The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 2, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #4,321 of 5,766
It didn’t lag in any game that I played while I owned this amp. However, it might lag for some, as was mentioned above. If it is caused by upscaling, then there is really nothing to be done as one cannot fully disable it.
The problem seemed to only happen with super high frame rates

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #4,322 of 5,766
I use the recommended Walkman/dock/remote/AQ Carbon cable but find with my listening habits I prefer using PC/Foobar as I can see all artists which inspires to listen to tracks and albums I overlook and to quickly switch albums, also I can easily sample new music online and watch Youtube music videos Facebook friends have shared.
I understand the dock has components that improve the sound, are there any recommended steps to improve on PC as a source? Does a higher grade sound card or solid state hard drive help? AQ Jitterbug or iFi Purifier3? They both seemed to get shot down on that 'other' forum.

Jun 3, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #4,323 of 5,766
I use the recommended Walkman/dock/remote/AQ Carbon cable but find with my listening habits I prefer using PC/Foobar as I can see all artists which inspires to listen to tracks and albums I overlook and to quickly switch albums, also I can easily sample new music online and watch Youtube music videos Facebook friends have shared.
I understand the dock has components that improve the sound, are there any recommended steps to improve on PC as a source? Does a higher grade sound card or solid state hard drive help? AQ Jitterbug or iFi Purifier3? They both seemed to get shot down on that 'other' forum.
I tried Foobar a few times and it just doesn’t really do anything useful for me. For one, it doesn’t seem to have exclusive mode. There were a few other odd things about it, like not playing at a correct frequency. I mainly use it for editing album art. If you really want to improve on the PC as a source, get Audirvana. It really does make a difference. An SSD should help beyond the considerations of speed. AQ Jitterbug makes a pleasant enough difference in my configuration also when playing from a Surfacebook.

Jun 3, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #4,324 of 5,766
I tried Foobar a few times and it just doesn’t really do anything useful for me. For one, it doesn’t seem to have exclusive mode. There were a few other odd things about it, like not playing at a correct frequency. I mainly use it for editing album art. If you really want to improve on the PC as a source, get Audirvana. It really does make a difference. An SSD should help beyond the considerations of speed. AQ Jitterbug makes a pleasant enough difference in my configuration also when playing from a Surfacebook.
Thanks for you input.
I may be wrong but I seem to have Foobar outputting at the correct rates. I've been using it for years as the add on components make it very handy. I've heard great things about Audirvana so I'll look into it. Although relatively minor the TA-ZH1ES and IER-Z1R do show the improvements of the dock set up so I'll weigh up the costs of ssd and Jitterbug.

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #4,325 of 5,766
Do you have WASPI installed with Foobar2000?

Jun 3, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #4,326 of 5,766
Do you have WASPI installed with Foobar2000?
I did for a past portable amp/dac set up but I believe Sony uses ASIO, and from the memory RME ADI-2.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #4,327 of 5,766
Now I remember, everytime I look into PC audio it opens a big can of worms, if there are some relatively simple steps I'll look into it, otherwise I'll just take advantage of the set up I have - it doesn't take much to swap from dock to PC.
It would be a bonus if the dock could pass through the PC output to amp.

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #4,329 of 5,766
Do you remember to use the PC pass through in the dock? That way you can use everything hooked up all the time.
Now I remember, everytime I look into PC audio it opens a big can of worms, if there are some relatively simple steps I'll look into it, otherwise I'll just take advantage of the set up I have - it doesn't take much to swap from dock to PC.
It would be a bonus if the dock could pass through the PC output to amp.

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #4,330 of 5,766
Do you remember to use the PC pass through in the dock? That way you can use everything hooked up all the time.
You can do that? I bought the dock last year locally for a giveaway price but only started using the it recently. I think the online instructions are only in Japanese which exceeds my simplistic understanding. I assumed that the switch on the back meant it was one or the other.
Can you please tell me how this is achieved?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #4,331 of 5,766
I use my TA for gaming and no lag.

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #4,332 of 5,766
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/hinomotocho.145148/

You take a mini-usb and plug it into the Cradle then run the regular USB to your computer. The switch on the back lets you choose if you want Walkman or PC as your input to the TA.

Jun 4, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #4,333 of 5,766
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/hinomotocho.145148/

You take a mini-usb and plug it into the Cradle then run the regular USB to your computer. The switch on the back lets you choose if you want Walkman or PC as your input to the TA.
Thank you, I have it hooked up to PC, maybe I misunderstood but I thought you were saying files from PC could be played back through the dock to the TA-ZH1ES? When you said passthrough did you mean transfer?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #4,334 of 5,766
Thank you, I have it hooked up to PC, maybe I misunderstood but I thought you were saying files from PC could be played back through the dock to the TA-ZH1ES? When you said passthrough did you mean transfer?
Yes, the Walkman in the Cradle and the PC going into the back of the Cradle. One direction is the Walkman as a source and switch the the other way enabling the PC to pass through. Put your finger into the only moving button on the back.

3E4D88BB-C4FA-4708-8BCF-4CF916235343.png

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #4,335 of 5,766

Users who are viewing this thread

Back