The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 8, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #4,351 of 5,762
Most players are currently on 144HZ or even 60HZ. So 240HZ is rare, yes?
Didn't test all the outputs, but Line In surely has even more delay than when used as a DAC.

That's cos most people play single player games on lower refresh monitors. I have a 240Hz monitor and play fast paced online game like Quake Live. Any delay than is very noticable like this. I still can play lots of games like Witcher, Diablo, Dark Souls w/o any problems at all.

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #4,352 of 5,762
That's cos most people play single player games on lower refresh monitors. I have a 240Hz monitor and play fast paced online game like Quake Live. Any delay than is very noticable like this. I still can play lots of games like Witcher, Diablo, Dark Souls w/o any problems at all.
Well that sucks. I have a 240hz monitor as well and mainly play FPS games.

Jun 8, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #4,353 of 5,762
Didn't test all the outputs, but Line In surely has even more delay than when used as a DAC.

The Line In input is actually one of the worst on that amp. Digital inputs work best. It’s there mostly for convenience.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #4,354 of 5,762
Most players are currently on 144HZ or even 60HZ. So 240HZ is rare, yes?
240 probably didn’t even exist when the TA was designed. I’m still wondering if the problem is actually that the computer is the one introducing the delay and not the TA

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #4,355 of 5,762
Yes, I guess it would be an issue for some users who hook it to their computers....and have that refresh rate. That is fascinating that the computer could be somehow buffering to maybe get that rate. I’ll never need to try it, as I don’t play games with the TA. But can agree that it would be disheartening to have that happen.

https://www.head-fi.org/members/gamerlingual.531179/ say no lag ever I assume he doesn’t have that refresh rate?

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #4,358 of 5,762
That’s very strange indeed. When I had one of these, it displayed the frequency accurately, unless I connected a Samsung phone through usb. Those were always stuck on 48kHz regardless. I always used the remastering function. The tv was always connected through optical and it went from the usual 48kHz up to dsd12.2MHz. It might be an issue with your other device rather than the amp.
I had a look at the developer bluetooth settings on my Shield and there is an output trigger rate that was set to 96kHz, changing it to default has it displaying the correct rate. Maybe I had set everything on max when I first got it - I don't know if I should set it on default? Would this affect how the TA-ZH1ES would upscale if it is tricked into receiving a 96kHz signal or does it upscale based on the actual signal?

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #4,359 of 5,762
Yes, I guess it would be an issue for some users who hook it to their computers....and have that refresh rate. That is fascinating that the computer could be somehow buffering to maybe get that rate. I’ll never need to try it, as I don’t play games with the TA. But can agree that it would be disheartening to have that happen.

https://www.head-fi.org/members/gamerlingual.531179/ say no lag ever I assume he doesn’t have that refresh rate?
My screen is 120 frames per second. I’ll test something later. Anything in particular? Just any intense game?

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #4,360 of 5,762
No we are just saying it may have problems with the 240 monitors?

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #4,361 of 5,762
Jun 11, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #4,362 of 5,762
CS:GO with low settings and low resolution paired with a relatively new cpu should show any problems if they exist since the game engine is very old and can easily push above 240fps consistently. Could be a bunch of variables that create the potential problem though. Seeing one post way back saying that he only experienced it with "high gain" and then reported not getting it anymore etc. There just isn't much data on the topic. A web search only gives the little relevant information that exists online from this thread.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #4,363 of 5,762
You can try. My experience was that when I plugged it in 1st time windows 10 just recognized it and set it up, but then I had delay especially on a high gain. After some time I installed a driver and update zh1es firmware and delay was gone.
Wondering if this might be the issue with reported sound lag when gaming.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #4,365 of 5,762
Hi/Lo gain switch didn't make any difference in my case.
It would seem strange if that was the cause. What about USB ports? Could also be a windows thing when coming to think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back