The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 11, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,866 of 5,761
For those connecting their Mac (or PC) computers to the TA via USB B, What're you using for software? I'm trying out Amarre Luxe, and really like it. Just wish it wasn't $100 though.

IMHO:

JRiver - Great functionality and sound but outdated UI. Has other extra features for other media types that you may or may not need.
Foobar - Most capable of all but need quite of bit of knowledge to configure and UI is by far the worst. But it's free.
Audirvana - Best UI and competitive functionality/sound. Strictly an audio player. Recently ported to Windows so that's what I use.

For me it seems like the Igalvanic is the problem,since even when i connect the igalvanic alone to my pc (No TA) my windows goes crazy and device manager gets spammed with connections on and off every second.Adding the TA,it sometimes detects it for half a second ,then it's gone.

For PC, I only used a 3.0 USB port and cable for iGalvanic and did not have a problem other than with TA. I would check to see how much current your USB port provides. There is a minimum for iGalvanic to work. But again, I don't know what good that will do since I don't think TA and iGalvanic work together.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #2,867 of 5,761
Well since it worked for 10-15 minutes that can't be the problem.I think i'm done chasing unicorns, tomorrow gonna get the Sony Kimber cable finally,and that's probably going to be the last change i do untill i eventually upgrade the TA to the Dave or maybe the DMP-Z1 depending if i get to hear it and where prices land.All these side-grades aren't worth the hassle.

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #2,868 of 5,761
Now that the dust has settled, I just wanted to say that I found it very amusing and quite ironic that a product, whose sole purpose is to offer a solution to a non-existing problem, actually created a new problem instead. :)

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #2,869 of 5,761
Wouldn't call it non existent,still not crazy happy with the TA.It's not like it (or most dacs) "just works " in a vacuum.The tidal app still can't detect the TA and cuts off sound sometimes.There are also dependencies like mains power.Lights flickered today, powered went out at some point ,some neighbours were using power tools before i guess.After the power came back on the sound did improve for a while.I'm sure i'm not imagining it,the TA sounds better later at night than in the morning.This is why i'd consider something like the DMP-Z1 that is self contained.Though i'm sure the Dave would beat it for SQ and is actually cheaper now.It's also supposed to be more or less immune to the power crap.

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #2,870 of 5,761
Wouldn't call it non existent,still not crazy happy with the TA.It's not like it (or most dacs) "just works " in a vacuum.The tidal app still can't detect the TA and cuts off sound sometimes.There are also dependencies like mains power.Lights flickered today, powered went out at some point ,some neighbours were using power tools before i guess.After the power came back on the sound did improve for a while.I'm sure i'm not imagining it,the TA sounds better later at night than in the morning.This is why i'd consider something like the DMP-Z1 that is self contained.Though i'm sure the Dave would beat it for SQ and is actually cheaper now.It's also supposed to be more or less immune to the power crap.
I say this jokingly: I'm sick of hearing you gush over the Dave. Just buy it already and redirect your unhappiness towards it. :)

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #2,872 of 5,761
I did love it.There is complicated math involved though.Is it 1 X TA + 1 X 114060 better? Still working on that :p
Given that I'm a bit older and wiser now, I'd say a nice trip to Japan with your better half is probably a better way to spend that kind of dough. :)

And btw, I think there's nothing more satisfying when it comes to owning watches than being a one-watch-man. So my advice is to make sure which is the watch you love the most, get it and never look back, at least not for 5 years.

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #2,873 of 5,761
Given that I'm a bit older and wiser now, I'd say a nice trip to Japan with your better half is probably a better way to spend that kind of dough. :)

And btw, I think there's nothing more satisfying when it comes to owning watches than being a one-watch-man. So my advice is to make sure which is the watch you love the most, get it and never look back, at least not for 5 years.
Completely agree on both points, that's why i didn't get the omega seamaster 300.Narrowed it down to the 114060 , daytona ,or wait for the next no date since this one is a bit old.Feels a bit like a sub for my dad's generation for some reason.Figured better to spend the dough on travel before kids and get the toys later but with covid...
Still not an easy decision to make... never regretted getting my car either,even though people said i was kinda crazy.But now that it's been gathering leaves and turds under a tree for 3 months...no regret,but less happy about the money spent :) .Dave's not getting any more expensive though (unless maybe Brexit? ) and something better might come along.

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #2,874 of 5,761
Jun 11, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #2,875 of 5,761
What are the names of thos Sony Apps?
Something like Music Center and Hi-Res Audio Player. Just go to the TA software download page on sony.com.

Jun 11, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #2,877 of 5,761
The Dave has actually been around for a while (2016 or thereabouts?). The day after he buys it, Chord will release the Ralph...
Lolololz!

Except that it seems Chord names get more boring as you move up the tiers, so they will probably release the John. :)

Except#2, they will release the John 1 month + 1 day after he buys the Dave.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #2,878 of 5,761
Something like Music Center and Hi-Res Audio Player. Just go to the TA software download page on sony.com.
I only have Music Center. I'll check out Hi-Res Audio Player. Thanks!

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #2,880 of 5,761
...or the “Charles” for which they will ask a princely sum...
True ,i know since it’s been out and i was a student,seemed loke something unreacheable at the time,but now,especially with the discounts available,it’s tempting,even when something new comes out in 2-3-4 years,with current hi-fi flagship prices i expect it to be double at least.And it certainly won’t get any worse,unlike my cash drain gaming pc for example:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back