The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Jan 3, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #842 of 1,101

Something new to consider: the Effect Audio Leonidas cable with 4.4mm balanced plug. :)

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #843 of 1,101
  Thank you for sharing your thought on the R10. Was it the bass light or the bass heavy version that you are comparing the Z1R to?  You seem to say the Z1R has too much bass, so how does the Z1R in terms of bass compare to the Vega or the LCD2 if you have heard either?  You also said the R10 is considerable better In terms of sound stage, can you clarify in what ways other than more realistic.  From my recollection on the R10 bass heavy version, I felt like I was listening in a closed in intimate Jazz club.  Sound stage is not big but very intimate.  By the way, I went back from page 50 and looked, didn't see the comparison regarding the Z1R and R10.  May be you mean the other 1Z thread?

It's a medium bass version.  I don't have the LCD2 here for a comparison but I would guess that the Z1R has a little more in term of quantity.  You can hear further and deeper soundstage on the R10.  The image is more precised and sound is more layered.  I would not called the R10's soundstage "intimate"  but the later serial number R10 definitely has smaller soundstage.

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #844 of 1,101

Something new to consider: the Effect Audio Leonidas cable with 4.4mm balanced plug. :)
What's it like compared to the uber?

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #846 of 1,101
[COLOR=111111]to me this player is not liked so well as his brother, they have a bad sound to me, they are too overpriced![/COLOR]
[COLOR=111111]I listened to them through headphones Sm64 and w40![/COLOR]

You are listening to a 3K player with SE, and justify it pricing already ? Wow. I would never take anyone point of view on any true balanced player by listening to SE

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #847 of 1,101
You are listening to a 3K player with SE, and justify it pricing already ? Wow. I would never take anyone point of view on any true balanced player by listening to SE

But to be fair, if one would spend $3K for a player, shouldn't they expect it to excel in SE and just do better in balanced? I mean if a $3K player can -only- be justified if listened in the ideal setting (balanced in the case you're alluding to), then that logic is also flawed.

However to address Gosod's views, how does the 1Z sound bad with SM64 and W40?

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #848 of 1,101
What's it like compared to the uber?

Hmmm... I use this on the FitEar 335. I think the Uber still does it for me. But the form factor of the Leonidas is excellent for its sonic qualities. It gives what I need when I am on the road and when I need to travel light.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #849 of 1,101
Peeps, just a quick heads up - the latest version of Dapper is up on the App Store. Worked with the Dev to get a profile established for the 1z/1a. 

There are some minor kinks to be worked out with the customized settings - if you are using it and have issues, feel free to reach out!

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #850 of 1,101

I kindda agree with that.

But to be fair, if one would spend $3K for a player, shouldn't they expect it to excel in SE and just do better in balanced? I mean if a $3K player can -only- be justified if listened in the ideal setting (balanced in the case you're alluding to), then that logic is also flawed.

However to address Gosod's views, how does the 1Z sound bad with SM64 and W40?

I agree with you on here as well, but he is shortchanging the player with SE output rather than balanced.  Remember that in SE, DSD is converted to PCM...so that alone will suffer some loss in fidelity.  Also, you can't compare a portable unit with a dedicate amp such as the TA-ZH1ES.  It simply isn't fair...it should be apple to apple in that sense.  I speculate that he is complaining about the sound of his 1Z to the ZH1ES.  Is that a Euro unit?

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #852 of 1,101
  I kindda agree with that.

I agree with you on here as well, but he is shortchanging the player with SE output rather than balanced.  Remember that in SE, DSD is converted to PCM...so that alone will suffer some loss in fidelity.  Also, you can't compare a portable unit with a dedicate amp such as the TA-ZH1ES.  It simply isn't fair...it should be apple to apple in that sense.  I speculate that he is complaining about the sound of his 1Z to the ZH1ES.  Is that a Euro unit?

What difference would it make if the ZH1ES were a European model?

Anyway, he is using Lars Ulrich as a profile picture, so how could anyone take him seriously?
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #853 of 1,101

What difference would it make if the ZH1ES were a European model?

Anyway, he is using Lars Ulrich as a profile picture, so how could anyone take him seriously?
biggrin.gif

None anymore since the volume cap has been hacked 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #855 of 1,101

You are referring to the Walkman and not the desktop amp, since the amp shouldn't be volume-capped?

But seriously, is has been hacked? How? Where? I need information!!!
eek.gif

lol, sorry didn't read your post properly, but yes the cap is done and dusted at last 

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool#Changing_destination_settings_and_sound_pressure_regulation

We're chatting about it on the other WM1 thread 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back