The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 11, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #4,366 of 5,766
Spent some time the past few days with the TA and various input and format combinations, as well as for video applications. A couple of observations that may save future users some time:

1) Checking the sample frequency that the outputting device is feeding the TA is important for DSP settings (DSEE HX Upscaling, DSD Remastering) to take effect. Even if using compressed audio (mp3 files 320kbps or lower, variable bit rate mp3, etc.) and PCM 44.1khz (CD, flac files) sources, if the outputting device is set to a higher sampling frequency, then everything will be software upsampled before it reaches the TA, which may read it as a sampling rate to which DSP does not apply or is implemented differently. Lesson is, check the audio output settings on your PC, sound board, player, etc.

This point may be why some people felt these settings make no difference (though it can indeed be very subtle even when they are in effect).

2) For analog input on the TA, DSP settings only apply when analog input is set to PCM 48khz (the TA cannot automatically recognize the sample rate of the incoming signal from the analog inputs, so it has to be user-selected in the menu). However, when analog input is set to PCM 48khz, audio lags video by about half-second, even if all DSP settings are turned off. I'm guessing that for this setting, the TA has to carry out an additional process in the ADC step to prepare the signal for DSP, even if they are not active. Setting analog input to any other sample rate gets rid of any AV lag.

Other people reported lag also of .5 seconds with video when using a USB connection, though I have not tried this. The only USB input I've tested is an iPhone using a lighting to USB-B cable (BTW, these phones upsample everything to 44.1khz before it reaches the TA, so they can benefit from DSP settings). Optical input does not have this problem regardless of sampling rate or settings. Have not tested Coax.
This might be related to what we are currently discussing.

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #4,367 of 5,766
If I listen to multiple DACs at the same time the Taz is always half a second or so later than the rest. There definetely is some sort of lag.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #4,368 of 5,766
I don’t notice lag when on TV? If there was some sort of lag, it would make the TA unusable? Half a second? That would be highly noticeable? I’m going to have to test this?
If I listen to multiple DACs at the same time the Taz is always half a second or so later than the rest. There definetely is some sort of lag.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #4,369 of 5,766
I had a look at the developer bluetooth settings on my Shield and there is an output trigger rate that was set to 96kHz, changing it to default has it displaying the correct rate. Maybe I had set everything on max when I first got it - I don't know if I should set it on default? Would this affect how the TA-ZH1ES would upscale if it is tricked into receiving a 96kHz signal or does it upscale based on the actual signal?
Setting the Shield to output at 96kHz through Bluetooth is kind of pointless given that this protocol is very limited and can’t even support cd quality. AptX comes closer but not quite. Setting it on default would probably work best. Isn’t there an optical output on it that you could use? It would upscale anything to 384 or 12.2dsd regardless of what you put into it.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #4,370 of 5,766
Setting the Shield to output at 96kHz through Bluetooth is kind of pointless given that this protocol is very limited and can’t even support cd quality. AptX comes closer but not quite. Setting it on default would probably work best. Isn’t there an optical output on it that you could use? It would upscale anything to 384 or 12.2dsd regardless of what you put into it.
My Shield > TV are across the room from my desk where my TA-ZH1ES is, that's why I got the BTA30 to connect using bluetooth.
For some reason default keeps resetting to LDAC? It seems I can only set SBC, AAC or LDAC - as I was hoping to get the best out of my blu-ray rips I thought LDAC was the highest quality. I know the amp does a fine job upscaling but figured that a higher bit rate signal from the blu-ray soundtrack would have more info or detail for it to scale up, currently it would appear to be downscaled if using SBC or AAC to 44.1.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #4,371 of 5,766
My Shield > TV are across the room from my desk where my TA-ZH1ES is, that's why I got the BTA30 to connect using bluetooth.
For some reason default keeps resetting to LDAC? It seems I can only set SBC, AAC or LDAC - as I was hoping to get the best out of my blu-ray rips I thought LDAC was the highest quality. I know the amp does a fine job upscaling but figured that a higher bit rate signal from the blu-ray soundtrack would have more info or detail for it to scale up, currently it would appear to be downscaled if using SBC or AAC to 44.1.
SBC is just yuck. Hope it works out for you.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #4,372 of 5,766
I run an optical cable along the skirting boards from my tv to the TA

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #4,374 of 5,766
I was exaggerating, I have my Roon multi-device set up set to -150ms delay the Taz, the delay to my ears seems to be between 100 and 200 milliseconds. I have multiple DACs connected to the same amp so I can switch between them and compare, the Taz is the only one that does this.

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #4,375 of 5,766
Tested my TA using the MDR-1AM2 playing Doom Eternal and Street Fighter 5, and not ONE hint of lag at all.

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #4,377 of 5,766
The lag is there nontheless.
It is only there on your high refresh rate monitor, nowhere else for anyone else. And.....only on one setting on that monitor? For all you know it could even be caused by the computer?

You have witnessed a rare phenomenon......like seeing a ghost!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #4,378 of 5,766
I was exaggerating, I have my Roon multi-device set up set to -150ms delay the Taz, the delay to my ears seems to be between 100 and 200 milliseconds. I have multiple DACs connected to the same amp so I can switch between them and compare, the Taz is the only one that does this.
Why exaggerate?

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #4,379 of 5,766
Jun 11, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #4,380 of 5,766
SBC is just yuck. Hope it works out for you.
Yes, it would be a crime to feed TOTL gear that, I'll avoid that one at all costs. Sadly when I tested my Samsung S10 the other day that was the only selectable option in the developer settings :unamused:
I run an optical cable along the skirting boards from my tv to the TA
Thanks, I saw your post the other day and I looked into the maximum length for optical, I will see if it can work for my situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back