The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 12, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #4,246 of 5,762
Congratulations Hino! You finally got your signature collection, enjoy it man.
Thank you - I have tried some other options but as you once referred to it as the 'audio trinity' I felt the Sony synergy was the best way to go for me.

May 12, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #4,247 of 5,762
A year ago I decided to get the WM1A as an upgrade to my ZX300 which pre-Mr Walkman firmwares had left me wanting a different sound. I also sold my portable dac/amp to finance it with the intention of having just one device with an iem upgrade, nice and simple, but a few events since then steered me on to a different course.

I could happily retire on my WM1A, and having the ability to tweak the sound with region changes and the firmwares adds so much value to an aging dap. Everytime I have listened to higher end gear and gone back to my WM1A I am looking to find fault to help justify spending more, but can't, even with my MDR-Z1R it doesn't lack.
But in saying that there is a joy and value in taking it to the next level, each step onwards and upwards whether it was a new firmware or getting the MDR-Z1R or IER-Z1R has me exploring and appreciating new and often different music or finding a new appreciation for music I already have adding a higher level of enjoyment.

I could never demo the TA-ZH1ES but from following various Sony threads have come to align with some other members and their experiences as we own the same gear and have gone through the evolution of Mr Walkman's firmwares so I almost knew what to expect. Often the term diminishing returns is mentioned but I have a more optimistic view and for all my upgrades have always extracted maximum value and enjoyment and never questioned the choice I made.

The TA-ZH1ES with my IER-Z1R is for me a significant step up from my WM1A, it has literally added another dimension to the music. I'm not particularly good with describing audio experiences but it is like those diagrams that show various stages of zoom in enlarging a component, each instrument in the mix is given a focus and space allowing micro details and textures to be heard.
My recent upgrade to the IER-Z1R took the word soundstage to a whole new experience but with the TA-ZH1ES that has unfolded and expanded out even further.
Recordings differ greatly and there are some albums that just don't impress regardless of gear, others, even old early 80's low budget first albums that sound fantastic, and there are others that can be milked with a higher level of gear and literally blow you away.
I got a good price for a 1 year old unit (AU$1750) which makes it a well worth upgrade to the WM1A (new AU$1200).
Happy to hear it worked out.

May 12, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #4,248 of 5,762
May 12, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #4,249 of 5,762
Many of your posts sharing your opinions and experiences have contributed to my purchase - thank you
He’s the Sony doctor and mentor

May 12, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #4,250 of 5,762
He’s the Sony doctor and mentor
I recently read both the IER-Z1R and TA-ZH1ES threads and can see where many of his 21,000+ posts are - Redcarmoose has hit the nail on the head many times for me

May 12, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #4,251 of 5,762
I recently read both the IER-Z1R and TA-ZH1ES threads and can see where many of his 21,000+ posts are - Redcarmoose has hit the nail on the head many times for me
He’s been a great influence. The fact that I was lucky to test his recommendations in Japan and how they fell in line with my joy of listening say a lot. DMP is still on my radar. But after what I saw Naim release (some amp, DAC, streaming device for $3200, it is making me pause since the DMP is way less than that. Doesn’t mean I’m buying Naim Uniti Atom. But now I can see why people say that the money can be better spent. The TA is a good example of a great device for the money. So good!

May 12, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #4,252 of 5,762
A year ago I decided to get the WM1A as an upgrade to my ZX300 which pre-Mr Walkman firmwares had left me wanting a different sound. I also sold my portable dac/amp to finance it with the intention of having just one device with an iem upgrade, nice and simple, but a few events since then steered me on to a different course.

I could happily retire on my WM1A, and having the ability to tweak the sound with region changes and the firmwares adds so much value to an aging dap. Everytime I have listened to higher end gear and gone back to my WM1A I am looking to find fault to help justify spending more, but can't, even with my MDR-Z1R it doesn't lack.
But in saying that there is a joy and value in taking it to the next level, each step onwards and upwards whether it was a new firmware or getting the MDR-Z1R or IER-Z1R has me exploring and appreciating new and often different music or finding a new appreciation for music I already have adding a higher level of enjoyment.

I could never demo the TA-ZH1ES but from following various Sony threads have come to align with some other members and their experiences as we own the same gear and have gone through the evolution of Mr Walkman's firmwares so I almost knew what to expect. Often the term diminishing returns is mentioned but I have a more optimistic view and for all my upgrades have always extracted maximum value and enjoyment and never questioned the choice I made.

The TA-ZH1ES with my IER-Z1R is for me a significant step up from my WM1A, it has literally added another dimension to the music. I'm not particularly good with describing audio experiences but it is like those diagrams that show various stages of zoom in enlarging a component, each instrument in the mix is given a focus and space allowing micro details and textures to be heard.
My recent upgrade to the IER-Z1R took the word soundstage to a whole new experience but with the TA-ZH1ES that has unfolded and expanded out even further.
Recordings differ greatly and there are some albums that just don't impress regardless of gear, others, even old early 80's low budget first albums that sound fantastic, and there are others that can be milked with a higher level of gear and literally blow you away.
I got a good price for a 1 year old unit (AU$1750) which makes it a well worth upgrade to the WM1A (new AU$1200).

