The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 17, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #4,276 of 5,766
May 18, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #4,277 of 5,766
I have 2 cats and a rescue blackbird that frequently trespass on my desk, plus my partners plants threaten from shelves above so I have come up with a temporary (?) rack set up for protection.
It consists of a $7 K-Mart metal filing tray with mesh sides and a nice solid piece of 8mm clear acrylic as a cover.
The photos show the acrylic currently sitting on the edges of the tray but I need to create some spacers to raise it up before using.
Can anyone please give me an idea of how high they would need to be to avoid heat build up? Bear in mind the sides and back of the tray are mesh and there will be a large gap between the spacers, I don't live in a hot climate and I would listen for an hour maximum.
The amp seems to run quite cool but if heat is any kind of concern I will hook up a USB fan to create flow.
20210518_212255.jpg
20210518_212112.jpg

May 18, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #4,278 of 5,766
I have 2 cats and a rescue blackbird that frequently trespass on my desk…

Completely unrelated, and at the risk of derailing the thread but can you share a photo of the cats and the bird friend?

May 18, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #4,279 of 5,766
Completely unrelated, and at the risk of derailing the thread but can you share a photo of the cats and the bird friend?
Yes, we want to see the blackbird!

May 18, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #4,280 of 5,766

Yes, we want to see the blackbird!
20210412_161043.jpg

Meet Pipi.

Just to keep the posts relevant, the TA-ZH1ES is a beast compared to the RME ADI-2 I had before - it had the depth of my compact keyboard and sat nicely under my monitor stand where as the Sony with the upgrade cable eats a quarter of my small desk.

May 18, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #4,281 of 5,766
20210412_161043.jpg
Meet Pipi.

Just to keep the posts relevant, the TA-ZH1ES is a beast compared to the RME ADI-2 I had before - it had the depth of my compact keyboard and sat nicely under my monitor stand where as the Sony with the upgrade cable eats a quarter of my small desk.
It is all a matter of comparison. I found the TA nice and compact coming from the RudiStor RPX-100 that was almost twice as wide and twice as tall and roughly same depth

May 18, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #4,282 of 5,766
20210412_161043.jpg
Meet Pipi.

Nice bird. Also, how do you compare the sound between those two?

May 18, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #4,283 of 5,766
I have 2 cats and a rescue blackbird that frequently trespass on my desk, plus my partners plants threaten from shelves above so I have come up with a temporary (?) rack set up for protection.
It consists of a $7 K-Mart metal filing tray with mesh sides and a nice solid piece of 8mm clear acrylic as a cover.
The photos show the acrylic currently sitting on the edges of the tray but I need to create some spacers to raise it up before using.
Can anyone please give me an idea of how high they would need to be to avoid heat build up? Bear in mind the sides and back of the tray are mesh and there will be a large gap between the spacers, I don't live in a hot climate and I would listen for an hour maximum.
The amp seems to run quite cool but if heat is any kind of concern I will hook up a USB fan to create flow.
20210518_212255.jpg20210518_212112.jpg
The things that we do to protect/accommodate our toys 😂😄. I’d say a centimeter would do. The sides of that enclosure are mesh. A good deal of ventilation of this amp can happen through the bottom of the unit. If you listen for only an hour you have nothing to worry about. I kept burning in headphones and cables last summer. This thing was sitting in a rack with ventilation not being the best. It got quite warm after 8-10 hours but not hot enough to cook food on.

May 18, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #4,284 of 5,766
Nice bird. Also, how do you compare the sound between those two?
Between the bird and the RME? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I didn't own at the same time to do a direct comparison, also I have a simplistic approach to gear and don't have a great deal of experience with desktops to give you a qualified opinion - I'll just share my experience when pairing with my MDR-Z1R.
From the RME my iems sounded fantastic using the iem output with default settings whereas pairing with my MDR-Z1R didn't impress me. I could appreciate the quality of the dac and having a more powerful output than the WM1A I was coming from but it did nothing for me. I tried some PEQ settings from some other members who owned or had tried the same pairing and still didn't find satisfaction. I had read several comments about the RME's dac being highly regarded and the amp being described as too neutral and boring(?) so I figured this was what I was experiencing. I see many people use it as a dac and add an amp for better results.
The RME has a a lot of settings to tweak the sound but I wasn't up for the task so decided to set my sights again on the TA-ZH1ES for a straightforward match made in heaven plug and play end game set up.
The TA-ZH1ES is straight up a more pleasing sound to my ears with both my IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R and in particular has a wonderful holographic soundstage which I find incredibly satisfying and from memory something I couldn't manipulate the RME to achieve. I'm not saying the Sony is all round better as I've also read reviews saying there are better amps than the TA-ZH1ES and highlighting areas it may lack but for me it was an ideal choice.
I hope this may be of some value.

May 19, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #4,285 of 5,766
Between the bird and the RME? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I didn't own at the same time to do a direct comparison, also I have a simplistic approach to gear and don't have a great deal of experience with desktops to give you a qualified opinion - I'll just share my experience when pairing with my MDR-Z1R.
From the RME my iems sounded fantastic using the iem output with default settings whereas pairing with my MDR-Z1R didn't impress me. I could appreciate the quality of the dac and having a more powerful output than the WM1A I was coming from but it did nothing for me. I tried some PEQ settings from some other members who owned or had tried the same pairing and still didn't find satisfaction. I had read several comments about the RME's dac being highly regarded and the amp being described as too neutral and boring(?) so I figured this was what I was experiencing. I see many people use it as a dac and add an amp for better results.
The RME has a a lot of settings to tweak the sound but I wasn't up for the task so decided to set my sights again on the TA-ZH1ES for a straightforward match made in heaven plug and play end game set up.
The TA-ZH1ES is straight up a more pleasing sound to my ears with both my IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R and in particular has a wonderful holographic soundstage which I find incredibly satisfying and from memory something I couldn't manipulate the RME to achieve. I'm not saying the Sony is all round better as I've also read reviews saying there are better amps than the TA-ZH1ES and highlighting areas it may lack but for me it was an ideal choice.
I hope this may be of some value.
Thank you!

May 19, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #4,286 of 5,766
This is what my entire bed side rig looks like (except there is now a different headphone cable), looks fine to me, but something like that is obviously entirely personal

Looks lovely to me. Certainly would like to have such a setup. Keep it up. :)

May 19, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #4,287 of 5,766
61bS9Ior6IL._SL1425_.jpg

The pioneers of electronic music who inspired the early English synth groups before morphing into early 80's synthpop.
These tracks really highlight the traits I love about the IER-Z1R with the TA-ZH1ES.
An example of how higher end gear has me appreciating other recordings that would otherwise not be my cup of tea.

May 22, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #4,288 of 5,766
Just got myself the device. Wow, sounds amazing, really great there, but...
I'm really dissappointed. TA is pretty much unusable for any online competitive shooters as a sound card. The delay is massive! Tried the low gain trick, didn't work. The delay is may be slightly less noticable, but still there. Any possible solution?

May 22, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #4,289 of 5,766
Didn’t know a real-time delay?

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #4,290 of 5,766
Just got myself the device. Wow, sounds amazing, really great there, but...
I'm really dissappointed. TA is pretty much unusable for any online competitive shooters as a sound card. The delay is massive! Tried the low gain trick, didn't work. The delay is may be slightly less noticable, but still there. Any possible solution?
That’s really strange. I did a fair amount of gaming and tv watching with mine and never noticed any av sync issues. It was either through usb or optical. Gain wouldn’t make any difference in this situation. I did some av sync tests just to make sure there was no latency. No problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back