The Official World Cup 2006 thread
Jun 22, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #31 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
USA vs. Ghana --

once again, the officials are completely shafting the US. i think something's going on, unless the World Cup purposely hired the sihttiest refs in the sport.

i agree. that push foul for the penalty kick to put them up 2-1 was total BS.

Jun 22, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #33 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
Czech and USA are out. Italy and Ghana qualified for the last 16.

which is probably how it would have turned out anyway... but apparently the referees didn't want to take any chances.

Jun 22, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #34 of 171
the US were in a very difficult poule, they don't have to be ashamed they didn't make tehe second round.

i've yet to see the match, too bad if they lost due to bad refereeing (is that a word?)

Jun 22, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #35 of 171
I can't say they would have won but the questionable penalty certainly hurt their momentum. It would prolly have ended at 1-1, which would have still sent us home.

Jun 22, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #37 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
USA vs. Ghana --

once again, the officials are completely shafting the US. i think something's going on, unless the World Cup purposely hired the sihttiest refs in the sport.

Agreed, but they still played like crap, and didn't play to their skill level. I feel the team lacked cohesiveness, and where the hell was Donovan? The managing also sucked, and I have no clue why Arena approached these games from a defensive standpoint????? They played midfield way too much, and shots on goal were minimal. Too conservative if you ask me. Yeah, the bad calls hurt them, but they also hurt themselves....and us!!

Jun 22, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #38 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
Agreed, but they still played like crap, and didn't play to their skill level. I feel the team lacked cohesiveness, and where the hell was Donovan? The managing also sucked, and I have no clue why Arena approached these games from a defensive standpoint????? They played midfield way too much, and shots on goal were minimal. Too conservative if you ask me. Yeah, the bad calls hurt them, but they also hurt themselves....and us!!

true. they should've come out fighting like they did against Italy. and after Ghana's (bullsiht) penalty kick, Arena should have sent them on a full bore offensive assault. USA owned the ball against Italy, there's no reason they couldn't have done it today (except maybe, partially, the absence of Mastroeni).

Jun 22, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #39 of 171
I don't know who to root for come ghana vs brazil game. The usa couldn't score goals that is why they got booted. The call took out any mommentum the us had from the earlier goal, but the ref did try to make up for it buy not fouling the usa for some of the viscious tackles on ghana players (the olsen(sp) trip right outside the usa box comes to mind). The usa was outplayed in every match of group play except for maybe the italy game, which saw spectacular defense for their first goal of the tourney.

ghana may loose one of its stars to cards in the brazil game, I can't wait to watch.

Jun 22, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #40 of 171
Japan is leading Brazil as of now.
tongue.gif
After 35min played.

Jun 22, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #42 of 171
I'll chime in as I have watched every single match so far.

The Good:

Netherlands (I have to, they are my boys!)
Spain
Ecuador
Argentina
Italy
Germany
Ghana

The Bad:

Brazil (Flame me if you will, but they have looked terrible in a weak group)
England (Same thing, terrible in a weak group)
USA (did someone forget to tell them they were playing the world cup and not friendlies?)
Poland
Croatia
France

Well that is my report so far. I don't feel like typing out a whole detailed reason, but I will defend my choices if asked LOL

THE TERRIBLE

By the far referees. The officiating has been embarrassing. It's as if they have tried to find the worse refs to showcase to the world how not to run a game. Just terrible!

Jun 22, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #43 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman

He was choking during the big show as usual. Thats where.

Jun 22, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #44 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I think the rule is that yellow card count is reset to zero after the first round. So the first game of round 16 everyone will be available.

Not quite. The yellow card count is reset to zero but only for those who have one booking. For those who got their 2nd in the 3rd group match like Essien are out for the 2nd round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back