The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 4, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #4,336 of 5,766
Yes, the Walkman in the Cradle and the PC going into the back of the Cradle. One direction is the Walkman as a source and switch the the other way enabling the PC to pass through. Put your finger into the only moving button on the back.

3E4D88BB-C4FA-4708-8BCF-4CF916235343.png
Thank you very much, I had assumed it was purely for transfer of files.

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #4,337 of 5,766
It does both, you can add files to the Walkman, or play files on the PC. The Walkman shows up as a drive, though I never use it that way?

It was purportedly able to filter the Walkman to use the Walkman to playback files on the TA. Still I’m pretty sure the Cradle sounds best. Though another member later somehow showed there was no digital filtering, or at best could not find varied reports? Still the Walkman has a reduced noise than the PC. So I guess that is how I hear it as better? Still I can’t believe all that circuitry in for charging inside the cradle? I mean why would they need all that, when they don’t normally?

But maybe thing is what it takes to not use USB to charge?

038F3D1F-33A5-4CEF-971F-6057D4666306.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #4,338 of 5,766
That is good to know there is zero lag with the TA! I never use it that way.
It seems the lag reported earlier was with games at super high frame rates

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #4,339 of 5,766
It seems the lag reported earlier was with games at super high frame rates
Right, but most never have that issue. It was only at one setting, and a FPS. Normally not an issue.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #4,340 of 5,766
It does both, you can add files to the Walkman, or play files on the PC. The Walkman shows up as a drive, though I never use it that way?

It was purportedly able to filter the Walkman to use the Walkman to playback files on the TA. Still I’m pretty sure the Cradle sounds best. Though another member later somehow showed there was no digital filtering, or at best could not find varied reports? Still the Walkman has a reduced noise than the PC. So I guess that is how I hear it as better? Still I can’t believe all that circuitry in for charging inside the cradle? I mean why would they need all that, when they don’t normally?

But maybe thing is what it takes to not use USB to charge?

038F3D1F-33A5-4CEF-971F-6057D4666306.jpeg
From what another member found from his modding of the dock and from a combination of my understanding of Japanese and Google translating there is some form of filtering from the components in that picture. Someone's measurements may show it does nothing, like the iFi filters and AQ Jitterbug, but I find it to be improved from my PC's USB output.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #4,341 of 5,766
From what another member found from his modding of the dock and from a combination of my understanding of Japanese and Google translating there is some form of filtering from the components in that picture. Someone's measurements may show it does nothing, like the iFi filters and AQ Jitterbug, but I find it to be improved from my PC's USB output.
Nice to know, yes, it’s something!

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #4,342 of 5,766
Also it would be interesting if it filtered the PC too?

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #4,343 of 5,766
20210607_142715.jpg

Almost all my music are CD flac or SACD dsf files displaying either PCM 44.1 > DSD 11.2 or DSD2.8 specs - connecting my Fiio BTA30 with optical streaming LDAC from my Nvidia Shield seems to show this regardless of the audio specs of the video file played. I checked that the BTA30 has upscaling switched off, does LDAC automatically trigger the 96kHz because that's it's so called maximum rate?

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #4,345 of 5,766
20210607_142715.jpg
Almost all my music are CD flac or SACD dsf files displaying either PCM 44.1 > DSD 11.2 or DSD2.8 specs - connecting my Fiio BTA30 with optical streaming LDAC from my Nvidia Shield seems to show this regardless of the audio specs of the video file played. I checked that the BTA30 has upscaling switched off, does LDAC automatically trigger the 96kHz because that's it's so called maximum rate?
That’s very strange indeed. When I had one of these, it displayed the frequency accurately, unless I connected a Samsung phone through usb. Those were always stuck on 48kHz regardless. I always used the remastering function. The tv was always connected through optical and it went from the usual 48kHz up to dsd12.2MHz. It might be an issue with your other device rather than the amp.

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #4,346 of 5,766
That’s very strange indeed. When I had one of these, it displayed the frequency accurately, unless I connected a Samsung phone through usb. Those were always stuck on 48kHz regardless. I always used the remastering function. The tv was always connected through optical and it went from the usual 48kHz up to dsd12.2MHz. It might be an issue with your other device rather than the amp.

Android phones resample everything to 48kHz, what you saw was accurate

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #4,347 of 5,766
I'll test with another Bluetooth device. Upsampling is definitely off and I can't see another setting in the app that would cause it.
Android phones resample everything to 48kHz, what you saw was accurate
Is that natively, don't apps like USB Audio Player Pro allow bit perfect streaming via USB?

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #4,348 of 5,766
Looks like your BTA is resampling the signal before sending it to the optical out.
I checked the app settings and the upsampling was off, I'll see what turning it on does, I think upsampling is to 192

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #4,349 of 5,766
I'll test with another Bluetooth device. Upsampling is definitely off and I can't see another setting in the app that would cause it.

Is that natively, don't apps like USB Audio Player Pro allow bit perfect streaming via USB?

By default it’s all resampled, but as far as I am aware UAPP does use a different method and will give bit perfect output on supported devices

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #4,350 of 5,766
Does the type of connection (coax/toslink vs usb) affect the delay?
Didn't test all the outputs, but Line In surely has even more delay than when used as a DAC.

Why does it lag in gaming? Could it be related to upscaling features being enabled?

*edit* a search through the thread gave differing opinions, but it seems strange that it should lag.
That's cos most people play single player games on lower refresh monitors. I have a 240Hz monitor and play fast paced online game like Quake Live. Any delay than is very noticable like this. I still can play lots of games like Witcher, Diablo, Dark Souls w/o any problems at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back