The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 13, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #4,261 of 5,762
I just hope I’m not the only one who falls into that category of people not being to discern enough of the sound. I have read that some people prefer the WM1A over the WM1Z, so there are cases where people think the lower priced devices do sound better than their higher priced rivals or family members. The TA does everything great all around. Shanling is also coming out with a streamer, but not sure it can pair up with the TA.
As it so happens, lower priced gear can sound a lot better than the more expensive alternatives. Case in point would be Chord Dave vs. dCS Bartok. The difference is roughly $7000. It might be worth it to just stick with what you have and enjoy it. Save the money and use it on something else.

May 14, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #4,262 of 5,762
The Naim looks really tempting. I had been looking for a wireless unit that could connect to Roon and this fits the bill.

I love the TA. It's probably the DAC that opened my ears to a world of sound quality I had been ignorant off before. I'm afraid of comparing the DMP directly to the TA, because I fear I can't hear a difference. That's the downside of upgrading in the same product family. Using a different devices like Naim or SPL means it comes with its own signature, which may or may not to more to your liking, just like a fine wine!

May 14, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #4,263 of 5,762
The Naim looks really tempting. I had been looking for a wireless unit that could connect to Roon and this fits the bill.

I love the TA. It's probably the DAC that opened my ears to a world of sound quality I had been ignorant off before. I'm afraid of comparing the DMP directly to the TA, because I fear I can't hear a difference. That's the downside of upgrading in the same product family. Using a different devices like Naim or SPL means it comes with its own signature, which may or may not to more to your liking, just like a fine wine!
Nothing to be afraid of. Try it. If it doesn’t match, then it’s all in the marketing. Joshua Valour had a nice video on introduction to audiophile music. The marketing aspect was something I always imagined was true. No matter what excuses they use, they try to use that to their advantage to make the device sound more special than it is. But listening to the TA, I truly found it to be a step up from the 1Z. The DMP, unless my mind has been tricked, about as good as the TA. Even when using my IER-Z1R

May 14, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #4,264 of 5,762
Nothing to be afraid of. Try it. If it doesn’t match, then it’s all in the marketing. Joshua Valour had a nice video on introduction to audiophile music. The marketing aspect was something I always imagined was true. No matter what excuses they use, they try to use that to their advantage to make the device sound more special than it is. But listening to the TA, I truly found it to be a step up from the 1Z. The DMP, unless my mind has been tricked, about as good as the TA. Even when using my IER-Z1R
From many of your posts you seem to be peachy keen to get the DMP-Z1, but from other posts referring to your demoing experience you haven't really been able to see the difference for the significant step up in price. I haven't heard it so can't comment on it.
This is not intended to sound belittling or condescending so please don't take it that way - I myself am still learning so much after many years on here, especially the past 9 months as I went for overheads and desktop amps. It is only a year since you joined and started on the path to high end audio which is not really a long time, and you quickly rose through the tiers to TOTL gear. There is no right or wrong way to do it but I wonder if it also took away the usual evolution of having one dap or amp for a longer period of time and really getting to familiarise yourself with it before moving on to the next level? Also you acquired a lot of gear and perhaps saturated yourself with so many different signatures and pairings.
You seemed to have saved the money but are having second thoughts, perhaps it would be better to hold back and take more time ( a couple months) and settle on one pairing like the TA-ZH1ES and Z1R and really familiarise with it, then go and demo the DMP again, this may make the differences more obvious. Also I have found some albums scale well with better gear than others which can highlight soundstaging and instrument textures etc, others seem to sound flat regardless.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #4,265 of 5,762
It would be kind of interesting for the purpose of comparison to put the DMP against something from Chord in a similar price range and see how it fairs. Maybe a Hugo TT 2 with or without the M Scaler. Dave isn’t exactly playing fair given that it’s several thousand more.

What I found rather curious is that while TA does upscaling and remastering into 11.2 MHz dsd, it’s not exactly night and day when you turn it on and off. On the other hand, when you connect an M Scaler to a Dave or Hugo the difference is unmistakable. Admittedly, this is a nearly $5000 device but it’s addictively transformative.

May 14, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #4,266 of 5,762
The DMP-Z1 is not just a DAC, it's a portable DAC. And very likely the ultimate portable DAC. I remember when I fell in love with the Oppo HA-SE2. It opened my ears to new possibilities. I had it hooked up to my iPhone at the time and was streaming DSD to it. It was amazing! That's what lead me to buy the TA-ZH1ES, or Tazzy as it is lovingly called. And with that, I started trying out headphones as well. Eventually, I converged onto the Sennheiser brand as my preferred sound with the open design. That was the status quo for a long time until I tried the MDR-Z1R last year. The Z1R combines the best of open and closed headphones. Sony did a really great job with them. The highs are crystal clear and the lows have impact. Right now, they are my go to pair for the DMP-Z1. I tried the Focal Utopia with the DMP, but I didn't like that pairing as much. I wouldn't have gone for the DMP if I hadn't been so impressed by the TZ and Z1R. Right now, I'm eyeing the IER-Z1R as a continuation of my infatuation with Sony audio products. One day... :)

May 14, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #4,267 of 5,762
The DMP-Z1 is not just a DAC, it's a portable DAC. And very likely the ultimate portable DAC. I remember when I fell in love with the Oppo HA-SE2. It opened my ears to new possibilities. I had it hooked up to my iPhone at the time and was streaming DSD to it. It was amazing! That's what lead me to buy the TA-ZH1ES, or Tazzy as it is lovingly called. And with that, I started trying out headphones as well. Eventually, I converged onto the Sennheiser brand as my preferred sound with the open design. That was the status quo for a long time until I tried the MDR-Z1R last year. The Z1R combines the best of open and closed headphones. Sony did a really great job with them. The highs are crystal clear and the lows have impact. Right now, they are my go to pair for the DMP-Z1. I tried the Focal Utopia with the DMP, but I didn't like that pairing as much. I wouldn't have gone for the DMP if I hadn't been so impressed by the TZ and Z1R. Right now, I'm eyeing the IER-Z1R as a continuation of my infatuation with Sony audio products. One day... :)
Ok. So this is why I thought the TA was so good with the Z1R and thought the DMP just let it get louder. I don’t plan on buying power demanding headphones. I decided that the Focal Celestee will be my last pair IF my ears like their sound. I’m only able to afford my stuff since I mostly go the used route

May 15, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #4,268 of 5,762
I tried a Ta and DMP in berlin. The DMP-z1 has poisoned my head, what a lovely sound quality. I felt the dsd remaster of smo sis a huge difference esp with 16/44.1 .
This is facinating considering SMP has not the real sony walkman essence as the TA (S-Master DAC is on TA, but AKM now-out-of-print AK4497 on Z1)

May 15, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #4,269 of 5,762
Question: what headphone stands do you use or recommend? I've found some that are okay on Amazon. They feel a bit low and don't let the cords dangle as freely as I like.

I've tried the following over the years:

May 15, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #4,270 of 5,762
Question: what headphone stands do you use or recommend? I've found some that are okay on Amazon. They feel a bit low and don't let the cords dangle as freely as I like.

I've tried the following over the years:
A $4 foldable hook from Ikea

54714A66-1CB3-46DB-932F-DD48A8BFCAB7.jpeg

May 15, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #4,272 of 5,762
May 17, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #4,274 of 5,762
Well, that would not look good by my desk, bed, or reading table. :) Any other opinions?
This is what my entire bed side rig looks like (except there is now a different headphone cable), looks fine to me, but something like that is obviously entirely personal

C0AB83E7-7F90-4640-84C7-C92F6C570579.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back