* I worked 60 hours last week and realised I haven't even had time to try my MDR-Z1R yet
Enjoy it. It’s a nice combination. Hopefully your eyes and ears won’t be wondering if there’s something even better. At least for a while 😁😁😁

May 12, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #4,253 of 5,762
He’s been a great influence. The fact that I was lucky to test his recommendations in Japan and how they fell in line with my joy of listening say a lot. DMP is still on my radar. But after what I saw Naim release (some amp, DAC, streaming device for $3200, it is making me pause since the DMP is way less than that. Doesn’t mean I’m buying Naim Uniti Atom. But now I can see why people say that the money can be better spent. The TA is a good example of a great device for the money. So good!
Although the Atom is a great value, one can definitely find better. A used DMP would likely sound superior. Atom’s headphone output is slightly noisy in comparison to TA’s virtually black background. This particular variant could be an improvement but there’s so much you can do in that price range.

May 12, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #4,254 of 5,762
Although the Atom is a great value, one can definitely find better. A used DMP would likely sound superior. Atom’s headphone output is slightly noisy in comparison to TA’s virtually black background. This particular variant could be an improvement but there’s so much you can do in that price range.
Ah. So Sony is recognized as having no background noise for most of their products? Basically, the cost of the DMP goes to the sound, which I still feel is too close to the TA

May 13, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #4,255 of 5,762
Ah. So Sony is recognized as having no background noise for most of their products? Basically, the cost of the DMP goes to the sound, which I still feel is too close to the TA
Well, you could take a different direction If you can’t discern enough differences between the two. Why not try a streamer in the same price range? Linn makes very good ones. I really enjoy the Selekt DSM with the Katalyst dac. It’s very musical. Naim is a bit darker and veiled, even when it comes to its mid and top range streamers, which retail from almost $8k to over $20k. The Sony amp has a coax input and any of the Linn streamers have a digital out also. Unfortunately, I never tried it while I had that amp but with the Dave it works great.

Servers like Innuos Zenith are another option to look at. I tried one of those a few months ago and liked what I heard. I was just not taken with its control app. But from what I heard, they are working on something new. At $4800 for a 1TB model, it’s not a bad proposition at all. It actually pairs well with Sony. Very 3D soundstage and dark background.

May 13, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #4,256 of 5,762
Well, you could take a different direction If you can’t discern enough differences between the two. Why not try a streamer in the same price range? Linn makes very good ones. I really enjoy the Selekt DSM with the Katalyst dac. It’s very musical. Naim is a bit darker and veiled, even when it comes to its mid and top range streamers, which retail from almost $8k to over $20k. The Sony amp has a coax input and any of the Linn streamers have a digital out also. Unfortunately, I never tried it while I had that amp but with the Dave it works great.

Servers like Innuos Zenith are another option to look at. I tried one of those a few months ago and liked what I heard. I was just not taken with its control app. But from what I heard, they are working on something new. At $4800 for a 1TB model, it’s not a bad proposition at all. It actually pairs well with Sony. Very 3D soundstage and dark background.
I just hope I’m not the only one who falls into that category of people not being to discern enough of the sound. I have read that some people prefer the WM1A over the WM1Z, so there are cases where people think the lower priced devices do sound better than their higher priced rivals or family members. The TA does everything great all around. Shanling is also coming out with a streamer, but not sure it can pair up with the TA.

May 13, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #4,257 of 5,762
Enjoy it. It’s a nice combination. Hopefully your eyes and ears won’t be wondering if there’s something even better. At least for a while 😁😁😁
Thanks. I think I've reached my limit :sweat_smile:
The DMP-Z1 would be the obvious step up in the Sony realm but even at half the price I don't think I could justify it.
I was in e earphone in Osaka when they got their first one in store and they offered me a chance to listen to it but I declined - how could I have gone back to the ZX300 I had at the time:weary:

May 13, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #4,258 of 5,762

I’ve been using the TA with MDR-Z1R and an Auralic Aries Mini streamer for now over 4 years and have absolutely no desire to try anything else. Alternatively for travels I use the 1Z with the IER-Z1R (also use that at home sometimes and the IER with the TA).

May 13, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #4,259 of 5,762
Wondering when? I purchased mine in 2018? Still satisfied.

May 13, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #4,260 of 5,762
Thanks. I think I've reached my limit :sweat_smile:
The DMP-Z1 would be the obvious step up in the Sony realm but even at half the price I don't think I could justify it.
I was in e earphone in Osaka when they got their first one in store and they offered me a chance to listen to it but I declined - how could I have gone back to the ZX300 I had at the time:weary:
At half price I could have justified it if the sound quality was discernibly a step or two up from the TA, especially if the latter was taken in as a trade. Generally, I don’t audition equipment that I can’t reasonably purchase within a year or two. At the same time, I like to try new things to see if they are actually worth pursuing. Sometimes it helps to stop obsessing over top notch gear. That’s precisely what happened with dCS Bartok. It was rather like meeting one’s idol. It was extremely ordinary and very disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back