.. "GO GERMANY" - schweinsteiger will be the next Effenberg! *Or did they just clone him?!"
580smile.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #103 of 171
Australia could have won the World Cup
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #104 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
Australia could have won the World Cup
wink.gif

No way, they wouldn't have been able to crack through Germany's defense.

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #105 of 171
Two great goals by italy. Although I have to say I'm a bit disappointed, I thought germany was the better team, and hoped they would win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back